Slightly OT: Need recommendation for MP3 file renaming tools... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-12-2002, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,
I recently purchased an Alpine CDA-7897 auto head unit that can play MP3 data CD's. I also upgraded my home computer to Windows XP and added a new CD burner that is really fast.

The only remaining issue is that my library of MP3 files is named using the following naming convention:

Artist - Album - Track # - Track name

So I get file names like the following:

Todd Rundgren - One Long Year - 10 - The Surf Talks.mp3

Only problem with this is that the Alpine unit only accepts CD's burned with file names <= 31 characters including the .mp3 extension.

Anybody know of software that will take the previously mentioned file and spit out:

The Surf Talks.mp3

It would also need to be smart enough to be able to truncate the track name to 31 characters in the rare case where the track name exceeds 31 characters. And also strip out any characters not allowed in filenames, like apostrophes.

As a worst case scenario I might just have to write some code to do this instead of laboriously using windows explorer to rename files. Especially if I do it frequently.

Also, I will be using the Nero program to do the burning instead of Roxio as I have read a bunch of bad reports about Roxio and Windows XP.

Thanks,
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-12-2002, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a fan of Tag & Rename. It will rename the files as you wish using a pattern entered.

For example, if %1 is the artist name, %2 is the track name, %3 the album name, etc, %6 the track number. So you can just enter:

%6 - %2

And it will rename all the files in the hierarchy using that pattern.... You can also specify characters you wish to replace.

It doesn't seem to have an option for limiting the length of the filename, however. Theoretically, since ID3v1 tags are only 30 characters long, you could theoretically use those tags to limit the size if you left the track number off, but I understand why you might not want to do that.

It's also very good for standardizing your MP3 tags, and will retrieve tag info (including album covers) from AllMusic.com.

Remember, it's just television...
Planet Replay: http://www.planetreplay.com
Do you VUDU? http://www.planetvudu.com
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2002, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wow,
I just got this off of tucows and it is amazing! Thank you very much...

Robert
Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page