Powerline Network Setup Help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Morning All,

I've spent the last several months setting up a home theatre room built around a WDTV Live Hub, fed by two Live Book Duo's. Ripping is complete, everything is setup and working beautifully. I've gone fully digital with all my discs safely stowed away.

Then I got to thinking, "Hmmm....what if I want to watch a movie in another room?". This lead to me purchasing a WDTV Live with the hopes of streaming from my collection stored in the theatre, to the TV in the living. I set it up, connected it to my airport network, and successfully linked to the drives and had access to my content.

Performance was a little "hiccupy" at times, but I imagine that was to be expected when trying to stream full bluray rips over Wi-Fi. Most stuff worked fine, the rest I dealt with.

So then I started reading about Powerline Ethernet, and how this should be the answer to my problems (and perhaps an option for stream to even other rooms). So I had some Best Buy Rewards points, and ordered a NetGear Powerline 500 Nano set of adapters. Plug them in, and got all greens on both ends. 500mb listed, 194mb pass thru via Netgear tool, should be great right?

Well, I still get the buffering wheel periodically on any movie with a bitrate greater than 25/mb or so. So, for detail, here's my setup:

Living Room: Upstairs
WDTV Live
Comcast Modem
Airport Extreme (set to bridge)
Netgear Powerline Adapter

Theatre Room: Downstairs
WDTV Live Hub
Apple Time Capsule (set to bridge)
MyBook Duo connected to Time Capsule
My Book Duo connected to other MyBook via USB
NetGear Adapter.

Both apple routers are setup as "Create Network" but share same name and security settings. Both Netgear Adapters are showing full green, which should be significantly faster than the 25/mb or so I max out at.

My iMac, which is about 30 feet from the Airport Extreme, is pulling internet speeds at about 40mb, wirelessly.

Any advice, tips, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

So I just transferred a 19.5GB file across this same path and it completed in less than an hour. To my best estimate, that means its pushing at better than 50MB/s, should be more than enough for a decent stream, but alas, not so much.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I had the same problems and simply gave up on Powerline Ethernet. I ran cable instead. Everything works as intended now.

Looky here!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'd love to be able to run cable everywhere I need it, but at the moment we're in a rental so there's limitations to the holes one can drill.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try running jPerf between the locations, should give you a better idea of how much actual throughput you're actually getting between the locations.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you are only getting ~50Mbps throughput then you are on the limit for streaming full BD, especially if you have ripped in ISO form (very wasteful).

When you say your bitrate goes over 25Mbps, you are probably referring to just the video bitrate. Because you will have audio streams as well, plus a/v container overhead, ISO overhead, streaming protocol overhead. It all adds up.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After a bit of searching, I found this post. This person set up a test of streaming blu rays through PLAs of the highest bitrate blu rays he had, which the highest was 39Mbps. Streaming through SMB share was stuttery, and then streaming through DLNA was fine.

Try setting up DLNA. You'll have to stream from a PC, instead of the Hub.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page