Slow Network Transfer Time; Blu-ray Rips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recently I decided to put together a small server to take with me when traveling on my RV. I bought a used HP Mediasmart EX485 server with 8TB storage, using 4- Western Digital WD20 EARX drives, upgraded with an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200. I also am using a 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM Macbook Pro running Windows 7 on Bootcamp, an LG BE14 USB 3.0 Blu-ray drive, a Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter and a used Popcorn Hour A-110. I have it set up using toNMT, YAMJ and a Popcorn Hour A-110 (see reason for antiquated setup below).

A typical Blu-ray rip to the server fluctuates between 8 and 4 mB/sec every few seconds and then after a few minutes it settles down to about 4mB/sec. At this speed it takes about 1 ½ - 2 hours to complete a rip. If I rip a Blu-ray directly to the Windows 7 desktop it runs at a very constant rate of 22-23 mB/sec, so this seems to remove the LG drive from the list of possible suspects. I tried turning off “checksums” in the network adapters in both the Macbook and the server, but this had no measurable effect.

Help would be appreciated!

Background: Several years ago I built a DYI 40TB server running WHS V1 and ripped about 200 Blu-rays successfully using toNMT and YAMJ, playing on a Popcorn Hour A-110. The typical rip speed to WHS typically runs about 8-11 mB/sec and takes about 50 minutes for a straight m2ts rip. This system continues to work reliably so any updating would simply be for the sake of change only. In any event, this setup is not the cause of slow transfer on the network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know it something simple, did you try a different cat cable?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did change cables cat 5e cables and the switch as well, but everything came from my spare parts box. I think I will try some new cables and new switch to eliminate them from suspicion.

I also downloaded a Hotfix from MS that was supposed to help with speed problems on Windows 7 and WHS V1, but no improvement.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You may want to look at this solution for a problem I had, particularly the Size and LargeSystemCache items.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think I may have it fixed. I re-loaded that Hotfix on the server and now I am getting 10-12 mB/sec speed. The last time I tried it I mistakenly put it on the laptop C:/ drive. Duh!

Thanks for the help, but it looks as though I got lucky.