What do you use to back up your OS / Data? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
In the past month of so my Win 7 PC has been acting weird, and it had been freezing a lot. Well, I later learned my kids (4 and 7 yrs old) were turning the PC off by holding down the power button. Furthermore, I also learned that a few other not so smart people were doing the same. Well, my hard drive malfunction, but I was able to save the most important files out of it.

I built an UnRaid server, but Win 7 Home Premium edition doesn't let me save to network drives at all. Even if I had Win 7 ultimate I would need a windows server OS to accomplish this. So, I was wondering what other software people are using to back up their data to and from?

Now, that this happened, I am wondering if I should change from UnRaid to Windows Server OS? Or may be try making a Virtual Machine with both UnRaid and Windows Server OS.

I've heard of many people using Acronis. I downloaded the 30 trial, and this one lets me back up my data to my unraid server, but how would I go about retrieving my data if my Win 7 drives fails again? If there is anyone using UnRaid for backing up your data from a Windows PC, please let me know how you are doing it? and how will you be able to access your data to retrieve your info in case of a failed drive?

Thanks.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Restoring your data is the biggest challenge. This is why so many people use images of the OS drive as backup - because you can restore the image to a new drive pretty quick. The software used to restore an image still must be able to access both the image and new drive, which usually means use of a boot disc or boot software on a thumb drive. (and a motherboard capable of booting from either)

I use a spare HDD installed in the Windows machine to hold images of the OS drive, as it's easy to access if needed. You can also use the backup software to mount and access the contents of an image file if you want just one file.

Using NAS to store backups is still a great idea for safety and redundancy. Having just one copy of your backup isn't very safe. But accessing NAS from a boot environment isn't easy since it requires network access and drivers, which are often lacking in such boot discs.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Restoring your data is the biggest challenge. This is why so many people use images of the OS drive as backup - because you can restore the image to a new drive pretty quick. The software used to restore an image still must be able to access both the image and new drive, which usually means use of a boot disc or boot software on a thumb drive. (and a motherboard capable of booting from either)

I use a spare HDD installed in the Windows machine to hold images of the OS drive, as it's easy to access if needed. You can also use the backup software to mount and access the contents of an image file if you want just one file.

Using NAS to store backups is still a great idea for safety and redundancy. Having just one copy of your backup isn't very safe. But accessing NAS from a boot environment isn't easy since it requires network access and drivers, which are often lacking in such boot discs.

Yeah, I think I will be buying another drive strictly for back up purposes.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page