UltraViolet not showing up in Vudu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, I am pretty ticked off. Tonight, I was at Target buying groceries and I purchased a Blu-ray title: Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds. This title came with an UltraViolet code; so, after unpacking the groceries, I went to my computer, logged into www.ParamountMoves.com/blah/blah and entered the code.

Well, I had to create an account on the site, because I've learned hard lessons in the past: if you just go to Vudu.com or UltraViolet (uvva.com) and enter the code, the titles doesn't always appear. Then, it's a customer service call. I've had to endure this with Vudu and Sony. But, I digress...

So, I followed the instructions on the insert, verbatim.

And, guess what? My new purchase failed to appear in Vudu. Let's be frank - no one is going to ParamountMovies.com and watching anything. I paid extra for the UltraViolet version of the title, because I expected it to be accessible via Vudu and, hence, my Roku and Blu-ray players.

Here's the subsequent exchange between me a customer service representative from VUDU:

From Me:
Quote:
Hello, I just applied a code on ParamountMovies.com for Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds. It correctly displays in my Ultraviolet account (uvvu.com), but doesn't appear in my Vudu account.
These accounts are linked and all of the rest of my titles display correctly.
This is the first time I had to create a new account on ParamountMovies.com to enter the code.
Can you find my missing TV episode?

From VUDU:
Quote:
Hello Kenneth, and thank you for contacting VUDU customer care!

I see your trying to find your tv show Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds. I took a look at our web site and found that Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Best of Both Worlds is not on our web site that is why your not seeing it in your account.

You would have to login into Paramountmovies.com to be able to watch that episode.

If you have any further questions please feel free to give us a call with the number provided below. Thank you and have a great day!

So, to make sure I understood what was happening, I asked a clarification question:
Quote:
OK, so that I understand. UltraViolet on the package for a Blu-ray doesn't always mean that it will be available in Vudu?

And VUDU's response:
Quote:
Hello,
Thank you for contacting VUDU Customer Care.
This is correct. Ultra Violet links several companies together but not all movies can link to and from all those accounts.

Well, my sympathies for the entertainment industry just vanished. I guess I am naïve and ill-informed, but I feel ripped off. I am trying to do the right thing, but the studios are making all of this too hard.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Liked: 32
That movie does not show available in the Vudu library, so it appears that the rep is correct, that you are going to have to watch it on Parmountmovies.com if you wish to watch away from home.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That movie does not show available in the Vudu library, so it appears that the rep is correct, that you are going to have to watch it on Parmountmovies.com if you wish to watch away from home.

Thanks... I think I made that point above. But my expectation was that UltraViolet was synonymous with Vudu and it's not. When you buy Blu-ray in the store, and it comes with a digital copy from UltraViolet, you need to check with the studio to see if your player has license for that title (well, if the player's software does - in most cases, we are really talking about Vudu).

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #4 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 PM

As it appears, your ideology along with expectations about Vudu is actually higher than expected. They have to pay to license the content, that you are actually paying for, that has the code on the container for the movie. Also Ultraviolet is a cloud based DRM licensing system. That means that just because there is a code on the box, does not mean that it allows you to watch that movie through any provider that uses the UV licensing system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(system)
post #5 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As it appears, your ideology along with expectations about Vudu is actually higher than expected. They have to pay to license the content, that you are actually paying for, that has the code on the container for the movie. Also Ultraviolet is a cloud based DRM licensing system. That means that just because there is a code on the box, does not mean that it allows you to watch that movie through any provider that uses the UV licensing system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(system)

Yes, again, I understand all that; we are in violent agreement. But when I am in the store, looking at the box, I have no way of knowing how I will be allowed to view the digital copy I am about to purchase. It's simply another example of fragmentation that you think is acceptable and I do not.

post #6 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Yes, again, I understand all that; we are in violent agreement. But when I am in the store, looking at the box, I have no way of knowing how I will be allowed to view the digital copy I am about to purchase. It's simply another example of fragmentation that you think is acceptable and I do not.
It appears that the only person getting upset and violent about the matter is you. Really it is a honest mistake. You thought that the UV license allowed you to watch the digital copy on Vudu, even though it was a Paramount only product.

I am sure if you read through the TOS info that Paramount has, you may be enlightened as to what their restrictions are with their discs that use the UV DRM license.

Again, if you want to blame anyone, blame yourself for not reading the TOS before entering the code, or clicking okay. Another way to look at it, is that because all doors and vehicles use a physical key that you can see, hold, feel in your hands does not mean that key will work in any lock that you place it in. The same holds true for Key Fob's for vehicles. Just because it is for Ford, GM, Chevy, Mercedes, Lexus, Fiat, etc., does not mean that it will work with any vehicle, regardless who made it, even though the same manufacturer made the same key fob that looks like the others.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It appears that the only person getting upset and violent about the matter is you. Really it is a honest mistake. You thought that the UV license allowed you to watch the digital copy on Vudu, even though it was a Paramount only product.

I am sure if you read through the TOS info that Paramount has, you may be enlightened as to what their restrictions are with their discs that use the UV DRM license.

Again, if you want to blame anyone, blame yourself for not reading the TOS before entering the code, or clicking okay.

Ha Ha... again, you are agreeing with my point, if you replace the above with: '...blame yourself for not reading the ToS before purchasing the disc at the store...'.

Remember that the UV versions of the packaged BDs cost more; it's not a freebie.

post #8 of 23 Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM

I am not agreeing with whatever you think I am agreeing to. It is only yourself to blame on not paying attention, when you put in the code, and also how UV works.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-04-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
IMO, UV is a big CF. Even tho I have quite a few UV titles they rarely get used. The graphic says it all (just BS), it should say "Watch on SELECTED devices" because Any Device is not true. Same for watch anywhere, it show say "Watch Selected Titles on Selected Sites".

Quote:
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is looking to make the UltraViolet experience easier for consumers by including Quick Response (QR) codes on every UltraViolet-enabled disc title going forward, beginning with the April 30 release of Broken City.

The system allows users to scan the QR barcodes included next to the 16-digit redemption codes users would normally have to type in manually. Scanning the code — via a smartphone or tablet — will instantly allow UltraViolet owners to redeem their Fox UltraViolet title at FoxUV.com.

“We’re trying to make it as simple as we can for the consumer,” said Vincent Marcais, EVP of brand marketing for 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

After scanning the code, users will be asked to redeem an UltraViolet version of the title enabled by Vudu.com or Flixster.com, with the redeemed titles also showing up at the UltraViolet website UVVU.com.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Wow - I totally get where Krutsch is coming from.

What is the point of UV on the label if you don't know which UV devices can play the content.

My experience with UV is pretty mixed. I converted some DVD's to HD but many went from good 5.1 audio to stereo. Yes the picture quality is better - but the audio is worse......

Sigh.....

The studios still don't get it.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The only two that seem to have their shite together are Amazon and Apple.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Wow - I totally get where Krutsch is coming from.

What is the point of UV on the label if you don't know which UV devices can play the content.

My experience with UV is pretty mixed. I converted some DVD's to HD but many went from good 5.1 audio to stereo. Yes the picture quality is better - but the audio is worse......

Sigh.....

The studios still don't get it.

Thanks for that... this is why I rip/encode from optical plastic. I can control the quality and the audio options; and, I can also get rid of the annoying previews and logos. I can hardly stand to watch a physical disc anymore, because of the endless previews that are difficult to skip.

The UV thing just pushed me over the edge. I also tried the disc to digital program at Walmart and discovered that very few of my discs were licensed for conversion to UV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur View Post

The only two that seem to have their shite together are Amazon and Apple.

I would agree with that %100. I think that Apple is a little better, because their playback device (i.e. Apple TV) is better suited for real world playback - they buffer up to 8GB at a time, so they elegantly handle varying network conditions. I have a 50 Mbps connection, but on a Saturday night, Amazon can get busy and my Roku doesn't have the same buffering capability.

I don't have a 106" projection screen, so I don't see the PQ differences between iTunes and Vudu (along the lines of the other threads on this topic).

From my user experience with UV, Vudu won't survive.

post #13 of 23 Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 AM

Liked: 10
I'm pissed too. I just bought The Big Bang Theory season 6 on bluray expecting to have my UV copy work with Vudu like season 1 and 2. I got the same response from Vudu. I'll be calling later today and claiming false advertising. They can't say "Any Device" because I can't watch it on any of my devices.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoll84 View Post

I'm pissed too. I just bought The Big Bang Theory season 6 on bluray expecting to have my UV copy work with Vudu like season 1 and 2. I got the same response from Vudu. I'll be calling later today and claiming false advertising. They can't say "Any Device" because I can't watch it on any of my devices.

FWIW, Vudu has gotten a little better. I recently decided to go through my back-catalog of old DVDs and see which ones I could upgrade to HD via Vudu's Disc-to-Digital program. Since many were older titles, it turned out that most of them qualified. I used the VuduToGo app that I downloaded on my Mac. It saved me the trouble of ripping the DVDs and I ended up with the HD version for $2.50 / disc (i.e. if you convert 10 or more they offer a 50% discount, which translates to DVD --> HD for $2.50 per disc). Then, I took a pile of used DVDs in their cases and sold them at a second-hand bookstore for a net gain cool.gif

And, using a Roku, I can quickly search my available titles on Amazon Prime, Vudu and Netflix; if only there was a way to search my rather large iTunes library at the same time (I've been 'archiving' my DVDs and BDs for some time into iTunes); my collection is big enough where I am losing track of what I own, but the Roku search piece is a big step forward.

However, the 'Any Device' thing is still a problem with newer titles. Another thing to be aware of: make sure you redeem the UV code at the web-site listed on the insert - don't just go to Vudu.com; if you do, you may not see the title in your library but the code will be "consumed" by the system. This has happened to me twice, until I called Vudu technical support and they explained what was happening.

post #15 of 23 Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoll84 View Post

You can stop your ranting, the problem has been rectified.

http://www.vudu.com/redeemecopy.html?pdefid=10:944

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #16 of 23 Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, vote with your wallet and dont buy ultraviolet titles.

The irony is that if you download a pirated copy, none of these restrictions/limitations apply.

Again, vote with your wallet. That is the only thing the studios understand.
It has to impact their bottom line / pocket book.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Ok I have project x & blow that aren't showing up on my vudu account & I have checked they are both available on vudu for customers to rent and buy. So why won't they transfer the purchase I have already made since they are partner accounts?
post #18 of 23 Old 11-30-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman63 View Post

Ok I have project x & blow that aren't showing up on my vudu account & I have checked they are both available on vudu for customers to rent and buy. So why won't they transfer the purchase I have already made since they are partner accounts?

You don't cite many details. Are these free movies you got on Flixster? If so, most likely they won't show up.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #19 of 23 Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 AM

I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer, I did say my purchases on flixster. But to be more clear, I purchased the 2 movies from description in blu ray pack that came with digital copy codes. The codes said to redeem through ultraviolet.flixster.com and I did. The movies were added to the both ultraviolet and flixster accounts, but didn't get added to my vudu account. All the accounts are linked together, movie codes I've added to vudu all show up on the ultraviolet and flixster accounts.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

I paid extra for the UltraViolet version of the title
And there's your problem right there. It would appear your lessons learned weren't that hard since you still paid extra for DRM, a system that has NO BENEFIT WHATOSEVER for the customer.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #21 of 23 Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 20
I hate when things are Ultraviolet only.

I recently bought Man of Steel, and the only digital copy available was through Flixster via Ultraviolet (maybe it was the other way around). Meant signing up for yet another service/site I really don't want to have to be a part of.

Went to watch the HD version and was unable to since my monitor (Apple LED display) does not meed HDCP requirements. So, now HD version for me. I'd have to donwload their crappy software and watch that one movie there.

Sent an email to the studio asking for at least the option to just get an iTunes version. Every other movie I have a DRM digitial copy for is in iTunes. Really bummed I have to use what they want, not what I want.
post #22 of 23 Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post

Really bummed I have to use what they want, not what I want.
That's why we rip everything and bypass the DRM. Then you could use anything you want.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #23 of 23 Old 12-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Liked: 20
Yep. That's the alternative, for sure.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page