Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I think my demands are actually pretty meager:

I've decided I'm not going to be able to live with my WDTV Live not passing DTS HD...or 7 channel surround.

So now I'm on the hunt for a player that will:

1. Find me my movie art and automatically update my library. This was the one of the unsung features of the WDTV to me. Very nice. The less I have to do (and jack up), the better. I could be wrong (and hope to be, actually), but this doesn't seem to be a big priority with many MP's. Sure, I'd like to be able to change things if necessary, but thus far I've been happy with 99% of the covers and info my WDTV came up with.

2. Can downmix multi channel codecs to 2 channel PCM and output them over optical or coax so I can send them to zones 2 and 3 on my AVR.

3. Reliably play my mkvs and likely, eventually, ISO's. 3D will likely never be much of a priority.

thanks for all the help, it's a shame the WD isn't doing it for me, as it's about 95% of the way there. I'd like to stay at $200 or below, please. But I could prolly have my arm twisted to $250...

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You have some options it all depends what route you want to go. If you dont want to involve a PC your only option is a popcorn hour. they are the only player at the moment that has its own internal scanner and jukebox that runs 100% on the unit itself, If running a pc jukebox does not bother you then you get into the world of DUNE and zappitti it runs on a PC and you export the jukebox to run on the dune. Both these solutions offer proper jukeboxes with both movie and tv support. Then from there you step into mede8er world again it runs on a pc to create the jukebox but it is lacking a real jukebox is has a decent enough movie jukebox but the tv side is lacking.

All these units will downmix dd and dts to 2 channel. and all of them will play mkv files without issue.

popcorn a400 - 249$
Mede8er MED600X3D - 199$
TV-303D - 199$

These prices are for the most newest generation of players. Of the models listed above the A400 is only one that can do internal storage the other two are models that dont do internal storage but have a counterpart that does for a little bit more money.

If you think you will never ever ever want 3d support. You can step back a couple generations to a smart series DUNE or a PCH a200 should be able to find them pretty cheap around the web and be fine with them as well
post #3 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thank you. Again, I have to say that I'm really surprised the built-in jukebox for-dummies isn't at least an option with these things. I realize media players are largely "tweaker devices" but you can really sway guys like me who are on the edge with that kind of stuff.

Let me ask you this: I'll eventually want 2-3 of these (media players). Will something like the PCH 210 act/look/operate similarly to the 400, minus the 3D support? And regarding the PCH 400 does it offer similar functionality to that of the WDTV where it will consolidate the internal drive, a connected USB and or a network share like my seagate?

I REALLY appreciate the help!

James

post #4 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have very similar hopes for a media streamer, and have been looking at it myself for some time. I only recently retired my Boxee Box (which is still the BEST in terms of the automatic scraping you talk about - but can't handle HD audio) and right now am using a WD TV SMP temporarily. The UI on the WD is just too slow, and the movie selection process isn't what I was looking for.

If I had to buy one box today, I think I'd go with the Mede8er 600X3D. It has a lot of positive buzz here and I like its feature set. But everything halfelite describes is pretty much where things stand right now. Nobody makes exactly what both you and I are looking for. A box that will play most formats, can handle HD audio, and has a great, built-in scraper and movie wall.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hear ya, but, ideally, doesn't the A-400 do just that? Perhaps our definition of a "great" movie scraper/wall is different, but the WDTV was pretty darn good for me, so I expect NMT to be at least as good.

The Mede8er demands external control for a JB, does it not? While not the end of the world, I'd prefer to avoid it if I can.

James

post #6 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I hear ya, but, ideally, doesn't the A-400 do just that? Perhaps our definition of a "great" movie scraper/wall is different, but the WDTV was pretty darn good for me, so I expect NMT to be at least as good.

The Mede8er demands external control for a JB, does it not? While not the end of the world, I'd prefer to avoid it if I can.

James

Yes the A400 is an internal jukebox the main issue is the jukebox is per device. So if you have usb devices connected it ones jukebox but a samba share is another device and it has its own jukebox. Now with the edition of NMJtoolbox you can setup multiple devices in one jukebox but I dont know if after setup if you can use the internal scanner or if you have to use nmjtoolbox to scan I will try to get an answer and post back.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, if it helps my Seagates won't connect via USB at all anyway, they're just used for a slave HDD.

Both- or potentially 3- would connect via Ethernet to a switch.

Thanks again.

James

post #8 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you had ever tried the Boxee, I think you would see how the WDTV falls woefully short in that area - or at least it has so far with me.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I confirmed In order for multiple sources to work you have to set it up one time on a pc using NMJToolbox to get the scan paths inside the database once that is done all the scanning and things can be done by the popcorn hour itself
post #10 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ so long as that's a one time process I can handle that.

Thanks!

James

post #11 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I confirmed In order for multiple sources to work you have to set it up one time on a pc using NMJToolbox to get the scan paths inside the database once that is done all the scanning and things can be done by the popcorn hour itself

Again, thanks for the heads up, just want to re-confirm I can indeed do this with (2) HDDs attached to my network via ethernet after receiving this response from Cloud Media:

Me: If I have (2) Seagate Central external hard drives plugged into a switch (via ethernet) that the 400 is also connected to, will the 400/NMT jukebox software consolidate all of my movies onto a single wall/screen?

Cloud: No. A400 will consolidate them into two different wall, one for each harddisk.

Are the simply not aware of what their hardware/software is capable of or did they misunderstand the question?

James

post #12 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

If you had ever tried the Boxee, I think you would see how the WDTV falls woefully short in that area - or at least it has so far with me.

Are you using the stock Mochi UI? Have you tried different themes? I'm using Simple theme for my SMP and Hub love it...very fast...
post #13 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Again, thanks for the heads up, just want to re-confirm I can indeed do this with (2) HDDs attached to my network via ethernet after receiving this response from Cloud Media:

Me: If I have (2) Seagate Central external hard drives plugged into a switch (via ethernet) that the 400 is also connected to, will the 400/NMT jukebox software consolidate all of my movies onto a single wall/screen?

Cloud: No. A400 will consolidate them into two different wall, one for each harddisk.

Are the simply not aware of what their hardware/software is capable of or did they misunderstand the question?

James

Im guessing cloud media is a vendor? The A400 can not natively do what your asking so in a way they are correct, you need to use NMJToolbox to set it up. They may not be aware of this and are only reading off of a "script".......
post #14 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Im guessing cloud media is a vendor? The A400 can not natively do what your asking so in a way they are correct, you need to use NMJToolbox to set it up. They may not be aware of this and are only reading off of a "script".......

Cloud media is the rebrand name for popcorn hour. The consolidated the popbox,pch,syabas under one name cloud media. And they are correct in that it does not do it out of the box. But as explained the database used for NMJ and the backend support multiple locations just the front UI end inside the A400 have no way to make multiple locations into one so the key piece that is missing is filled in using NMJ toolbox.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page