Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What I am looking for:
1) Around 2 TB storage
2) Would allow me to connect my Segate go Flex drive (storing all my movies on this drive).
3) Has to have an option to disable Cloud sharing - Really do not want info on the drive avaialble outside my own network and I do not want a large security hole having to be able to access the drive from the manufactures website.
4) Has to have the ability to be able to access this drive via a smart TV (don't have one at the momment but will get one in the future). I am thinking if the TV can connect to my network either wireless ot via a cable it should be able to access this drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishMouse View Post

What I am looking for:
1) Around 2 TB storage
2) Would allow me to connect my Segate go Flex drive (storing all my movies on this drive).
3) Has to have an option to disable Cloud sharing - Really do not want info on the drive avaialble outside my own network and I do not want a large security hole having to be able to access the drive from the manufactures website.
4) Has to have the ability to be able to access this drive via a smart TV (don't have one at the momment but will get one in the future). I am thinking if the TV can connect to my network either wireless ot via a cable it should be able to access this drive.

Are you looking fr 2 or 4 bay unit? What's your budget? Most NASes on the market today support external USB/eSATA Drives, but if you're gonna have a NAS, why not move the content of the external drive to the NAS? Disable Cloud Sharing? Just don't forward any ports to the NAS, from your router. Stream media to a SmartTV? Depends on the SmartTV you're planning to get....
post #3 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 59
In all honesty 2TB is not something you would get a NAS for its a waste of money you are better off popping a 2tb drive in a windows PC and sharing it out, and you would use upnp software to send video to your tv.

Now if you plan on expanding in the future and are willing to put the money down. The synology line is something to look at. the packages let it come with all sorts of software.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

One of the reasons why 2TB would probably work for now is my Go Flex is a 2 TB drive so combining the 2 would give me 4 TB total.

I tried to share the Go Flex on my wireless network but it was way to slow, the DSL router from the phone company is only G so streaming movies from the computer to the router then out to another computer didn't really work.

I figured if I connect directly into the router with a NAS drive then my connection will be increased.
Then if I switch to a wired system I would be able to stream the contents of the drive to any computer connected to the network.

Maybe getting something wih 2 bays would work best for the future since I could always add another drive gving me more storage.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

What I am looking for:
1) Around 2 TB storage

If all you need is 2TB and you already have a Seagate GoFlex then why do you need anything else? Your movies are on the Go Flex which is ethernet connected to the router and if you get a smart TV that will have ethernet connection too so you'd already have everything you need to play your movie files off the Go Flex to the TV so what do you need another NAS for? If the Go Flex you have is only 1 TB and you're running out of space then you could just buy another one. You just might want to keep in mind though that 2TB is really that much for video and if you're just going to run out of space again then continuing to add new boxes to add 1-2TB at a time may not be the most elegant solution. As far as cloud sharing, if whatever you buy for a NAS has it then just don't set it up. There's no rule that says you have to use every software and feature that comes packaged with it. If all you want it to do is store your videos on your home network to serve to the TV then you shouldn't even have to install any software that comes with it since they should all be plug and play to do that right out of the box.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

The Segate GoFlex I have is not networked version it is the one that connects to a computer via a special USB cable.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I tried to share the Go Flex on my wireless network but it was way to slow, the DSL router from the phone company is only G so streaming movies from the computer to the router then out to another computer didn't really work.

I figured if I connect directly into the router with a NAS drive then my connection will be increased.
Then if I switch to a wired system I would be able to stream the contents of the drive to any computer connected to the network.

Your problem isn't the storage, your problem is the wireless. What is your current network setup, EXACTLY? DSL modem hooked up to a phone line, modem hooked to a wireless router of some kind? How is the Seagate hooked in exactly? Attached to a PC via the USB cable, then the PC is hooked up to what? Even if the Seagate is only USB 2.0, that's not your problem. A single, good Wireless G or Wireless N connection somewhere in there is fine for SD content. But if you have your PC communicating wirelessly to the router, then the router wirelessly with something else, no NAS is going to help you.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

What I am looking for:

This guy answers Yes to each of your requirements... if you ever out grow it use it as a backup for another NAS or take the drive out.. it's easy to do and at $99 how can you lose for simply streaming.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891592-REG/Iomega_35541_2TB_EZ_MEDIA.html

post #9 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Segate GoFlex I have is not networked version it is the one that connects to a computer via a special USB cable.

Got it. I thought the GoFlex was their NAS version. In that case an actual NAS would be a good idea, just as long as you're planning to have the TV ethernet connected to the router also. If you were just planning to have your router and NAS together with your PC but the TV in another room then it's not going to improve the performance you're getting trying to wirelessly stream from your PC now.

My own setup is that the cable modem, router and NAS are ethernet connected together in the living room and my laptop I connect either wirelessly or through a powerline adapter (especially when I'm transferring big video files to the NAS). That read and write times through powerline aren't nearly as good as they'd be if I had the whole house wired with CAT6 but much better to have it take a while copying files to the NAS than to try to have the NAS serve to the TV through powerline or wireless. Yes it can be done, depending on your setup. But I think most people who've tried it will tell you you're far better off always watching your videos through a wired connection.

One thing I don't know though is how many 2 or 3TB NAS have a USB connection for your GoFlex. I haven't been shopping for a NAS that size in a while but my recollection is that the single drive models like Seagate and WD's typically have an ethernet connection only. If you can find one, great. If not then it can be a bit of a price jump moving up into the 2 bay and larger models.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

The current computer (A) I have the go flex connected to is located in the TV room (Computer conencted to TV via a HDMI cable), computer is connected wirelessly to the modem/router G.
The connection seems fine for normal browsing.

Computer in Office (B) is direct connected to the modem/router.
When I share the Go Flex from (A) on the network and I try to play a movie on computer (B) the movie is un-watchable.
Which is why I was looking at the connection with Computer (A) being the issue.

1) So I figured if I get a NAS and connect the Go Flex to it and direct connect it to the modem/router I would be able to use the additional NAS storage along with Go Flex.

2) I wonder if I would be better off buying a new router with usb ports and connecting the Go Flex to it?

Maybe somthing like this that has more than 1 USB port?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2618338&CatId=2668

Then I can connect the new router to the DSL modem/router and use the new routers N450 instead of G.

3) Or maybe even direct connect everything to the modem/router and just go with a completely wired solution.

confused.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

I wonder if I would be better off buying a new router with usb ports and connecting the Go Flex to it?

I tried that route (admittedly with only one router) and it was a disaster. It was beyond slow, the drive would become unreachable and finally it would even drop the Internet connection while the local ports were still active. The model you linked to is the exact model I tried... read a few of its reviews (at newegg, etc). I tried to write them off but quickly became a believer.

post #12 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
What's your budget? You might be able to build your own NAS. If you've got an old computer laying around, I would suggest looking in to the Free UnRaid software. You can have 3 drives, 1 for backup / parity and two for data. Or you can just set all 3 for data. That's how I started my own NAS / Server. I had old parts laying around, and I built my own UnRaid server. I went with the free unraid OS first, and now I've got the Pro License with 7 drives so far and 15TB and growing. At first I though a few TB would do, but blu-ray movies take a lot of space wink.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The current computer (A) I have the go flex connected to is located in the TV room (Computer conencted to TV via a HDMI cable), computer is connected wirelessly to the modem/router G.
The connection seems fine for normal browsing.

Computer in Office (B) is direct connected to the modem/router.
When I share the Go Flex from (A) on the network and I try to play a movie on computer (B) the movie is un-watchable.
Which is why I was looking at the connection with Computer (A) being the issue.

1) So I figured if I get a NAS and connect the Go Flex to it and direct connect it to the modem/router I would be able to use the additional NAS storage along with Go Flex.

2) I wonder if I would be better off buying a new router with usb ports and connecting the Go Flex to it?

Maybe somthing like this that has more than 1 USB port?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2618338&CatId=2668

Then I can connect the new router to the DSL modem/router and use the new routers N450 instead of G.

3) Or maybe even direct connect everything to the modem/router and just go with a completely wired solution.

confused.gif

If you buy a NAS and put it in your office with ethernet connection to your router that will definitely be an improvement to your current setup for watching videos on your office computer, however watching the same videos off the NAS on your living room TV through wireless is going to be a dicey proposition. Depending on the distance and walls between, etc. it probably won't make the difference you're looking for to just upgrade to a newer N router, especially if you're trying to serve 1080p video to the TV. You can try it but I can pretty much tell you you're going to want a wired connection. At the very least get a good powerline adapter since that will be much better than wireless.

Also just to back up the last 2 posters, I have to say I don't trust routers w/USB ports as a network storage option. My own router (Linksys EA4500) has that and I've never even bothered to try it because I read too many unhappy reviews who people who had who said it would constantly disappear from their windows directory and who then started having trouble with their wireless too. And as for building your own NAS, I agree that's a good idea. I just built a nice compact 6 bay unRAID server for under $300 (not counting the hard drives of course) which is less than half what a NAS of the same hardware would cost if I bought it off the shelf. (It was my first build too. So if building your own sounds intimidating and out of your reach, I understand since that's what I thought too. But it really isn't if you're just willing to do your homework).

In your case though, your bigger challenge doesn't seem to be needing more storage space as much as figuring out the best way to get a wired connection between your router, NAS, and where you actually watch your video. So I would say figure that out first.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
While I agree on the USB port I'm not quite so fast to dismiss wireless. Since wireless-N I haven't had any problems in my 3 story cabin. One of my Bluray players and one of my Roku are wireless only, never a glitch. Everyone should own an N router anyway, you should probably give it a try just for the heck of it. I'll agree to the dicey part and preference for wired gig-E, but you gotta do what you can sometimes.

My router is Linksys E4200.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

The problem is definitely that wireless connection you are using. You need to upgrade the connection in some way, whether that is a new Wireless N router, a set of MoCA or Powerline Adapters, or running ethernet cable.

• Powerline: How new is the house or whatever you are in? The reason I ask is that Powerline is a good option, but performs much better if the wiring is newer, as it uses your electrical wiring to distribute the network signal.
  • MoCA: MoCA uses the existing Coax runs in your house (cable) to distribute the network signal. This works fine if you have cable, but can be trickier if you are using satellite for TV service. I had a MoCA setup awhile back, and it was rock solid for me, even able to stream Blu Ray rips.
  • Wireless N: This could make a difference in your case, but you should still not expect to be able to stream BluRay or anything like that. It should make the streaming of SD content from Computer A to computer B much better.
  • Hardwired Ethernet Cable: If you want to be serious about streaming, nothing beats a hardwired network.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would agree with much of what has been said. But would strongly urge you to look at a new router. Even if you current router is from your cable company and you must use it because it is where your modem is located you can bypass the wireless and connect a new router to it via Ethernet. Then use that for DHCP services and wireless. You also can use the router in some cases (if the router supports it) as the NAS by connecting your existing USB drive to it to share in your network.

The benefits of the new router will be these. Much better wireless performance. Virtually everything today is N and it is much faster then G. Some routers like the Netgear WNDR3700 offer video modes on the 5ghz band that prioritize video traffic over data for better streaming performance. Other routers like the Netgear WNDR4700 offer a built in 2 terabyte drive with 2 USB 3.0 ports for additional drives. This gives you excellent expandability along with an outstanding router and NAS capabilities. I personally use a WNDR4700.

Before investing in a NAS get your network up to date. It is the backbone of today's networked homes and is something that you really should update to the best device you can afford.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #17 of 17 Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to do a short term solution that allowed me to stream movies between 2 computers on my current network.
I hardwired the computer that has the movie drive directly into the network.
Had to drill a hole for the cable to directly connect to the modem.

I will have to get a new router once approvals are met, smile.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page