Streaming Problems on one series, not duplicated on others. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been asked to assist my friend troubleshoot his Roku. He is wired over a Cat 6 connection to a router that connects him to a cable modem. He is 100% satisfied with his Roku, except when watching just one show. He has shown me that when he watches the "Big Bang Theory" that he has a "low internet signal." I explained to him that one cannot have a low signal when wired as he is, but he showed me what he is talking about and I saw the following:

When watching any other show, he has no problems. When he turns on the Big Bang Theory, I am able to see what looks like the standard wireless signal strength meter with bars of increasing height with a portion illuminated to represent the quality of the signal. As he reports, the signal strength meter does show a low or weak connection based on traditional interpretations.

It confuses me that he has such a meter on his screen at all since he is not using wireless. Is it possible that the meter monitors something else?

Regardless of what the meter actually measures, my friend does have interruptions during the show while the system tries to repeatedly buffer the stream as though it were having a slow connection. When he switches off of "Big Bang Theory" to another show, play resumes as normal and no buffering occurs.

I am not a roku owner, and have no experience with them, but I have been asked to help because of my experience with computers in general. Is there anyone who can provide some advice that might help us identify the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
It confuses me that he has such a meter on his screen at all since he is not using wireless. Is it possible that the meter monitors something else?
Obviously 'Signal Strength' doesn't enter into a wired connection, but bitrate does. That may be what the meter measures.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, bit rate does make sense, but the question then becomes, what is it about the one show that causes the change in performance. He swears that it worked fine before his roommate left and we changed the router, but I configured the router, and at this point, all signals are passing through the router with no filtering other than route switching. Any ideas?