Please help me get started!!! Newb in this category! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I dont not have the PCH in my hands yet, but can I go ahead and format my drive to EXT3 and then add my media to it or do I need to format it in the PCH and then add my media? I will be using a SD card formatted to EXT3 and set to "read only" to hold all the apps and media pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK I finally found the answer to this question. For the people that are trying to do that same thing.....Put the SD card into the PCH and let it format that with the apps installed. Then format the internal hard drive on your pc into EXT3 and put that into the PCH. It is ready to drop media into it now. IF you want to add files from your computer you need a program to do that because EXT3 is a Linux based format.
post #33 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I too am keeping a close eye on this newb thread as I am also a 400 disc (or two) changer owner. I have one 777ES/ Escient cobination that still works great but full and a BDP-960 that is about 1/2 full but slow and clunky. All my equipment is rack mounted waaaaay away from the displays. I need a solution for the eventual death of one of them. What got me thinking about this was a orphan 10 bay Dell server that ended up on my doorstep (free) The HDDs were removed for security reasons so I was planning to install new drives and OS and use it as a file server to perhaps a Dune for each display.
I plan to only power it up as needed using MCE control protocol via tcp/ip so it won't have to run 24/7

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #34 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How did you get that for free? I would just build server. I was crazy not to want to at first but now I looks like the best thing to do using unRAID.
post #35 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Ok...So I have the software and the hardware ordered. I need to setup of a database so I can put the files into it. How do I go about doing that?

I use mediaportal. What is pch?
post #36 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I use mediaportal. What is pch?

PopCorn Hour
Sponsored Links