Please help me get started!!! Newb in this category! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Right now I have a 400 disk bluray changer that is really slow and the interface sucks compared to what I see on this site. What do I need to buy to get my movies on a really nice interface menu with the movie pic and info on the screen? I know that I have to rip my blurays and dvd's, so what do I need to do to do that as well. Somebody please lead my in the right direction. Thank you for your time.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Right now I have a 400 disk bluray changer that is really slow and the interface sucks compared to what I see on this site. What do I need to buy to get my movies on a really nice interface menu with the movie pic and info on the screen? I know that I have to rip my blurays and dvd's, so what do I need to do to do that as well. Somebody please lead my in the right direction. Thank you for your time.

To get started:

- A PC with a Blu Ray drive for ripping
- Software (Anydvd, DVDFab, MakeMKV)
- A media player (Mede8er, PCH, Dune)
- Storage solution (will you stream your movies from a server, look to store on an internal drive attached to the media player, etc....)

This just gives you some basic ideas. Best bet would be t o try and ask some more specific questions and then everyone here can be of more help.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks. Now to the storage solution. What is the best way of doing that? I want to keep the bluray quality and I dont want to have to turn on a computer everytime I want to go and watch a movie. Is that possible? It seems that if I have an internal drive attached to the media player that I would be very limited on the movies I can store on it due to the size of blurays. Also, can all blurays be ripped or are there issues with that?

- Leon Phelps
post #4 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok thanks. Now to the storage solution. What is the best way of doing that? I want to keep the bluray quality and I dont want to have to turn on a computer everytime I want to go and watch a movie. Is that possible? It seems that if I have an internal drive attached to the media player that I would be very limited on the movies I can store on it due to the size of blurays. Also, can all blurays be ripped or are there issues with that?

As far as storage solution really up to you. I use a dedicated server at home where all my media is stored, but sounds like you don't want to do that option. You can use internal drives or even USB drives attached to your media player, so that will allow you for a good amount of storage space (don't forget you can get internal hard drives up to 4TB, the average Blu ray movie will take up between 15-30GB). Almost all Blu rays movies can be ripped without issue (periodically you may run into an issue with the way disc is authored, etc... but it is not that common)

Cheers,
Damian

post #5 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Ha ha, sounds like we're coming from a similar state...I too own a 400 disc changer and finally just made the jump. So far it's been pretty fair sailing. You'll definitely enjoy the improved and immediate access. smile.gif

And dbone's given excellent advice. Personally, after learning my selected media player (the PCH A-400) could consolidate multiple media sources, I simple opted to go with (2) external 4 TB Seagate hdds. Cost was low and it's very easy to connect them to a hub and then to the PCH which makes them visible across my network and therefore accessible to other MP's.

But as you'll quickly discern, there's a lot of options in this dept, so don't feel obligated to go one way or the other. The path of least resistance may be a good idea. smile.gif

Have fun and good luck!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #6 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dbone- do you keep your server on all the time?

James- I was looking into the popcorn hour and that looks to be my number one choice so far.

All of these options keep the br quality correct? Also how does the info and picture get uploaded? Do I need to type in the info or is it automatic?

- Leon Phelps
post #7 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dbone- do you keep your server on all the time?

James- I was looking into the popcorn hour and that looks to be my number one choice so far.

All of these options keep the br quality correct? Also how does the info and picture get uploaded? Do I need to type in the info or is it automatic?

Yes, I keep mine on 24/7. I also use it to back up my PCs, remote access, etc... Since it is not only myself but also my family that accesses the movie library, it needs to stay on

If you use the software tools I listed you will get the original quality (what I do as well). Once you decide what media player you want to use then you can sort out the jukebox stuff (it will grab for you in most cases automatically).

Question - do you want to have full disc playback (i.e. when you play a Blu Ray rip do you want it to look just as if you entered in the physical disc with the menu, extras, etc...). if you do this will greatly impact your choices.

Cheers,
Damian

post #8 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If it matters to you I went with the PCH 400 for a few reasons:

1. It seems to be the only "major" player out there that has an automated jukebox. I have this functionality on my "older" WDTV Live and I don't think I could live without it. I simply have neither the time, interest, or most honestly, the know-how to execute a PC-based database like most of the pros here. Ease of use is huge with me. Prolly even over-valued when you consider how easy some of this stuff is.

2. It has an ipad app which seems to be pretty functional.

3. Does all the HD codecs, my WDTV does not...most of the players here do as well, so no real leg-up there, I suppose. Although some do not down-mix HD multichannel to stereo, which I need in my application.

4. It appears to be a well-made player. Not a huge deal, but nice nonetheless- some definitely appear more cheaply constructed.

5. Can use an internal hard drive. The less space I'm taking up with other boxes, the better.

All that said, it still appears to be an appliance with some bugs/quirks but it's come a long way and appears set for some more advances. Its video processing for SD material could be a little perk but doesn't mean a lot to me with my 97% HD collection. I think most would point to the Dune and mede8er as more ironed-out players and they would prolly be right. I took a bit of a chance I suppose, but I think this player is going to work well for my needs.

We'll know soon enough, I suppose.

Good luck!

James

post #9 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed with mastermaybe in that really each person will have a different list of wants/needs, and sometimes the little things make the difference. For me I prefer the Dunes, in part b/c my experience with the previous PCHs (110/200/300) has not been all that favorable whereas the Dunes (not including the current 3D series) imo have been the most reliable players out there. Where mastermaybe likes having a native jukebox built into the PCH I actually don't like this as I find this more difficult and less practical to maintain for my setup. I typically update my library remotely so using a jukebox like Zappiti on my PC I can easily update my jukebox, look it over to make sure everything is correct, and then push it out to multiple players. With an internal jukebox you have to hope it updates correctly or you won't know until you turn on the TV (and if you have multiple players that just multiples the work if it didn't update correctly).

As you can see, really just comes down to personal preference once you start nitpicking at the extras.

Cheers,
Damian

post #10 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I concur yet again with dbone...I don't think I've unearthed a genre of devices in A/V that are more "user-dependent" than a media player. Maybe an AVR I suppose. smile.gif

Having not yet laid hands on the 400, I suppose I may even be disappointed with its automated JB feature, only time will tell. I will say I was very much pleasantly surprised with my WD in that regard: not only did it nail every title a reasonable person could expect, it afforded options and allowed me to add my own if I so desired.

I'm hoping for a similar, if not "enhanced" scenario with the 400.

James

post #11 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Question - do you want to have full disc playback (i.e. when you play a Blu Ray rip do you want it to look just as if you entered in the physical disc with the menu, extras, etc...). if you do this will greatly impact your choices.

I don't really need to see the title menu or extras. If I can select a movie and it starts playing, that would be great. The juke box thing is where I need to look more into. I have heard of Zappiti before from other peoples posts so I think that I need to look into that. The reason why I am more directed to the PCH is because of not having to build a server. It is just more simple. I am not affraid of more complex ways, its just that I am completely new to this area and probably still dont have a complete grasp on the entire thing. I wish that I could sample PCH and Dune in person, but I am the only person I know that is into this kind of things.

- Leon Phelps
post #12 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't really need to see the title menu or extras. If I can select a movie and it starts playing, that would be great. The juke box thing is where I need to look more into. I have heard of Zappiti before from other peoples posts so I think that I need to look into that. The reason why I am more directed to the PCH is because of not having to build a server. It is just more simple. I am not affraid of more complex ways, its just that I am completely new to this area and probably still dont have a complete grasp on the entire thing. I wish that I could sample PCH and Dune in person, but I am the only person I know that is into this kind of things.

Both PCH and Dune you can connect internal hard drives or USB drives. You don't need a server for either of them.

Cheers,
Damian

post #13 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, another question. Can you tell what movies are bluray and regular DVDs on the jukeboxes?

- Leon Phelps
post #14 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, another question. Can you tell what movies are bluray and regular DVDs on the jukeboxes?

Yes, typically many jukeboxes allow you to sort by quality (i.e. HD or SD) and usually the movie detail page will have some icons showing the quality

Cheers,
Damian

post #15 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So out of the programs you listed to rip the blurays, which one is the best to use without issues? How long does it take to rip a bluray?

- Leon Phelps
post #16 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So out of the programs you listed to rip the blurays, which one is the best to use without issues? How long does it take to rip a bluray?

I think the best plan is to try them all and see what works best for you and your system. I use MakeMKV takes me on average 10-20 mins to rip a BD ...varies
post #17 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would but I don't want to spend 90 bux to try out a program. I looked at the makeMKV program and did not see a price on it. How much is that program?

- Leon Phelps
post #18 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

You can try them all for free, DVDFab I have been using the free version for years. MakeMKV is free while it's in Beta. Mike the admin puts up a new beta key every few months. If you want to purchase it's $50
post #19 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is MakeMKV lossless?

- Leon Phelps
post #20 of 36 Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is MakeMKV lossless?

Yes you can do Lossless
post #21 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Is MakeMKV lossless?

You don't want to do lossless. The resulting file size will be bigger than the source file.
post #22 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is MakeMKV lossless?

Makemkv will give you the same quality as the disc (ie unaltered )

Cheers,
Damian

post #23 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Is MakeMKV lossless?
MakeMKV is totally lossless. It just copies the video file from the DVD or BD and repackages it in an MKV container. Same codec (format) as the original. You can take the resulting MKV and make it smaller if you want. post 20 and 21 I believe are confusing it with HandBrake (the program you would use to make it smaller).
post #24 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quote:

Is MakeMKV lossless?
MakeMKV is totally lossless. It just copies the video file from the DVD or BD and repackages it in an MKV container. Same codec (format) as the original. You can take the resulting MKV and make it smaller if you want. post 20 and 21 I believe are confusing it with HandBrake (the program you would use to make it smaller).

I read into it wrong. I thought he meant "does it re-encode it to lossless". Yes, it just makes a copy.
post #25 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I'm not confusing with Handbrake I meant it can do Lossless Audio
post #26 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok...So I have the software and the hardware ordered. I need to setup of a database so I can put the files into it. How do I go about doing that?

- Leon Phelps
post #27 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 PM

I used to use XBMC as a UI for all my movies and music. Through the settings menu you can assign folders that XBMC will look into for these files. It was a very cool program. I heard they stopped PC support but I haven't looked into it. Just a suggestion though
post #28 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok...So I have the software and the hardware ordered. I need to setup of a database so I can put the files into it. How do I go about doing that?

Not sure I follow, what do you mean by database/ What hardware (i.e. media player) are you going to use for playback? Where are you going to store your movies?

Cheers,
Damian

post #29 of 36 Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I purchase PCH and I was playing with MakeMKV and ripped a DVD to see if I could get the hang of everything. After I ripped the DVD and converted it to MKV, I could not pull up the file in the NMJtoolbox2 program. It only excepts .db files and that is where I am stuck at.

Also, I have looked into building a server, and I like that idea! Can I take a dual bay RAID 1 network storage server and put unRAID on it? I don't really want the other hard drive to be a copy so that is why I was looking into the unRAID. OMG please help me. I have been on the computer for almost 24 hours straight trying to figure all this out!

- Leon Phelps
post #30 of 36 Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I purchase PCH and I was playing with MakeMKV and ripped a DVD to see if I could get the hang of everything. After I ripped the DVD and converted it to MKV, I could not pull up the file in the NMJtoolbox2 program. It only excepts .db files and that is where I am stuck at.

Also, I have looked into building a server, and I like that idea! Can I take a dual bay RAID 1 network storage server and put unRAID on it? I don't really want the other hard drive to be a copy so that is why I was looking into the unRAID. OMG please help me. I have been on the computer for almost 24 hours straight trying to figure all this out!

I would just continue to rip your media. I think NMJToolbox2 is used to edit an NMJ database. Not sure if you can only create this database once you have the PCH though?

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page