HTPC direct to Processor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-13-2002, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After deciding on the HP de100c, I just learned its being discontinued. That convinces me (I think) to avoid proprietary systems and get a PC devoted solely to MP3. Couple of questions:

1. What is the benefit of an Audiotron or other interface between PC and processor? Can I get a sound card with a digital out and plug it directly into the digital input of my AVM 20?

2. I don't mean to sound computer illiterate, but other than a huge hard drive and a CD-R, what do I need on the PC -- how much RAM, what type of sound card, etc.?

Thanks

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-13-2002, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been thinking a lot about this topic, and a lot of the issues for me come down to the following:

1) RF noise: How much RF is your device going to throw off, and how much is it going to mess up the other components in the HT system? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FCC standards for a computer aren't as strict as those for a stereo component, so I would expect that something like a de100c would throw out less RF than your run of the mill PC.

2) Audio noise: How much computer induced noise ends up in the audio coming out of the box? For instance, on my old PC at home, I can hear the SCSI bus through the computer's speakers. I obviously wouldn't have a SCSI bus on an HTPC, but this is still an issue, obviously. As a partial correction, I'd go for an optical link between an HTPC and the receiver if possible, as it would offer electrical isolation from the HTPC, as well as giving the resultant analog signal all the quality that the receiver (rather than the cheesy sound card in the PC) has to offer.

3) Accoustic noise: How much fan, hard drive noise, etc, are you getting?

4) Ease of use: How well can you put a front end on the HTPC thing so you can use a remote (preferably without having to watch a monitor), rather than using keyboard/mouse/screen?

5) How well does it integrate with the rest of the system? I wouldn't want to put a generic beige tower in the middle of my HT system, although truth be told, I'd like to hide the HT system in its entirety (with the exception of the screen).

To answer your questions:

1) The Audiotron, in my mind, offers several benefits. It gets all the noise (RF, audio and accoustic) out of the room that the HT system is in. It offers an optical out, meaning that you're not going to have to worry about a noisy audio signal coming from its processor. And it has a nice remote control. The downsides are limited display readability (from a distance) and the fact that it, like its competition, may not do so well with really huge libraries.

2) Find a PC case that'd look good in the HT system. People are actually making these. Investigate special cooling components that'd either make a quiet fan or eliminate the fans. For instance, look into lower powered CPUs that could take passive cooling, lower powered hard drives, etc. The CPU and I/O demands of an HTPC aren't that great, especially if used mainly for audio.

Most importantly, look for a sound card that's either A) High end or B) offers a digital output. Creative Labs may make a decent sound card, but it's definitely not "stereo system" quality unless you use the digital outs and let the receiver do the D/A conversion.

You know, other than that, I figure making a PeeCee based MP3 player has some considerable potential.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2002, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt response. I agree with your comments. I can put the the PC in a closet behind my stereo rack to minimize fan noise and I agree with your optical digital out suggestion. The big problem is display -- I'm willing to pay for the Audiotron for the convenience of the remote but I need to be able see the display from across the room -- and, I can't do that without a TV out (I don't think)

Another issue I have is loading the 400+ CD's on the hard drive. Anyway to do it other than one-by-one? Can you somehow hook up a CD jukebox to the PC so you can just set it up once and it copies 300 CD's -- I wouldn't care how fast?

Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2002, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Check smarthome.com for a product named something like "Slink-E." It might help, but I'm not sure. Escient sells some fabulously expensive box that'll do it (as well as serve as an MP3 jukebox), but it's probably not worth it just for that feature alone.

I've loaded 400+ CDs to a hard drive. I just got used to the idea of doing nothing but in my spare time for a couple of weeks.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page