Router Basics - HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I currently have a Cisco Valet+ router which served my needs just fine until I got my new Panasonic VT50. I purchased Amazon Prime and am now streaming TV and Movies fairly regulary. About 50% of the time I get lots of buffering or am told that I don't have the bandwidth to download the HD version and get bumped to SD.

My question is if I upgrade my router to something "better" (Linksys EA4500 or similar) will that help my situation even though my internet speed from my ISP will reamain the same? I don't want to upgrade my internet speed if I don't have to ($$$!!!)

Second question, would I get faster downloads if I hardwired the TV to the router and skip the wireless signal all together?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
As far as performance goes you will get better throughput with the Linksys, but the Valet router is no slouch. You'll get better network performance without interference with wired over wireless, this is true. You will also get a vastly better experience by just buying a Roku instead of streaming through the TV.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

As far as performance goes you will get better throughput with the Linksys, but the Valet router is no slouch. You'll get better network performance without interference with wired over wireless, this is true. You will also get a vastly better experience by just buying a Roku instead of streaming through the TV.

Thanks Nethawk! Much appreciated. Sounds like there will be a ROKU in my future.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Questions to ask yourself....What's my current download/upload bandwidth from my ISP? Use www.speakeasy.net/speedtest to get an idea; you may not have enough bandwidth to accommodate HD streaming from Amazon. Am I okay with the Amazon VOD experience supplied by the TV? If so, no need to purchase another device, Roku, for that purpose. What other wireless devices are at use on my network when I'm attempting to stream from Amazon? And what are they doing exactly? To avoid issues with wireless connectivity, hard wire your TV to see if it resolves buffering/HD/SD issues.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Regardless of Roku or not, you want to hardwire anything that does HD streaming. I have a Sony TV and and Roku 2XS and I actually like the Sony a little better as far as Netflix interface (can't speak for Prime). If you MUST stay wireless, the Roku does the better job of dealing with network performance fluctuations inherent to wireless.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Cisco Valet only works with 2.4GHz, so an upgrade should eventually be in your future.

While having a wired connection to A/V devices is always a plus, it may not be a reality. Despite multiple claims to the contrary, Wireless N throughput is more than capable of handling streams from online sources, even blu-ray quality streaming on local network. Not all of my devices is even capable of wired ethernet and I've never had a dropout. Two of these are regularly used - an older Panasonic bluray player and Roku 2 XD. Roku has over 5M devices sold, and they've only recently announced the Roku 3 with wired support.

One bummer, as Dan states above, just about every end device I own that supports Netflix has a different interface. To keep the family happy and confusion at a minimum (which helps fund my crazy habit!), I just buy a Roku for every display and be done with it. cool.gif

post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Cisco Valet only works with 2.4GHz, so an upgrade should eventually be in your future.

While having a wired connection to A/V devices is always a plus, it may not be a reality. Despite multiple claims to the contrary, Wireless N throughput is more than capable of handling streams from online sources, even blu-ray quality streaming on local network. Not all of my devices is even capable of wired ethernet and I've never had a dropout. Two of these are regularly used - an older Panasonic bluray player and Roku 2 XD. Roku has over 5M devices sold, and they've only recently announced the Roku 3 with wired support.

One bummer, as Dan states above, just about every end device I own that supports Netflix has a different interface. To keep the family happy and confusion at a minimum (which helps fund my crazy habit!), I just buy a Roku for every display and be done with it. cool.gif

Thanks folks, just bought a ROKU stick to run through my OPPO. I'll let you know how it goes. If that still chugs along I'll try to hardwire or just go for the upgraded router.

Thanks again for the help!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJackie View Post

Thanks folks, just bought a ROKU stick to run through my OPPO. I'll let you know how it goes. If that still chugs along I'll try to hardwire or just go for the upgraded router.

Thanks again for the help!
ugh....I hated the stick with my oppo. Too many connection issues. I ended up buying a refurb xs and hard wiring it to my network and running it through the HDMI in on my oppo. It also was a lot less hideous looking! :-)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page