easiest UI to navigate - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm just getting started in the ripping, storing and streaming thing. All I'm interested in is backing up my DVD's and BD's (a lot of them). After much reading, I'm starting to get a handle on the rip and store part but I have a sort of special requirement. My youngest boy is autistic. He is the one who will use this the most. I need a user interface that he won't get lost in. Right now I have two 400 disc changers, Sony 777ES with a Escient interface and Sony 960 BD changer. He is used to both. I have made it very simple for him to navigate out touch screens to select DVD or BD. By backing everything up to one location, I could eleiminate that choice and have just one button for "Movies". After that press, I would like him to be presented with a cover art style UI for him to make his selection with nothing else to confuse him. Any suggestions? Thanks

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Boxee Box. Flawed, no longer supported, but easy UI with movie/TV posters. My kids have used them since age 4.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What format and storage device/platform are you using to store your DVD/BD backups? Look into Plex (www.plexapp.com) to get a sense of their UI and if their platform will work for you.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I like Plex, but as an adult, even sober the interface sucks biggrin.gif

It's unclear how everything will integrate, but I'm not sure your needs will be met without building a HTPC. I'm not familiar with the Boxee box, it's the only one I haven't owned so this may work, but otherwise the recommendation would be Windows 8 PC with touchscreen and WMC. Media Browser in my opinion is the easiest and simplest interface, but I'm unclear whether one can use touchscreen for control. If your son can use a mouse and keyboard this is of course a backup plan.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You might want to look at a dune player and My Movies software. The iPad app is very intuitive
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
if you are speaking about dune, I made a special yadis template for kids with huge letters, menus and covers. You can also configure yadis so you can have a direct access from the menu to you son's movies (no need to navigate in submenus then).

(picture is in french but of course you will have it in english wink.gif )