Sonos / NAS / Time Capsule on a Mac - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I recently purchased an Sonos Play 3 (should be here this Friday) and am trying to figure out the best way to set up my network and storage so that I don't have to have my MacBook Pro open and awake all of the time in order to have access to my iTunes files.

My Current setup is this:

Macbook Pro (all iTunes files are stored here - HD is practically full)
Sonos Play 3 (on Friday)
Time Capsule For back Ups (500G)

I know I can get the Sonos to play well with all of this but would like to maybe set up a NAS using a second Time Capsule as follows:

MacBook Pro
Sonos Play 3
Existing Time Capsule (500G) for NAS for all of my iTunes media files
New Time Capsule (2TB) as my new back up time capsule for the MacBook Pro and any other new machines

My questions are these:
1. Can the 2 TCs be hardwired together with only the new one performing backups and the old one acting as the NAS?

2. If I wire as stated above will the old TC be recognized as a NAS or a second TC?

3. Are there other products like Deja Vu that can scan my iTunes library and then transfer any new purchases or rips to the NAS?

4. Can I set it up so that the entire iTunes Library resides on the NAS in order to free up space on my MacBook? Would it be possible to make the NAS available to the Macbook via the internet when the Macbook is not on the home network?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm psyched for the Sonos and want to set it up the best I can.

Thanks in advance,

b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
From my understanding of what you're attempting to do, you'll still need to leave your MacBook on in order to stream from iTunes as the Time Capsule doesn't include an iTunes Server (aka Firefly). You can easily move your iTunes Library to the TC, but in doing so you'll only be able to access the contents of your Library while on your own network (unless you're familiar with setting up a VPN should you need access to your iTunes Library while outside your home). My recommendation....get a cheap Synology NAS, move your iTunes Library to the NAS, use the iTunes Server function of the NAS to serve your files locally via the Sonos, install VPN Server on the NAS so you can access your content outside your home (you'll need to map a drive from the NAS to your MAC). This is a pretty simplistic way of handling what you'd like to accomplish.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

From my understanding of what you're attempting to do, you'll still need to leave your MacBook on in order to stream from iTunes as the Time Capsule doesn't include an iTunes Server (aka Firefly). You can easily move your iTunes Library to the TC, but in doing so you'll only be able to access the contents of your Library while on your own network (unless you're familiar with setting up a VPN should you need access to your iTunes Library while outside your home). My recommendation....get a cheap Synology NAS, move your iTunes Library to the NAS, use the iTunes Server function of the NAS to serve your files locally via the Sonos, install VPN Server on the NAS so you can access your content outside your home (you'll need to map a drive from the NAS to your MAC). This is a pretty simplistic way of handling what you'd like to accomplish.

No itunes server needed in any way for sonos to access the files or playlist on a NAS as long as it supports CIFS/SMB (almost all relatively new ones do). Original poster is almost certainly better off with a Synology/WD/Buffalo/Qnap solution than another time capsule as it greatly simplifies the network setup and they all support time machine functionality. Many settings will need to be changed in both time capsules to make them play nice on the network (but it can certainly be done in most cases).

Also you can set itunes to rip directly to your library on the NAS (I do it all the time)

No drive mapping required in most cases and yes in most cases the NAS can be accessed from a secure internet connection.

Jgiddyup
post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

No itunes server needed in any way for sonos to access the files or playlist on a NAS as long as it supports CIFS/SMB (almost all relatively new ones do). Original poster is almost certainly better off with a Synology/WD/Buffalo/Qnap solution than another time capsule as it greatly simplifies the network setup and they all support time machine functionality. Many settings will need to be changed in both time capsules to make them play nice on the network (but it can certainly be done in most cases).

Also you can set itunes to rip directly to your library on the NAS (I do it all the time)

No drive mapping required in most cases and yes in most cases the NAS can be accessed from a secure internet connection.

So in the case you state above I should go with the synology set up and use that for time machine backup and NAS and ditch the old time capsule or use both? Is the synology a router as well or just for storage? Thanks for the response.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbee1 View Post

So in the case you state above I should go with the synology set up and use that for time machine backup and NAS and ditch the old time capsule or use both? Is the synology a router as well or just for storage? Thanks for the response.

You can use the NAS (Synology or otherwise) for time machine as well as general file storage and in many cases much more. I would sell the old time capsule or give it away (it's not worth much unfortunately). Then get a good wireless N router (although AC might be worth it), NAS and off you go. Ready for backups, Sonos and any new devices you may acquire. Certainly not inexpensive but very flexible.

Jgiddyup
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbee1 View Post

The Synology would only work as a NAS, although it has features that allow you to manage your router from the NAS. I would still keep/use the TC, just find another use for the storage they have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

No itunes server needed in any way for sonos to access the files or playlist on a NAS as long as it supports CIFS/SMB (almost all relatively new ones do).

Using a Synology with the VPN Server solution, drive mapping would be needed for the iTunes client when outside the home. The beginning of my post was based on his current/available hardware, where since he's already in an iTunes environment using the iTunes Server feature of most NAS's just seems like an easier transition for his content (depending on how he manages his library)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page