Question about connecting the Roku 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hi all,
Don't know if this is the correct forum, but...
I just hooked up my new Roku 3 this past weekend and ran into a problem. Now I'm using a Samsung TV that is 1080P and an Onkyo TX-RS705 Receiver (also 1080P on HDMI out and in) and of course the Roku is 1080P.
What I want to do is connect my Roku to both my TV and my Receiver so I can watch non-encoded classic TV shows and such on the TV with it's sound and encoded movies running sound through the receiver, because the TV sound is horrible for movies.
I got a $40 HDMI switch from Monoprice that states it is 1080P HD and every other letter and hooked everything in and I used premium 24awg cables because of possible switch signal degradation. Booted everything up and looked good. I then noticed the Roku was transmitting at 720P so I thought I might as well switch it to 1080P since that is what I am running. The second I did that, the screen went black and had a meesage stating that it could not find a signal. I spent 30 minutes on the phone tech support with Roku and did everything and still nothing. I then took the HDMI switch out of the path and hooked the Roku up direct to TV and lo & behold I had picture and sound and in 1080P.
I then tried putting the switch back into the path and in every config I could do and tried all the ports and still black screen and no signal.
So, I contacted Monoprice and they said it was defective and RMA's it, but then I found out that it would cost me another $12 to return it. On top of that there were two more reviews added from customers stating that they had the same problem and one customer had to go through 3 units to get one that works! I decided it would be less expensive to just cancel the RMA and throw the unit away. Let me be clear that in my opinion Monoprice is a good company to deal with and I like their cables (let's not discuss cables, thank you), but a lot of their "electronic" stuff seems to end up being sub-par to me.

What I need to know is this. Is there a way to hook up my Ruko3 to both my TV and Receiver so I can watch Movies through the Receiver sound and old TV shows and such through the TV sound? Do I need to have a professional Home Theater person come out and charge $1000 to do this for me or can I do it myself for far less money? I'm wondering if a switch was the wrong thing to use and I should have used a splitter? I was thinking with a splitter I'd have to have the Receiver on all the time and that's not what I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmusic View Post

Hi all,
Don't know if this is the correct forum, but...
I just hooked up my new Roku 3 this past weekend and ran into a problem. Now I'm using a Samsung TV that is 1080P and an Onkyo TX-RS705 Receiver (also 1080P on HDMI out and in) and of course the Roku is 1080P.
What I want to do is connect my Roku to both my TV and my Receiver so I can watch non-encoded classic TV shows and such on the TV with it's sound and encoded movies running sound through the receiver, because the TV sound is horrible for movies.
I got a $40 HDMI switch from Monoprice that states it is 1080P HD and every other letter and hooked everything in and I used premium 24awg cables because of possible switch signal degradation. Booted everything up and looked good. I then noticed the Roku was transmitting at 720P so I thought I might as well switch it to 1080P since that is what I am running. The second I did that, the screen went black and had a meesage stating that it could not find a signal. I spent 30 minutes on the phone tech support with Roku and did everything and still nothing. I then took the HDMI switch out of the path and hooked the Roku up direct to TV and lo & behold I had picture and sound and in 1080P.
I then tried putting the switch back into the path and in every config I could do and tried all the ports and still black screen and no signal.
So, I contacted Monoprice and they said it was defective and RMA's it, but then I found out that it would cost me another $12 to return it. On top of that there were two more reviews added from customers stating that they had the same problem and one customer had to go through 3 units to get one that works! I decided it would be less expensive to just cancel the RMA and throw the unit away. Let me be clear that in my opinion Monoprice is a good company to deal with and I like their cables (let's not discuss cables, thank you), but a lot of their "electronic" stuff seems to end up being sub-par to me.

What I need to know is this. Is there a way to hook up my Ruko3 to both my TV and Receiver so I can watch Movies through the Receiver sound and old TV shows and such through the TV sound? Do I need to have a professional Home Theater person come out and charge $1000 to do this for me or can I do it myself for far less money? I'm wondering if a switch was the wrong thing to use and I should have used a splitter? I was thinking with a splitter I'd have to have the Receiver on all the time and that's not what I want.

I guess you have me thoroughly confused as to why you are going through all this trouble.

Although I don't own an Onkyo I'm sure it allows the picture and audio to pass through when it is off? Or no? Turn the Onkyo on when you want sound through the speakers attached to the AVR and off when you just want the sound passed through to the Samsung.

That's my setup with my Denon 2309CI. The Roku 3 goes into one of the Denon HDMI inputs, the HDMI output goes to my Panasonic HDTV. When the Denon is off I can still view and hear the Roku 3 on the Panasonic. When the Denon is on I see the Roku 3 picture and get sound through my 5.1 setup.

Is there something I'm missing?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 17 Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I guess you have me thoroughly confused as to why you are going through all this trouble.

Although I don't own an Onkyo I'm sure it allows the picture and audio to pass through when it is off? Or no? Turn the Onkyo on when you want sound through the speakers attached to the AVR and off when you just want the sound passed through to the Samsung.

That's my setup with my Denon 2309CI. The Roku 3 goes into one of the Denon HDMI inputs, the HDMI output goes to my Panasonic HDTV. When the Denon is off I can still view and hear the Roku 3 on the Panasonic. When the Denon is on I see the Roku 3 picture and get sound through my 5.1 setup.

Is there something I'm missing?

DOH! You missed nothing. I didn't even check to see if my Onkyo will do pass through. Taking a quick look at the manual, I bet it does! I should have done that first!
post #4 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

DOH! You missed nothing. I didn't even check to see if my Onkyo will do pass through. Taking a quick look at the manual, I bet it does! I should have done that first!

Agreed with the above advice. I have also had to RMA 2 items from Monoprice and never had to pay a cent for shipping. They e-mailed me a barcode to put on the package. If it's within 30 days, you should also be able to get a refund. If not, you should at least be able to get "store credit".

I am also wondering why you got a switch. A switch basically takes multiple HDMI sources and has 1 HDMI output, for example. It seems like you would have wanted a splitter. If I am understanding correctly, you wanted to take 1 source (Roku) and split it 2 ways (1 to the TV and 1 to the AVR). Either way, you won't need to do this as long as your AVR can pass-through the signal.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Agreed with the above advice. I have also had to RMA 2 items from Monoprice and never had to pay a cent for shipping. They e-mailed me a barcode to put on the package. If it's within 30 days, you should also be able to get a refund. If not, you should at least be able to get "store credit".

I am also wondering why you got a switch. A switch basically takes multiple HDMI sources and has 1 HDMI output, for example. It seems like you would have wanted a splitter. If I am understanding correctly, you wanted to take 1 source (Roku) and split it 2 ways (1 to the TV and 1 to the AVR). Either way, you won't need to do this as long as your AVR can pass-through the signal.

I got the switch by advice from someone who may not have fully understood what I wanted to do. You have it correct. I want to take the Roku (source) and split it two ways (YV and AVR). I am going to try my AVR by itself this weekend to see if it can do Pass through. If not, then I would love some advisement on a splitter obviously.smile.gif
Monoprice is a good place and the switch was less than 30-days old by about 2 days though. They promptly sent an RMA and would exchange it for a new unit as they determined mine was defective and did send me a lable, but a note was attached stating that I had to provide a trackable shipping method at my expense. This was the first time I ever had to send anything back to them. (I have bought plenty from them, mostly cables, but also adaptors and even a pair of headphones). Never a problem and nice folk there. So this is really an oddity. I read some more newer reviews on the unit than I saw when I bought it and all were having similar issues. Someone at Monoprice wrote me and said that they sent the notes onto their products department to look into it since so many returns are occuring with it. So I'm out $35 sadly, but I didn't want to spend that amount and more again exchanging unit after unit trying to find the one that works right. Like you and Mr G said, a switch is not what I need anyway.
I'll let you guys know how I make out this weekend with the AVR.
Thank you.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried the direct hook up through my Onkyo TX-SR705 to see if it does "Pass-Thru", found out it does NOT do it! It's the only AVR that doesn't I think.confused.gif
I was interpreting what they called HDMI "Monitor" as a Pass-Thru toggle switch type thing, it is not.
I tried hooking up in all the configurations and did all the software set ups and no matter what, in order to see a picture let alone sound the AVR must be On. Not what I want to do.
So, I assume I need a Splitter, correct?
Anyone got any recommendations for a Splitter or will Monoprice be my best choice?

Thank you.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
I would first try getting this to work without a splitter. You should be able to bypass the AVR. It is slightly annoying to have to turn on the AVR to use the TV's speakers but you'll get used to it. Check the manual for how to bypass the AVR and do so. I guess that you could always turn on the AVR, turn the volume all the way down, and change the settings back temporarily in your TV.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I tried the direct hook up through my Onkyo TX-SR705 to see if it does "Pass-Thru", found out it does NOT do it! It's the only AVR that doesn't I think.confused.gif
I was interpreting what they called HDMI "Monitor" as a Pass-Thru toggle switch type thing, it is not.
I tried hooking up in all the configurations and did all the software set ups and no matter what, in order to see a picture let alone sound the AVR must be On. Not what I want to do.
So, I assume I need a Splitter, correct?
Anyone got any recommendations for a Splitter or will Monoprice be my best choice?

Thank you.

Now that we've discovered that the Onkyo 705 does not pass through a signal when it is turned off the next step is to buy a splitter. I recommend the Monoprice powered splitter, order a few extra HDMI cables while you're there. Roku 3 HDMI output goes to splitter, one HDMI output to AVR and one to Samsung. I own this particular model and it has worked flawlessly.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8154&seq=1&format=2

post #9 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

I would first try getting this to work without a splitter. You should be able to bypass the AVR. It is slightly annoying to have to turn on the AVR to use the TV's speakers but you'll get used to it. Check the manual for how to bypass the AVR and do so. I guess that you could always turn on the AVR, turn the volume all the way down, and change the settings back temporarily in your TV.

Sorry, this does not work. I have tried it. Any way I hook the Roku up to the AVR I must have it on and at the right setting to see a picture on the TV. The TV has no sound when the Roku is hooked up to the AVR, period. I turned the sound on the AVR all the way down and turned the TV to about 75% which if there was sound would be deafening and I got silence. The Onkyo TX-SR705 does not allow HDMI Pass thru. So I am getting a splitter. Maybe a year from now I'll have a new AVR that will do what I need it to do.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Now that we've discovered that the Onkyo 705 does not pass through a signal when it is turned off the next step is to buy a splitter. I recommend the Monoprice powered splitter, order a few extra HDMI cables while you're there. Roku 3 HDMI output goes to splitter, one HDMI output to AVR and one to Samsung. I own this particular model and it has worked flawlessly.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8154&seq=1&format=2

Thank you Mr. G, I appreciate your recommendation and will do so.smile.gif Extra HDMI cables I already have from my previous order of the switch. In fact, they are the premium 24AWG ones. A bit on the stiff side though, but the 24AWG is good to have.
Thanks again.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you Mr. G, I appreciate your recommendation and will do so.smile.gif Extra HDMI cables I already have from my previous order of the switch. In fact, they are the premium 24AWG ones. A bit on the stiff side though, but the 24AWG is good to have.
Thanks again.

Just so we're clear, the Roku 3 will monopolize one HDMI input on your Samsung. The other Samsung HDMI input will still be connected to your Onkyo for your other equipment. So you will be switching inputs on your Samsung (HDMI 1, HDMI 2) depending on what you are watching.

post #12 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just so we're clear, the Roku 3 will monopolize one HDMI input on your Samsung. The other Samsung HDMI input will still be connected to your Onkyo for your other equipment. So you will be switching inputs on your Samsung (HDMI 1, HDMI 2) depending on what you are watching.

Yes, I understand completely. It's far easier that way! My Samsung has 3 HDMI inputs....maybe 4. The AVR has 3 HDMI inputs and it's in HDMI #1 on the TV. So Roku wiil go to HDMI #2 or #3 on TV. When I want the sound coming through the AVR I switch to HDMI #1 and back to #@ or #3 when I want sound through the TV.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mr. G, I just took a look at the splitter you recommended from Monoprice and it's the same as the Switch I ordered = most of the units seem to be defective according to the most recent 10 customer reviews accompanied by RMAs! I don't want to spend another $35 on a defective product and an additional $12 to RMA it to receive another defective unit.
Not sure what to do now. Do you know where I can get a reliable splitter other than Monoprice? Great cables, but pretty bad on electronics.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mr. G, I just took a look at the splitter you recommended from Monoprice and it's the same as the Switch I ordered = most of the units seem to be defective according to the most recent 10 customer reviews accompanied by RMAs! I don't want to spend another $35 on a defective product and an additional $12 to RMA it to receive another defective unit.
Not sure what to do now. Do you know where I can get a reliable splitter other than Monoprice? Great cables, but pretty bad on electronics.

I'm not sure what you're saying. A switch and a splitter are two different animals. How could they be the same unit?

A splitter takes the input signal and clones it to two different outputs which are always on. A switch is much like your AVR, it routes a signal from a specific device (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3) to one HDMI output.

Provide a link to the Monoprice switch you own and I'll take a look. BTW I've also owned two different Monoprice switches and they have always worked.

Reasons for negative reviews on Monoprice equipment fall under 3 categories.

1. Person does not understand or misreads capabilities of unit.
2. Person tries to use unit in a way not suited to the electronics.
3. Unit is defective.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying. A switch and a splitter are two different animals. How could they be the same unit?

A splitter takes the input signal and clones it to two different outputs which are always on. A switch is much like your AVR, it routes a signal from a specific device (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3) to one HDMI output.

Provide a link to the Monoprice switch you own and I'll take a look. BTW I've also owned two different Monoprice switches and they have always worked.

Reasons for negative reviews on Monoprice equipment fall under 3 categories.

1. Person does not understand or misreads capabilities of unit.
2. Person tries to use unit in a way not suited to the electronics.
3. Unit is defective.

Sorry about the confusion. What I am saying is that the Monoprice Splitter has a ton of Returns from customers for the same reasons roughly. The 10 most recent reviews have RMA attached! That tells me there is something wrong with the unit. I need something more reliable. I don't want to go through 5 units or something shipping back and forth to find one that works and have it go out on me a week later.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry about the confusion. What I am saying is that the Monoprice Splitter has a ton of Returns from customers for the same reasons roughly. The 10 most recent reviews have RMA attached! That tells me there is something wrong with the unit. I need something more reliable. I don't want to go through 5 units or something shipping back and forth to find one that works and have it go out on me a week later.

Okay, I see. Possibly a bad batch. Sewell is another company I've heard good things about but I've never purchased their equipment.

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp

post #17 of 17 Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Liked: 10
There is an easy way to connect the Roku 3 to a non HDMI AR stero system. The Roku 3 has a std 3.5 mm jack for earphones. My setup has a AR that just has the RCA in/outs, ie, no HDMI/Optical. Since I have a mp3 player connected to the AR vis a cord with the 3.5mm jack on 1 end and 2 RCA plugs on the other which are connected to my AR, I just inserted the 3.5mm jack end of the cords into the Roku 3 remote and SOUND thru the speakers!!!!! Once we select a movie we don't use the Roku remote anymore so leaving it on the TV cabinet is not a big deal. And we could always get a longer cord and have the remote sit on the couch if that was important. No need for an expensive converter.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page