Myro:Air - Airplay / UPnP Streamer with Wolfson WM8741 DAC - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked up the packaging from our local letterpress printer - these guys are artists! It's like going back into the 1950's but using modern computer based files instead of letterset. The Heidelberg presses with black and chrome accents are amazing to look at - the smell of ink in the air makes it even better.

We are now waiting for the PC board assembly to be completed (next week) and cases to arrive (2-3 weeks) and then we are ready to do final assembly and ship. If everything goes smoothly, we may be able to ship sooner than May 1st.

I have attached a few images for you guys to enjoy.

Letterpress plates:

The presses:

Hand stamping the serial numbers:

As you can see care is taken with each unit down to the packaging you'll probably throw away.

Feels good bringing back manufacturing to the U.S.A. (in a very small, but hopefully, impactful way biggrin.gif)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We have a few units available for press review! Not sure anyone reading this thread knows anyone that does product reviews for the AVS Forum or other publications and would be interested in reviewing Myro:Air -- have them contact me! We are ahead of schedule barring any issues with the cases (arriving next Wednesday), we will begin shipping the pre-orders a couple weeks earlier than planned!
post #63 of 75 Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavromatis View Post

We have a few units available for press review! Not sure anyone reading this thread knows anyone that does product reviews for the AVS Forum or other publications and would be interested in reviewing Myro:Air -- have them contact me! We are ahead of schedule barring any issues with the cases (arriving next Wednesday), we will begin shipping the pre-orders a couple weeks earlier than planned!

Another respectable forum I would suggest is the Home Theater Shack forum.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #64 of 75 Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As we prepare to start shipping the first units -- we can begin to work on some other features for Myro:Air.

Here are a few features that are on our roadmap:
  • iOS app used to configure and control Myro:Air
  • IP based control protocol
  • cover art (RS-232 event would point to http:// resource on Myro:Air)
  • Pandora

What do you think? What else should we add? Thanks for the feedback!

Danny
post #65 of 75 Old 04-05-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As we prepare to start shipping the first units -- we can begin to work on some other features for Myro:Air.

Here are a few features that are on our roadmap:
  • iOS app used to configure and control Myro:Air
  • IP based control protocol
  • cover art (RS-232 event would point to http:// resource on Myro:Air)
  • Pandora

What do you think? What else should we add? Thanks for the feedback!

Danny

Adding other online radio support such as Spotify?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #66 of 75 Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Adding other online radio support such as Spotify?

Streaming Services we can support are:
- SiriusXM
- Spotify
- Pandora
- LastFM Radio
- Rhapsody

Ideally we'd love to support all but each requires us to engage with them (agreements) separately and takes time so I'd like to prioritize based on which ones people use more. I personally use Pandora and Rhapsody.

Maybe I should start a poll?
post #67 of 75 Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We are now shipping Myro:Air and we have begun shipping all the pre-orders -- feel free to post your reviews or feedback here.
post #68 of 75 Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #69 of 75 Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So we've shipped many units out and most should have arrived by now. I'd love to get some feedback -- anyone on AVS forum that has received a Myro:Air? For fun, post your serial number -- that's one of the unique and "exclusive" qualities of Myro:Air biggrin.gif
post #70 of 75 Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a video review of Myro:Air by Revision3's Tekzilla Bites. They have a critical ear for audio and we're glad we were able to satisfy them.
post #71 of 75 Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is a video review of Myro:Air by Revision3's Tekzilla Bites. They have a critical ear for audio and we're glad we were able to satisfy them.

I love Tekzilla, but he was talking so fast and always kept his eye sight straight, which made it seem like he was reading what he was saying from a board or something. biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #72 of 75 Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since my first generation Airport Express recently gave up, I've been looking for a high-end alternative to stream my music from my laptop to my stereo amplifier.
First I stumbled upon the Arcam Airdac and later I came across the Myro Air solution.

I have a few questions and hope to find some answers in making me decide which one to get:

1) Has anyone listened to a direct comparison of both the Arcam Airdac and the Myro Air and what was the result?
2) From the Arcam Airdac I have read that the sound is great, even with lesser quality sources like mp3 because it seems to be very "forgiving" (In my case a plus, because girlfriend plays lesser quality files). Is the Myro Air also forgiving like that?
3) The Arcam Airdac can play 24-bit 96khz music files through UPNP (Airplay is restricted to 16-bit 48khz). Can I also stream 24-bit 96khz music files from my laptop to the Myro Air through UPNP? The Wolfson WM8741 DAC seems to support up to 24-bit 192khz but the following page mentiones only support for 16 bit for the Myro Air: http://www.myrocontrol.com/forum/ind...19093#msg19093
4) Which Windows or Linux applications can be used to stream music through UPNP to the Myro Air?

For the rest the appearance of the Myro Air is amazing, I love the wood and vintage plate in front, in that aspect it's certainly a winner.
What I do miss in the Myro Air is a digital input (Toslink/SPDIF) to which I for example can connect my TV digital output. The Arcam Airdac has a huge advantage in providing these digital inputs.
What would make the Myro Air even more appealing is if it would have wifi/routing/printserver functionality like the Apple Airport Express.

Well this is going to be a tough decision even as the Arcam Airdac is available here in Europe at Amazon at a lower price then the Myro Air.

Last edited by Morgain; 07-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
post #73 of 75 Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Morgain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
1) Has anyone listened to a direct comparison of both the Arcam Airdac and the Myro Air and what was the result?
'

Yes, see this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/threads/what...#post-20874250

and

http://www.avforums.com/threads/myro-air.1886372/

Quote:
2) From the Arcam Airdac I have read that the sound is great, even with lesser quality sources like mp3 because it seems to be very "forgiving" (In my case a plus, because girlfriend plays lesser quality files). Is the Myro Air also forgiving like that?
Yes. That is the beauty of a great DAC and output stage!

Quote:
3) The Arcam Airdac can play 24-bit 96khz music files through UPNP (Airplay is restricted to 16-bit 48khz). Can I also stream 24-bit 96khz music files from my laptop to the Myro Air through UPNP? The Wolfson WM8741 DAC seems to support up to 24-bit 192khz but the following page mentiones only support for 16 bit for the Myro Air: http://www.myrocontrol.com/forum/ind...19093#msg19093
The support formats are listed here: Myro:Air - Airplay / UPnP Streamer with Wolfson WM8741 DAC

Quote:
4) Which Windows or Linux applications can be used to stream music through UPNP to the Myro Air?
You can use any UPnP app, I love the BubbleUPnP and Linn (Kinsky).

Quote:
For the rest the appearance of the Myro Air is amazing, I love the wood and vintage plate in front, in that aspect it's certainly a winner.
Nice! We're receiving great feedback on the overall looks and quality -- this can be very subjective and we're happy people are loving it!

Here's some press from uncrate: http://uncrate.com/stuff/myro-air/

Quote:
What I do miss in the Myro Air is a digital input (Toslink/SPDIF) to which I for example can connect my TV digital output. The Arcam Airdac has a huge advantage in providing these digital inputs.
What would make the Myro Air even more appealing is if it would have wifi/routing/printserver functionality like the Apple Airport Express.

Well this is going to be a tough decision even as the Arcam Airdac is available here in Europe at Amazon at a lower price then the Myro Air.
I can see the digital input, but we provide streaming and charging of an iPad/iPhone/iPod via USB as well as RS232 support for home automation systems. Our feeling was that having to "switch" inputs with no metadata would defeat the purpose of Myro:Air. But I can see how it could be a nice feature to have.
post #74 of 75 Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Mavromatis,

Thank you for your reply.

The answer to my question 3 still leaves me a bit confused as I allready read that page with supported formats (these were also on the webpage that I listed at question 3)
On that page the bitrate for almost every format that the Myro support is listed as 16 bit.
That is somewhat peculiar as the Wolfson WM8741 DAC supports a bitrate of 24 bit or even 32 bit.

See: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/media/76428/WM8741.pdf
PCM Mode
Sampling frequency: 32kHz to 192kHz Input data word length support: 16 to 32-bit
Supports all standard audio interface formats

So why wouldn't the Myro Air be able to support 24 bit through UPNP then? (In comparison the Airdac does support 24 bit through UPNP, so it should be possible)
As I intend to play 24 bit Flac files from my laptop, 24 bit support through UPNP is an important criteria for me (and probably also for a lot of other audiophiles the Myro Air is intended for).
post #75 of 75 Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hello Mavromatis,

Thank you for your reply.

The answer to my question 3 still leaves me a bit confused as I allready read that page with supported formats (these were also on the webpage that I listed at question 3)
On that page the bitrate for almost every format that the Myro support is listed as 16 bit.
That is somewhat peculiar as the Wolfson WM8741 DAC supports a bitrate of 24 bit or even 32 bit.

See: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/media/76428/WM8741.pdf
PCM Mode
Sampling frequency: 32kHz to 192kHz Input data word length support: 16 to 32-bit
Supports all standard audio interface formats

So why wouldn't the Myro Air be able to support 24 bit through UPNP then? (In comparison the Airdac does support 24 bit through UPNP, so it should be possible)
As I intend to play 24 bit Flac files from my laptop, 24 bit support through UPNP is an important criteria for me (and probably also for a lot of other audiophiles the Myro Air is intended for).
Sorry, that list wasn't updated. The final release builds of Myro:Air support both 16 bit and 24 bit FLAC via UPNP. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page