Newbie question - Suggestion on a media streaming solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So... this is my situation.
I have in a room a main desktop computer that I use to rip blurays and some foreign dvds to play later...
I feel really annoying to use my ps3 to play blurays (not because of the UX, but because I have to change the disks), so I've decided to rip them and then stream it on a local wired network.

I've already has setup the networks, the tv, receiver, etc... the only thing I need is the correct technology to use it.
What I have up today is plex running on the computer and ps3 the living room to stream it. Also I have a Roku on the other room, but this one is trough wifi so it's really slow.

The issue is that, I don't have the quality that I expect. Usually the rips are in mkv from 12 to 20 gb.
so I need first a better, robust and upgradeable solution. I really want to enjoy full quality the films.

Also today I'm using the local storage from the computer, but I'm thinking on bulding a nas, storage there and also stream from that product too.

thanks in advance for the answers...

Ari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
PS3 does not support mkv which means Plex is transcoding the content, which results in an image quality hit.

Get Handbrake and encode a movie into mp4/m4v with high profile preset and on video tab set RF = 18 that should give a high quality video. Play that on your PS3 and see if happy with the results.

If you ripped with MakeMKV that is the same video thats on the disc, in order to play those with no transcoding get a WDTV Live or for Plex buy a GoogleTV device which has a Plex client and the required media support , Sony's is considered the best of the bunch but there are a few options from Netgear, Asus, Vizio.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

So the solution is as simple as buying a WDTV Live or Google TV ?

Unfortunately re encoding is not a option, I've already have a lot of content on mkv.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Correct, whichever you prefer but if you really like Plex then the GoogleTV is your best course of action.

If you have already converted the media into H.264/mkv you can use MKV2MP4 to quickly turn it back into an H.264/m4v, works very well for Apple/Sony devices.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

my question is this...
is it plex the best solution in the market for what I need?

Also I would need in the next month to upgrade my system to a 8 disk nas (to have raid 5 for more reliability). So do you suggest any externa solution for this?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

If you use Plex then the GoogleTV Plex client is the best of the bunch. The absolute best is the computer version of Plex media center but that means using a Mac/PC.

If you don't care about the UI Plex offers than anything will do, from a basic WDTV Live or a more high end Popcornhour A400.

You mean continue to use PC as server, well that is called a DAS, you can buy those which give USB/eSATA links to PC and expand storage that way.

If the PC has enough space internally then get a PCI-e SATA controller, plenty of 4 port models available if you have two PCI-e slots free that will give you 8 in total. Pack in as many HDD's into the case as possible, a tower case helps, if there are a few 5.25" bays free, get something like this 5-bay caddy to make use of them. Lastly get something like FlexRAID for Window and use that to build your RAID array within the PC.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

ok, I'll go with a googletv... so I have to choose a stand alone solution. I've used to have the logitech one but I've gave to my parents... should I buy this again?

for the other solution.. I'll ask you more questions later.

again, thanks a lot.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

No I would get the second generation GoogleTV models the first generation models are no longer supported.

Vizio Co-Star, Sony GTV, Netgear NeoTV Prime, Asus Cube, Hisense Pulse are all second gen models.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

ok, and from that list what do you think is the best?
I was reading really good reviews of the asus cube.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

They aren't hugely different from each other, it's the same chip in each one though the UI does vary among them like the Asus Cube has a very different take on it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think the Remote for the Sony unit is by far the best of the streamers, so from a usability standpoint, my vote would easily go the the Sony. Also, there"s an updated Remote for version 3 supported OS which features voice control. Not sure it comes with the newest Sony, but should very shortly. It is available from Sony now for current owners for $50.