Need help connecting computer to display -- with complications - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm building a computerized directory for a medical office facility, and I have very little experience in the AV world. I'm looking to connect a computer to a digital display of roughly 40", but the cables which connect them need to be small -- Cat5, or another connection which can fit through a 1" diameter hole. There should be no need for audio, so this setup can be fairly simple.

Can a Cat5 carry a video signal from a computer to a display? Can a Cat5 carry a video signal from a router to a display?

If It's possible, I'd love to have a display that can be controlled via Wi-Fi. Is that possible?

I have not bought either the computer (most likely a laptop) or the display yet, so I am open to many options. The laptop will remain on 24/7, should I need one, but I would prefer to be able to control the display from behind a router if possible.

I really appreciate any suggestions!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Most modern computers & laptops have (or can add via option) an HDMI output- the HDMI connector is less than an inch high- and gives full digital signal.
If you need to control the computer remotely- use Real VNC via your network.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
replayrob,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm sure I will be using an HDMI cable now, if a laptop is going to be present at the display monitor. I read about Real VNC, and it looks like a great deal.

Does anyone know of a way to have signal come through a router, and lead to a display monitor, without the need for a computer at the monitor? This scenario is why I'm curious about Cat5 cables and video feed.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page