Sharing Movies with my Home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but I am in the midst of changing my setup to access my movies throughout my house. Here is my current setup:

1. My household mainly watches bluray movies.
2. I have an unraid server with bluray's ripped utilizing makemkv.
3. Right now we watch movies mainly in our home theater utilizing a popcorn hour A300.
4. I installed plex server on an virtual ubuntu server. I confirmed plex is working via the plexnmt app for the popcorn hour A300.
5. Currently my household has 2 appletv and 1 first gen roku.
6. Now I want to be able to have access to the movie collection at each tv and have access to netflix.

My thought is to use plex. I want to keep this as reasonable as possible. I know plex with an appletv is not very friendly due to all the issues that come with jail break. I am trying to figureout how I can accomplish my goal (watch the movies from any tv and have access to netflix).

Issues:
Being bluray ripped with makemkv. I want full 1080p and HD lossless sound in my theater. This is what I like about makemkv.
The rest of the house does not matter other than 1080p res.

The only resolution that I can come up with is to have 1 share with my home theater movies and a different share with the same movies that are in a format compatible with the streamer/plex client of my choice (roku 3 is my current thought). This wastes a lot of disk space and takes a lot of extra time doing the conversion process.

I am wondering if there is a better way to approach this setup. Thoughts

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAddikt View Post

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but I am in the midst of changing my setup to access my movies throughout my house. Here is my current setup:

1. My household mainly watches bluray movies.
2. I have an unraid server with bluray's ripped utilizing makemkv.
3. Right now we watch movies mainly in our home theater utilizing a popcorn hour A300.
4. I installed plex server on an virtual ubuntu server. I confirmed plex is working via the plexnmt app for the popcorn hour A300.
5. Currently my household has 2 appletv and 1 first gen roku.
6. Now I want to be able to have access to the movie collection at each tv and have access to netflix.

My thought is to use plex. I want to keep this as reasonable as possible. I know plex with an appletv is not very friendly due to all the issues that come with jail break. I am trying to figureout how I can accomplish my goal (watch the movies from any tv and have access to netflix).

Issues:
Being bluray ripped with makemkv. I want full 1080p and HD lossless sound in my theater. This is what I like about makemkv.
The rest of the house does not matter other than 1080p res.

The only resolution that I can come up with is to have 1 share with my home theater movies and a different share with the same movies that are in a format compatible with the streamer/plex client of my choice (roku 3 is my current thought). This wastes a lot of disk space and takes a lot of extra time doing the conversion process.

I am wondering if there is a better way to approach this setup. Thoughts

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to help

I have a similar desire. I haven't really found an "all in one" solution. I have a Dune in my theater to play .mkv lossless rips. I use an arctic MC-001 running the openelec version of XBMC on it for all of my "just the TV" set ups in other rooms. I have the Arctic plugged in to 4x4 matrix and this enables the TV in the living room, kitchen and family room to watch a movie with downmixed stereo sound. Unfortunately no netflix. I have a ps3 on the matrix as well and use that as my netflix streamer.

The XMBC interface is extremely family friendly and since the openelec version is a stripped down version of linux that only runs XMBC it boots in less than 20 seconds from a USB drive and is ready to go. My family loves it. I was thinking of adding a 2nd Dune , the problem with my current one is that it didn't play nicely with the matrix, the edid between the AVR receiver in my theater's sound capabilities and the other TVs being stereo or dolby digital only made it shut down. So I didn't want to break the bank and only needed .mkv playback with stereo sound.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Let me save u guys some pain: you won't get what you want...certainly not an "all in one" or remotely painless process, anyway. I beat a bunch of poor people to their electronic deaths looking for such a reality.

Well, certainly not while instituting apple tvs/ios devices, anyway.

I would suggest simply utilizing something inexpensive and versatile- like the WDTV Lives- for the non-primary rooms. You can then continue ripping mkvs and they'll playback in every room.

As an Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone user I can assure you that I REALLY wanted to have the best of both worlds, but it simply cannot be done without a LOT of extra time and space. Instead, I'll have EVERYTHING in every room and simply transcode the stuff I MUST have for the pads and phones.

Contrary to what others believe, one day the movie world will be "iTuned" by apple and it will operate much like music collections do today (across devices, everywhere) and this will all be over...but I'm not betting it's gonna happen in the next couple years.

Good luck.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Good luck. What you guys want doesn't exist. You can make HTPC's for all your rooms, and that would probably be your best option.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Replace the ATV and Roku is simplest way, get a Sony GoogleTV NSZ-GS7, this will play the output from MakeMKV without requiring the server to transcode the video, the audio it may have to as GTV only does Dolby 5.1 but the chip in the GTV can handle Blu-ray video streams.

The GoogleTV is also the best Plex set top box client & will give you Netflix too, you could look at a Blu-ray player with Plex clients like ones from Samsung/LG but they come with Cinavia DRM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page