Blu-ray Drive Rip Performance - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dazz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are you actually connecting to a USB 3.0 port?

My LG UH12NS29, that I put in external USB 2.0 case, will rip around 6.5x over USB 2.0.
Yeah its connect to a 3.0 port. but using just a 2.0 cable. I read some reviews that others were seeing "3.0 speed" Will pick up 3.0 cable this week to test.
dazz87 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,330
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 2630
I finally got a chance to rip a non Fox, single layer disc that was almost full. The Pioneer BDR-209D hit a rip speed of 11.9x at the very end. SO this drive has some speed but the fox titles with the 2x riplock just ruin it. WHich is why I like the BDR-207D better. It might hit a max of only 8x on single layer discs but it will hit the same speeds on dual layer discs without being handicapped with rip lock from the Fox discs. ANd since the bulk of discs are dual layer, at least what I've seen, the 207D seems like a great compromise.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 12-31-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 12,614
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
I just installed a pair of LG WH16NS40 BD burners in my main desktop (wife broke my WH10LS30). Out of the box they hit a max rip rate of 12X at the edge of the disk using ImgBurn. There is a firmware update for this drive but running MediaSpeedCodeEdit on the firmware did nothing to increase the rip speed. Either these drives don't ship with a rip-lock or MSCE has not caught up with these fairly recent drives.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,330
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 2630
I thought MCSE hasn't been updated in a very long time.

I'm done using my LG drives as my primary drives for ripping. I have at least half a dozen of them. I plan on getting a couple more Pioneers the next time they are on sale.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 01-01-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 12,614
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
It has been two years since MSCE was updated.

I like the LG drives and these WH16NS40's are giving me 12X out of the box. The previous WH10LS30 only gave me 4X until I used MSCE on it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Member
 
acex008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's the difference between the WH14NS40 and the WH16NS40?
acex008 is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 12,614
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
14X vs. 16X.
I've had both. I currently have a pair of the WH16NS40's.

In practice you will never reach either speed when ripping a BD.
Just buy whichever one is cheaper.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,330
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
14X vs. 16X.
I've had both. I currently have a pair of the WH16NS40's.

In practice you will never reach either speed when ripping a BD.
Just buy whichever one is cheaper.
Those speeds are for burning. Both drives have identical read speeds from CDs, DVDs, and BDs.

For BDs the max read rate is 12X for single layer and 8X for dual layer. WHich is typical specs for most drives.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Member
 
acex008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Okay. Thanks for the info. I can get the 14 for $50 shipped on eBay compared to $68 shipped for the 16.
acex008 is offline  
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just been reading through these dialogs and wanted to make a quick point about reading speeds, riplock, and various drives. These are older posts I noticed but the subject is slow reading speeds. I have recently experienced this "riplock" slow as molasses reading speed with two different drives, Pioneer 209dbk and LG wh16ns40, which are both 16x drives. First I bought the Pioneer because of brand, speed, and just because I was having problems with my LG which was probably just worn out. Installed the Pioneer and got 2x reading speeds, said it had like 3-4 hours til finished. Then I chased this "riplock" subject without success because there is no solution for the 209dbk and then bought the LG out of frustration. Put it in and guess what....it did the same. Took the pioneer to my other computer and it blazed through the lastest movie I put in. And I'm sure the LG will do the same. The difference.....downstairs computer is running windows 10 and upstairs is running windows 7 ultimate. Both have same MB's, cpu's. Something about Windows 10 seems to be the difference as far as I can tell. If it is something else I don't know what it is. Man, the hours I've spent looking for a riplock solution, firmware updates, everything in-between.

rodeohog
rodeohog is offline  
Old 04-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Member
 
cnelson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a pretty weird ripping speed problem. I've been ripping CDs, DVDs, & Blu-Rays for years without issue, but this problem just started suddenly about 6 months ago. At first I thought my LG GGW-H20L was shot so I replaced it with an LG WH16NS40. But it either has the same problem, or most likely my issue lies elsewhere.
I usually rip several BR discs in a row. The first rip in a batch always takes 10-16 hrs (!!!!!), while subsequent BRs take about an hour each. If I stop the process after an hour or two, and then restart with either the same disc or a different one, that first BR disc always takes forever. If I go back and re-rip the disc that took forever, it only takes an hour.
Some details:
I'm on a Mac running Windows 7 in a Fusion VM with everything latest and up-to-date.
The LG optical drive is connected via USB.
The HDD I'm ripping to is also USB.
By "batch" I mean I fire up the VM and the USB drives, rip 3-8 BRs, then shut down the VM and drives. I do this 5-6 times a month.
Questions:
Why did this suddenly start only a few months ago?
Why is it only the first disc?
I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot. I'm tempted to just not ever shut down the W7 VM and USB drives. I'll probably solve this the way I always solve things: many hours on Google. But hoping someone can offer some insight.
cnelson87 is offline  
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MichaelZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,021
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
I have a pretty weird ripping speed problem. I've been ripping CDs, DVDs, & Blu-Rays for years without issue, but this problem just started suddenly about 6 months ago. At first I thought my LG GGW-H20L was shot so I replaced it with an LG WH16NS40. But it either has the same problem, or most likely my issue lies elsewhere.
I usually rip several BR discs in a row. The first rip in a batch always takes 10-16 hrs (!!!!!), while subsequent BRs take about an hour each. If I stop the process after an hour or two, and then restart with either the same disc or a different one, that first BR disc always takes forever. If I go back and re-rip the disc that took forever, it only takes an hour.
Some details:
I'm on a Mac running Windows 7 in a Fusion VM with everything latest and up-to-date.
The LG optical drive is connected via USB.
The HDD I'm ripping to is also USB.
By "batch" I mean I fire up the VM and the USB drives, rip 3-8 BRs, then shut down the VM and drives. I do this 5-6 times a month.
Questions:
Why did this suddenly start only a few months ago?
Why is it only the first disc?
I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot. I'm tempted to just not ever shut down the W7 VM and USB drives. I'll probably solve this the way I always solve things: many hours on Google. But hoping someone can offer some insight.
cnelson87, which VM are you running? Have you changed which ports you were using a few months ago? Do you have virus protection running on windows 7?
MichaelZ is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 AM
Member
 
cnelson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
cnelson87, which VM are you running? Have you changed which ports you were using a few months ago? Do you have virus protection running on windows 7?
VMwAre Fusion Pro 8.1.
Pretty sure I haven't changed any ports, at least not deliberately or knowingly. Wouldn't even know how to. What ports would I ever need to change and why?
Just running Microsoft Security Essentials, no other virus protection.

This VM is setup for very specific purposes: ripping Blu-Rays with AnyDVD HD, re-muxing with Clown_BD, scraping metadata with Media Center Master, and occasionally burning a disc with ImgBurn. I don't use it for anything else as I'm primarily a Mac user and I only use Windows to do the things I can't easily do on a Mac.
cnelson87 is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Member
 
cnelson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
VMwAre Fusion Pro 8.1.
Pretty sure I haven't changed any ports, at least not deliberately or knowingly. Wouldn't even know how to. What ports would I ever need to change and why?
Just running Microsoft Security Essentials, no other virus protection.

This VM is setup for very specific purposes: ripping Blu-Rays with AnyDVD HD, re-muxing with Clown_BD, scraping metadata with Media Center Master, and occasionally burning a disc with ImgBurn. I don't use it for anything else as I'm primarily a Mac user and I only use Windows to do the things I can't easily do on a Mac.
Update: I haven't figured out the why of the problem, but the what seems to be the external USB HDD I'm ripping to. Started to rip a new batch, checked on it 2 hrs later to find it was only at 8%, and aborted the rip. Stopping AnyDVD in the middle of a rip crashed Windows. This happened once before. Deleting the partial rip from the drive then crashed my Mac (the USB HDD is mounted on the Mac and shared to the W7 VM). Rebooted everything and plugged in a different USB HDD and now I'm ripping a 39GB BR at 12+MB/s, the whole things should take about 55 mins. This is more like it!
cnelson87 is offline  
Old 04-07-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,330
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
I have a pretty weird ripping speed problem. I've been ripping CDs, DVDs, & Blu-Rays for years without issue, but this problem just started suddenly about 6 months ago. At first I thought my LG GGW-H20L was shot so I replaced it with an LG WH16NS40. But it either has the same problem, or most likely my issue lies elsewhere.
I usually rip several BR discs in a row. The first rip in a batch always takes 10-16 hrs (!!!!!), while subsequent BRs take about an hour each. If I stop the process after an hour or two, and then restart with either the same disc or a different one, that first BR disc always takes forever. If I go back and re-rip the disc that took forever, it only takes an hour.
Some details:
I'm on a Mac running Windows 7 in a Fusion VM with everything latest and up-to-date.
The LG optical drive is connected via USB.
The HDD I'm ripping to is also USB.
By "batch" I mean I fire up the VM and the USB drives, rip 3-8 BRs, then shut down the VM and drives. I do this 5-6 times a month.
Questions:
Why did this suddenly start only a few months ago?
Why is it only the first disc?
I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot. I'm tempted to just not ever shut down the W7 VM and USB drives. I'll probably solve this the way I always solve things: many hours on Google. But hoping someone can offer some insight.
I have the Pioneer 207D and 209D in my main WIndows 10 machine. Most of the time they are fine. But sometimes I will stick a disc in one and rip lock happens. Then I move it to the other one and it's fine. Or I will use the same disc a different day and there is no Rip lock. 95% of the time it is fine. No idea why it happens sometimes. At one point it seemed like it was Fox titles but it's been inconsistent.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 04-07-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MichaelZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,021
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post
Update: I haven't figured out the why of the problem, but the what seems to be the external USB HDD I'm ripping to. Started to rip a new batch, checked on it 2 hrs later to find it was only at 8%, and aborted the rip. Stopping AnyDVD in the middle of a rip crashed Windows. This happened once before. Deleting the partial rip from the drive then crashed my Mac (the USB HDD is mounted on the Mac and shared to the W7 VM). Rebooted everything and plugged in a different USB HDD and now I'm ripping a 39GB BR at 12+MB/s, the whole things should take about 55 mins. This is more like it!
I use VMware 8.1 myself and I had problem with a windows anti-virus programs that would scan any disc I inserted in my system, which would kill the speed while ripping. As far as the ports I was talking about plugging the devices in the back of the iMac and then switching one to the keyboard port (or some different) which can cause weird usb bus timing problems (sometimes). Sounds like you have a flaky drive that is doing some very slow writes. I had a pioneer bd burner that would get slower has it ripped - it was a heat problem so I replaced it and no problem since. Glad to hear you found the problem, intermittent problems are the hardest to troubleshoot.
MichaelZ is offline  
Old 05-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
ShoutingMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA / One Loudoun
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeohog View Post
Just been reading through these dialogs and wanted to make a quick point about reading speeds, riplock, and various drives. These are older posts I noticed but the subject is slow reading speeds. I have recently experienced this "riplock" slow as molasses reading speed with two different drives, Pioneer 209dbk and LG wh16ns40, which are both 16x drives. First I bought the Pioneer because of brand, speed, and just because I was having problems with my LG which was probably just worn out. Installed the Pioneer and got 2x reading speeds, said it had like 3-4 hours til finished. Then I chased this "riplock" subject without success because there is no solution for the 209dbk and then bought the LG out of frustration. Put it in and guess what....it did the same. Took the pioneer to my other computer and it blazed through the lastest movie I put in. And I'm sure the LG will do the same. The difference.....downstairs computer is running windows 10 and upstairs is running windows 7 ultimate. Both have same MB's, cpu's. Something about Windows 10 seems to be the difference as far as I can tell. If it is something else I don't know what it is. Man, the hours I've spent looking for a riplock solution, firmware updates, everything in-between.

rodeohog
Is Win10 or Win7 the slow ripping PC, for you?
ShoutingMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off