Complicated Question - Display, 4G and Streaming Related: Netflix and Vudu on a boat! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of upgrading my boat's electronic capabilities. I'm going from a 10 watt solar panel to a 270 watt array. I am interested now in having some sort of media on the boat. My thoughts were that the best possible system would be streaming everything over 4g as opposed to trying to deal with discs.

So now I want to create something entirely from scratch. The only thing I have now is some marine speakers already installed and an amplifier. This is connected to a headphone plug. I have been using this for just music.

Ideally my system would include the following components.
1. Netflix
2. Roku
3. Spotify.
4. A mounted screen, maybe 27 inches, inside the cabin - with a mount that can raise and lower it, and have it flat against the cabin roof and out of the way when not in use.
5. Being able to connect it to my amp.
6. Being able to use my iphone as a remote.(optional but nice)

I've thought of lots of different ways this may be possible. My goal however is to accomplish this at minimal cost, minimal power draw and minimal devices to be hooked up.

I've thought of the following ideas.

A cellphone with HDMI out and unlimited data that can run netflix/roku/spotify, and a, light, flat, HDMI capable monitor. (Not sure if I will get watchable quality this way.)

A 4g hotspot, a roku and a TV. (3 devices now, not entirely ideal. Also not sure who gives a fair and high quality unlimited 4g hotspot.)

Some sort of tablet with a 4g plan. (Small screen size, alson ot sure about who gives a fair, high quality 4g plan for tablets.)

Any ideas? What would all of you do if you were trying to run a media center entirely off 4g?

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Or just get a WDTV Live and a USB hard drive, rip the discs as ISO images using AnyDVD or use MakeMKV on them to put them on the USB HDD and play them on the WDTV Live. No 4G connection required, though the WDTV Live does have Netflix and Spotify support if you need a fall back option.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your plan is doable, but 1st where is the boat being used? and how far from a visible cell tower? As far as unlimited 4G, none of the major carriers actually offer this anymore, yet you can pay the added fees for going over your monthly usage. Depending on where you are I'd compare 4G services from either ATT or Verizon; Sprint is going through a transition of technology and their 4G isn't nearly as fast as Verizons. Instead of a hotspot, I'd recommend getting a CradlePoint and a USB 4G Aircard; the CradlePoint can also act as a Router (wireless too!). Depending on how far out you are, you may need to invest in an external antenna for the 4G device.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page