Looking to replace PS3 with better streaming media player, have NAS, currently using Plex. Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as of late I've been getting somewhat annoyed with my PS3's occasional inability to recognize video files. The files are being stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS NVX and streamed over my wired network (gigabit) by my PC and served with Plex media server.

For the past couple weeks, I've been researching various media streamers. The WD Live devices have caught my attention, as many state they seem to play any files that are thrown at them (although i've also noted criticism of their UI). I've also been researching other devices (Mede8er, Popcorn Hour, Dune, etc) but honestly, my head is spinning trying to make sense of all the different models offered, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.

I'm hoping that perhaps the community here could help direct me to a solution to my problem. Compatibility with various file formats / codecs is probably the most important to me. I don't have a 3D TV but my receiver supports it so I guess 3D compatibility may be good in the long run (not sure I'll ever use it though). I"m using a 7.2 receiver right now but am currently set up as 5.1. Decent audio support would be great as with my current setup as all streamed audio is down mixed to 2ch (i believe this is due to the PS3's limitations but may also be due to the Plex server). Oh, speaking of DLNA servers... I understand some of these streaming devices can read network content natively w/o using DLNA. Is this a huge advantage?

Anyways, if someone could help me make some sense of this dilemma, it'd be greatly appreciated. I've already invested quite a bit of money into my home theater equipment, PC (media server) and network storage. I don't mind spending good money on a good streaming device - I just want to make sure I don't make a purchase that i'd regret and end up spending more down the road. Thanks in advance for any advice offered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What formats are you having an issue with on the PS3? From what I gather you're the PC has PMS installed and the NAS is just the storage repository, so PMS should recognize the client (PS3) and transcode the file into a playable format. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, as I'm not sure whether the PS3 supports HLS, here are a few clients you should look into:

WD Live Devices
Roku
Google TV Device (I have a Co-Star and love the fact that I don't have to change inputs to access content; the remote is good, but not great).
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

My videos are MP4 files. In brief, I found Samsung Blu-ray players better for streaming than the the PS3.

Here is my story.

I converted to digital video in 2006 using a Mac MIni attached to my family room TV. I was satisfied at first, but the video quality wasn't as good as the DVDs I converted to MP4. When I bought a PS3 for Blu-ray play in 2007, I experimented with various streamers and used Plex for a while, the quality was much better than the Mac video player, but I wasn't crazy about Plex menus. I really didn't need a game machine and bought a Samsung BD-D6500 in 2011. I was surprised to find that the streamed video quality seemed superior to the PS3, I also found a really nice streamer (Mezzmo) that allowed my to customize the streamed video menus displayed on my player

I was happy with two exceptions. Mezzmo is Windows only which required me simultaneously run Virtual Windows on my Mac ( a pain when required to re-boot), and the Samsung would not display Netflix subtitles. ( streamed subtitles worked )

So about 6 months ago, I decided to replace the Samsung Blu-Ray. I tried a Sony which displayed video streaming fine, but Netflix video quality was noticeably inferior to the Samsung. I returned the Sony and purchased a Samsung Samsung BD-E6500. Now I had Netflix subtitles and good native MP4 streaming audio. Then I found that Netflix Super HD ( digital audio ) would cause my new Samsung to occasionally buffer unless I downgraded to PCM audio. This was certainly unacceptable especially with with 30 MB/s internet. Samsung said send it back for repair and I did. For an unknown reason they replaced the motherboard, because it came back with same problem I sent it with. I was getting a bit exasperated.

Next I tried a Roku box for Netflix and MLB. Eureka! everything works as advertised and it is flat out fast. This solved the internet streaming problem.

Now for my local files. When I found that VLC had a nice iPad remote app, I tried VLC on my Mac for local files. Lo and behold super video quality, subtitles, a good menu and the bonus of a built in audio equalizer, I don't even have to run Windows.

However, I still have an occasional video burp. I am still playing the VLC FFmpeg settings and haven't completely solved the problem. ( my current Mac is a 2.5Ghz i5 with 8 mb RAM )

Good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

BlacMagik: I just looked up one of the files that wasn't playing and it's an AVI file with video encoded in MPEG4 (XviD) containing 2ch MP3 audio. It plays just fine on my computers, but not on my PS3 I was wondering why PMS wasn't transcoding the file properly. It was my understanding that it should transcode when needed, but the PS3 will come back and say the file is unsupported. As previously stated, I have been looking into the WD Live devices. I have also researched the Roku players, but it's my understanding that they're more suitable for streaming online content vs already acquired video files (based off what i've read). Google TV is something that I haven't read much about but I understand that they are designed to function with Plex, which probably wouldn't hurt if I end up keeping PMS running to serve my media.

Joel: Thank you for the input. I guess it should be noted that I, like you, am relying on OSX as my main PC OS. My home PC is a custom built Hackintosh running OSX 10.8.3, powered by an i7 3770k, 32gb ram, a couple SSD's and a larger storage drive. I can dual boot into Windows 8 (or run through VMWare Fusion), however i've grown to despise Windows, and Win8 has only amplified my disdain for the OS. My PC does have HDMI output. I guess I might be able to run the PC video and audio directly to my AV receiver, but I think I'd prefer it to just sit in the corner and serve up content (I know - it sounds like a waste). I don't really have any interest in streaming netflix or any other online provider - just hoping to easily access my extensive (to me) collection of TV shows and movies. I think I may download PS3MediaServer and see it that has more luck streaming my content than Plex does. I think i've tried it previously but had trouble pointing it to my media on my NAS. I guess it couldn't hurt taking another stab at it prior to throwing my hands in the air and purchasing more hardware lol
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, for some reason the PS3 doesn't play .avi media files (strange?). I've also run into that issue where Plex also doesn't encode into the correct format on the PS3. Another reason I'd say move away from Blu-Ray players as media streamers is the Cinavia BD audio protection; as far as I know it's only found on BD players, including the PS3.

As far as DLNA, it's still heavily fractured in implementation among device manufacturers, but if you find devices that support CIFS/SMB/NFS that's great. I'm heavily invested in Plex, as I have well over 1500 movies ripped into h.264 MP4 format, with a few .mkv files in there. My setup includes 2 Mac Mini systems each running VMware ESXi, where I run several production and lab OSes, PMS runs on a Win7 VM; storage is provided by a Synology DS1812+, currently about 20TB of storage. I have 2 Vizio Co-Stars, 1 Samsung Tv, and 3 Roku devices that run the Plex client...as well as games systems that can access Plex via DLNA. Speaking of DLNA, maybe PMS doesn't transcode for clients accessing content via DLNA, like the PS3 or XBox360; not sure, now I have to look into it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have several Samsung Blu-Ray players through my house (BD-D5700 & BD-D5300) that are all using the Plex client and have been running them for over a year now. I have found them to be the best Plex client out there without going for a full blown HTPC in terms of file compatibility and cost (I paid under $50 for each of these used on eBay).

Tags
Samsung Blu Ray Player Bd D5700 , Samsung Bd D5300 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player