Wired Ethernet Connection Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I set my Roku 2 XS up with wired ethernet and it works fine and upload/download speeds are great.

Here is my problem, if I unplug it (thunderstorms) then plug it back in and go to a channel it acts like it can't find the internet. It takes me to the network setup and I select wired and bang, green on all three tests but I still can't get any sites to work. If I look at my network status, it shows my IP and gateway information but it still does not work. If I push the reset and let it go through the setup, everything works great (EXCEPT I have to configure everything again).

Any suggestions? It happens every time I unplug it (please don't reply with "don't unplug it"cool.gif). And of course if I connect my laptop to it, it has no problems.

Thanks!

Don't know how I did this but I could have sworn that I was in the Roku 2 forum when I created this threat....sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
There's no real explanation for this other than whatever Roku does when powering on and finding the internet. You can try a couple of things - give the Roku a static IP address or reserve the address in the router, where DHCP leased addresses are likely to be negotiated.

Most people don't normally run around and unplug everything, we have surge protectors. They're pretty cool little things to own. wink.gif

post #3 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I would give it a static ip if you could but you can't. I could give it one via the router but getting an ip is not the problem.

And thanks for the lesson regarding the surge protector, I'm sure it will protect everything during a direct strike...
post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Well, we don't know what the problem is, and that's the point of either providing a static IP or reserving the address. Eliminate DHCP and address re-negotiation and go on from there. While you're at it, ensure that your router is assigning an external DNS address and not one on your local network.

How silly of Roku not to allow static address configuration, I didn't know. This is the first device I've seen without that capability.

If you're hit by a direct strike, I will flat guarantee that the last thing on your mind is powering up your Roku. biggrin.gif

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 2 Xs 1080p Streaming Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page