Is it worth re-encoding MPeg2 into H.264? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Just a quick question which is probably a pretty simple thing for you knowledgeable folks. I have been building my own HTPC and NAS set-up for a while and I've pretty much got to the point where all the house DVDs are ripped and can go away (disc-less house is great :-) ), everything has been ripped by MakeMKV and is in the mpeg2 format. I was thinking if it is worth encoding this to h.264? I obviously would save space but would it impact the quality at all? If it was worthwhile to go down this route, what would be the best way to go about this? Thank's in advance for any help offered by yourselves,

Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Anytime you re-encode video, you lost quality because all video codecs are lossy compression.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks foxbat, that is what I thought, it was only after seeing some h.264 encoded files, that were smaller than my dvd rips, but looked better that I considered it. My usual DVD rip is 4 gigs whereas this was half that size and looked better which confused me.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5h View Post

Just a quick question which is probably a pretty simple thing for you knowledgeable folks.
It is anything but simple. Opinions and experiences vary depending on degree and software used and can be very contentious. There is a huge discussion going on about it in this thread. Read back a couple pages to the start of it all.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5h View Post

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster. Just a quick question which is probably a pretty simple thing for you knowledgeable folks. I have been building my own HTPC and NAS set-up for a while and I've pretty much got to the point where all the house DVDs are ripped and can go away (disc-less house is great :-) ), everything has been ripped by MakeMKV and is in the mpeg2 format. I was thinking if it is worth encoding this to h.264? I obviously would save space but would it impact the quality at all? If it was worthwhile to go down this route, what would be the best way to go about this? Thank's in advance for any help offered by yourselves,

Tom.
I would experiment a bit. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. When you start ripping 1080p, you might need the room. I like Handbrake for ripping, VideoReDo for editing, VLC for playback.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Using HandBrake "High" profile, q=18, I get 2x and 3x space savings with DVD sources.

Quality seems very good to me, or I should say "good enough". DVD reveals recompression flaws more readily than Blu-ray, and you should certainly experiment with sources of different quality and different HandBrake settings to see what you can see.

I retain the original audio tracks and VOBSUB subtitles.

As a bonus, some DVDs that do not have subtitles do have closed captions which are not accessible with modern gear. HandBrake will extract these and encode them as SRT subtitle tracks in the output.

-Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

After reading this and a few other threads, I think I'm going to take some peoples advice and experiment. I have a lot of older films, black and white era, hitchcock films etc. and they are quite lossy already due to the nature of their transfers to DVD, so a bit more compression probably wont be any more noticeable that it already is. Of course if it's a big difference I will just return to using the old rip but it's worth a go. Thanks guys. Anymore advice on the subject is always welcome.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page