Streaming Cable Reciever on Local Network? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
This is my first post on the site apologies but I have not found the answer I am looking for.

I currently have a setup in my 3 Storey home as such:

Top Floor:
1. LG 42: Smart TV
2. Sony Playstation 3
3. Wii
4. TrendNet Powerline Adaptor (4 Port) 500Mbps (Avg speed 150 Mbps Streaming)

Center Floor:
1.(Office) Desktop computer/server Running PLEX Media Server
2.(Office) Wireless LAN Cisco EA4500 (iPad / iPhone / Android Access)
3.(Office) TrendNet Powerline Adaptor 500Mbps (Avg speed 150 Mbps Streaming)
4.(Bedroom) LG 42" Smart TV (2011)

Lower Floor (Livingroom)
1. LG 65" Smart TV (2012)
2.LG Blueray DVD (Smart)
3. Apple TV 2 (Jailbroken w/ Plex)
4. Cable TV Box
5. TrendNet Powerline Adaptor (4 Port) 500Mbps (Avg speed 150 Mbps Streaming)

Currently, all TV's and other connected devices can connect and watch any movie on the PLEX Server no issues even at 3d 1080p, My question finally smile.gif is:

Does anyone know how I can connect my cable box to my LAN or Server and Stream the content throughout the home? As I do have cable wired throughout the house the cables are damaged and cannot be replaced as I have all cement walls top to bottom (not in conduit). I am not looking to replace the cables but stream the content onto my media server. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You cant is the short answer.

There are some video distribution systems that can run over ethernet but the video is not transmitted as a network video stream that something like Plex, DLNA or Android could use they are just using the ethernet cable as a carrier and send it to other TV's (think old-school wireless video sender).

The only way to "digitize" the TV stream is a box or server which receives it then re-broadcasts to supported clients, for example XBMC PVR supports many back end servers, so your PC would have a tuner card to receive free to air broadcasts and the software makes this available over the network to XBMC clients.

Full ethernet is also required to transmit live TV channels, the powerline adapters may not be up to the task. There are some DLNA servers out there that claimed to be able to server up TV channels at one point (I think Wild media server has it), same principle really PC with tuner/free to air channels.

One of those Slingbox devices may work out, the WDTV Live and GoogleTV both have Sling clients that can display the output from the Slingbox.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted the evening news on my tablet. I have the haupppauge USB tuner on my desktop. I downloaded orb which will do analog channels. So far it is working with charter TV.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Linksys Ea4500 App Enabled N900 Dual Band Wireless N Router With Gigabit And Usb
Gear in this thread - Ea4500 by PriceGrabber.com