Lost my mind ripping blu rays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, I've officially lost my mind trying to rip blu-ray movies. I started with the free trial of DvdFab, moved on to MakeMKV. I'm always able to get lossless audio and video and I'm very pleased with those results, where I'm running into trouble is subtitles. Specifically, forced subtitles. Whatever I do they never play, or play every subtitle. Somehow I even got french subtitles to show on a rip when all I selected was the English ones. rolleyes.gif How hard can it be to just get the English subtitles to automatically play when a foreign language is spoken, like how it always is in a movie.

Right now my plan is to use a Synology NAS and stream to a Dune HD Base 3D, though I haven't purchased any of it yet so I'm open to suggestions. Regardless, if I can't even get it to work on my computer I'm still pretty far behind that point.

I've searched all around and can't seem to figure it out, so time to ask for help. All the information I've read is either old and out of date, fixes for very specific problems, or frankly too confusing with lingo and formats I don't understand yet. Anyway, help me out, how do I get this to work? What do you guys do? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
See this webpage, it lists movies with forced subtitles. In some instances the forced subtitles track number and time frame is specified which is useful to identify the correct track. Movies that are listed as hardcoded means the subs are part of the video stream itself so nothing needs to be done, there is no separate subtitle track.

1) Rip movies using MakeMKV or use your DVDFab but keep all English subtitle tracks.

2) Play movie in VLC and using the article above where time frames are listed cycle through subtitle tracks as the video plays to identify the correct forced subs track.

3) Get MKVmerge and drop in your movie, de-select all other subtitle tracks, highlight the subs track and set the "forced track flag" to yes, this makes it on supporting players always display the subtitles even if subs are disabled, not sure if Dune support that but do it anyway should you ever move on from Dune.

Click the "start muxing" button to generate a new mkv file with only the desired subtitle track.
thisrandomguy likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, will give this a try. One more question, what would I do if I wanted to keep the normal subtitles on the mkv as well? For example if I want to bring them up and see what someone said that I couldn't understand. Just keep it in the mkv as well but set the forced track flag to no?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just keep it in the mkv as well but set the forced track flag to no?

Correct.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Correct.

Was finally able to get it to work! Seriously thanks a ton, you saved me from needing to be shipped off to Shutter Island.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-29-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Now I'm trying to figure out ways to compress the files without losing any (or much) quality. I've downloaded handbrake and again don't really understand what's going on biggrin.gif. I know I don't want to lose any audio quality at all, so I assume I'd select DTS-HD Passthrough in audio tab (I'm using Iron Man 1 as my test video for all of this, btw).

Now video is where I'm more confused. I will soon be buying a ZT60 or VT60 and am currently using a decent Samsung LCD so I don't want to lose enough quality for it to be noticeable, and I am very picky with picture quality. Am I correct in assuming the Anamorphic setting of loose just gets rid of the black bars from the file itself? Or should I be selecting something else? Some other things that are confusing me are the differences between the video codec options. I think MakeMKV does the video is MPEG4 as it shows that when I bring it up in MKV merge, so should I select that or H.264? I have no idea what H.264 does though so please enlighten me. Finally with the Constant Quality setting I understand that it basically tells handbrake how much to compress but beyond that I'm at a loss. Also, if I use MakeMKV to make the original lossless copy, then use MKVMerge to set the correct subtitle tracks to forced, will using handbrake to compress do anything to those subtitles?

Anyway, basically what I want to do is keep the lossless audio and only lower the video quality to where it saves space but isn't noticeable, i.e. to where I my eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference between the compressed file and original Blu-Ray, if that isn't possible I'll just keep the original uncompressed mkv. So again help me out, give me some pointers and starting points and I can tweak from there. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

BDtoAVCHD might be a better alternative to handbrake it's actually simpler in some ways.

1) Select open video file and point it at your mkv.
2) Set "Target Audio = Untouched".
3) Set "target Subtitles = Selected" the selected track is the one seen in subtitles section just above.
4) Set "Target Media = MKV crf and set CRF = 18 - considered the sweet spot between image quality and compression, movies should look similar to original at half to or two thirds the size of the original on average but not all movies compress the same with constant quality.
5) Click Add to Queue then Full Recode CRF lastly click start.

That will produce a high quality copy compressed with x264 keeping audio track in place along with subtitles, BDtoAVCHD doesn't crop the video black bars, in fact there is no need to with x264 as there is no penalty.

An advanced option is the speed vs quality setting, this affects the encoding speed the default medium is best left but if you really wanted to squeeze out something extra you can change it to slow or slower at a cost of time of course (I really don't think it's worth it but it's your call).

If you want to stick with handbrake
* high profile preset, mkv container, select auto pass-through, set RF = 18, add sub (you can optionally burn in subs), cropping can be left on or disabled it makes no difference.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page