GBox - what does it do and how does it do it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
noelani6696's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd be very appreciative if someone could explain to me what exactly this box does and how does it do it? I'll forewarn you that I am incredibly technologically ignorant. You can talk to me like a 5 year, I won't be upset, lol. I live in Alaska and cable tv is ridiculously expensive. So far I have HULU and Netflix but I miss my old shows that I could watch on cable. A friend has this and said that I can get cable tv and tons of new movies for free. I am curious how it does this? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
noelani6696 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
dandirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you talking about this: http://www.gboxusa.tk/ ?

If you are it looks like a Android/XBMC box with their gbox software which is basically a bunch of internet streaming channels packaged in a nicer/neater interface.
dandirk is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
noelani6696's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post

Are you talking about this: http://www.gboxusa.tk/ ?

If you are it looks like a Android/XBMC box with their gbox software which is basically a bunch of internet streaming channels packaged in a nicer/neater interface.

I have no idea what the Android Box looks like or does either. lol. As you can see I am extremely uneducated about these types of things. From what I gather using this box you are able to stream cable tv, movies, etc for free? Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.
noelani6696 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
jvarisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani6696 View Post

I have no idea what the Android Box looks like or does either. lol. As you can see I am extremely uneducated about these types of things. From what I gather using this box you are able to stream cable tv, movies, etc for free? Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.

No name manufacturer with a .tk website selling an android device. It's junk. 100% guaranteed.
jvarisco is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MarkHotchkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Noelani,

Welcome to the forum.

What do you use to watch HULU and Netflix? Do you have a computer? (dumb question, since you're reading this).

Android is a free operating system software, sponsored by Google. Anybody can take a cheap computer chip, add a TV interface and an Ethernet interface to it, load the Android software on it and sell an "Android box". My guess is that there are dozens of companies that sell similar boxes. This one is nothing special.

If you have a computer and Internet, then anything that you can watch with this box you can also watch on your computer. That is all this box is - a very lightweight computer that knows how to stream content that is already on the Internet into your TV.

This link might give you a better idea of what the Gbox does: http://www.google.com/tv/
MarkHotchkiss is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Noelani,

Welcome to the forum.

What do you use to watch HULU and Netflix? Do you have a computer? (dumb question, since you're reading this).

Android is a free operating system software, sponsored by Google. Anybody can take a cheap computer chip, add a TV interface and an Ethernet interface to it, load the Android software on it and sell an "Android box". My guess is that there are dozens of companies that sell similar boxes. This one is nothing special.

If you have a computer and Internet, then anything that you can watch with this box you can also watch on your computer. That is all this box is - a very lightweight computer that knows how to stream content that is already on the Internet into your TV.

This link might give you a better idea of what the Gbox does: http://www.google.com/tv/

Google TV is very different from normal Android, which is what this box runs.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MarkHotchkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Google TV is very different from normal Android, which is what this box runs.
Yes, this is true. But if you scroll down to the "What you can watch" and the "How it works" sections on that web page, they are directly applicable. There are more similarities between the Gbox and Google TV (which is indeed based on Android) then there are differences.
MarkHotchkiss is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
dandirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani6696 View Post

I have no idea what the Android Box looks like or does either. lol. As you can see I am extremely uneducated about these types of things. From what I gather using this box you are able to stream cable tv, movies, etc for free? Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.

I guess I was asking if the link I displayed is the actual device you are talking about. As has been mentioned, gbox could be google TV etc etc etc. You said your friend has one... can they provide a model number, vendor etc to confirm we are talking about the same device?
dandirk is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
noelani6696's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use Hulu and Netflix now through a Wii but my friend has the gbox and said I can get cable tv for free through it. True?
noelani6696 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
noelani6696's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post

I guess I was asking if the link I displayed is the actual device you are talking about. As has been mentioned, gbox could be google TV etc etc etc. You said your friend has one... can they provide a model number, vendor etc to confirm we are talking about the same device?

Yes, it appears that is the box that he has. I don't have any cable service, only internet. Honestly, I don't care if I can access my computer through my tv. I am trying to get cable for free, lol. In Alaska cable is crazy expensive.
noelani6696 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Member
 
KAAIHUE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fla
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My opinion is to look up what XBMC can do. With certain add-ons it is possible. Check out the gbox on youtube. I have been looking at the same gbox mx2. Not sure if I should just build my own HTPC. Its only $99 on amazon. Not so much of a loss if its not as good as it looks.
KAAIHUE1 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Member
 
MagicMan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Personally, I would avoid the Gbox, I bought one and exchanged it cause it couldn't play any media without stuttering and the replacement did the same..
I wanted to get it exchanged again but the vendor and manufacturer would not reply.

XBMC is an amazing interface, best one I've ever used.
MagicMan3 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
gmd024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread is titled "GBox - what does it do and how does it do it?" -- But -- there are 'Two' G-Boxes -- so I'm not sure which one(s) are being discussed here

My personal experience(s) with 'Both "Matricom" G-Boxes are 'very positive'

Plus, there are a few 'G-Box' copies available, which are copies of Matricom's G-Box Midnight and the G-Box Midnight 'MX2' - the MX2 is their most recent Box

I've purchased both Boxes and my experience with both is totally positive - I loaded both boxes with 'Many' Android Apps and loaded XBMC on both with 'Very Many' addons and programs -- I kept the MX2 and sent the G-Box Midnight to my daughter who lives in another state -- and we have been enjoying both Boxes, without issue!


MagicMan3... when you say the G-Box couldn't play "any media" -- can I ask...

Which G-Box you are talking about and was your G-Box a Matricom Box

What was the file extension(s) and/or the container type(s) of the media you were trying to play

Was the media played locally from a USB HDD - or over your local network (via Wired - or Wireless)

Personally, I'd recommend the Matricom "G-Box Midnight MX2" - it's supported very well from both the MFG'r/Matricom' and their user community, on the forum... http://matricom.net/forum/
gmd024 is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 10-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Bob Olink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a G-Box Midnight MX2 and I like it pretty well. The implementation of XBMC it uses is limited to 720P output which is okay for me because of the TV I am using.
XBMC works like it would on an HTPC although it is noticeably slower when using menus or scanning content. Playback has been excellent, no stuttering or buffering
on the Blu-ray rips I have on my NAS. These boxes can be flashed with an XBMC only environment that I read is more robust than the stock one. As mentioned there
are a lot of Android apps and you can add others. The browser works pretty damn well too, the best I've used on a dedicated steaming device. Would I want this as my
primary streamer, probably not due to the 720P limit in XBMC but all-in-all it's a nifty little box. It works well with a wireless keyboard and mouse too.
candoan likes this.
Bob Olink is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Slack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stupid question.

Since this runs XBMC I am assuming I could use it as a front end client to any of the backend PVR software XBMC now supports.
Is anybody using the gbox in this way? Specifically with the nPVR (NextPVR) backend?

My SageTV infrastructure is aging and I want to move to something open source.
Slack is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Member
 
candoan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink View Post

I have a G-Box Midnight MX2 and I like it pretty well. The implementation of XBMC it uses is limited to 720P output which is okay for me because of the TV I am using.
XBMC works like it would on an HTPC although it is noticeably slower when using menus or scanning content. Playback has been excellent, no stuttering or buffering
on the Blu-ray rips I have on my NAS. These boxes can be flashed with an XBMC only environment that I read is more robust than the stock one. As mentioned there
are a lot of Android apps and you can add others. The browser works pretty damn well too, the best I've used on a dedicated steaming device. Would I want this as my
primary streamer, probably not due to the 720P limit in XBMC but all-in-all it's a nifty little box. It works well with a wireless keyboard and mouse too.

+1

Pana 60ST60, Onkyo TX-NR3009, OPPO BDP-103, Klipsch WF-35, Klipsch WS-24, Klipsch WC-24, Klipsch Reference RW-12d, BIC America DV62si.
candoan is online now  
post #17 of 18 Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Technopundit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I won't argue with anyone who doesn't like the G-Box MX2, but it has changed my life.  It's small, functional, quiet, energy efficient, and the program choices are glorious.  Check out the You Tube videos (many of which are outdated, as this platform updates rapidly) and amazon reviews.

However, the learning curve isn't easy.  Update to the latest firmware before diving in.


ANYthing but Cable!
Technopundit is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Technopundit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just curious what it does, how it does it, and can someone with no experience like me use it easily.

The short answer is "no". Unless, of course, you have an 11 year old techie in the house, accept your limitations and stick to Roku.


ANYthing but Cable!
Technopundit is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off