External USB Hard Drive/ Media player questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi -

I have a 300 gig external drive that is almost full of videos of tv shows/ movies .......I'm using a cheap Micca Speck media player which works well.....will it harm my WD external 300 gig drive to play 8 hours per day? I realize a drive could die at any moment no matter what, and my data is backed up on another drive, but I'm wondering if it's designed for using it as I'm using it........Playing on my tv hooked to a media player 8 hours per day...........Is that bad on hard drive?
Also, those Western Digital portable "My Passport" drives - does anyone know why they don't have any venting holes.....? It's just in a square small box with no way to get air.......I just find that kind of odd since heat is a hard drive's enemy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 11
I have an Iomega 2TB that I hook up to my blu ray player and watch it on and off all day. It's my main source of watching tv/movies. I've been using it for a year and a half without fail. It's my understanding that its actually better for a hard drive to stay running than to start and stop multiple times since the motor is more likely to fail. Every time I turn it on I know it's one time closer to its death.

Maybe look into some NAS that stays on all the time. That will be my next purchase.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 12
The better enclosures have a fan, or are made of aluminum, which acts as a heat sink, but fans are still better. If it is plastic and doesn't have a fan or vent holes then your hd is cooking itself and that will shorten it's life.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 10
Looking for the best way to play my music files on an Oppo 105. Mainly, I'm interested in a growing number of FLAC files from HD Tracks. Starting off with a WD My Book to a USB input in the back. Sounds ok.

ALso, looking for best way of streaming my huge number of ALAC files, which the OPPO does not play. I tried Plex but it isn't working on those either, plus seems like it would dumb them down to 320kps even if it worked.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Micca Speck Full Hd Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For Usb Drives And Sd Sdhc Cards

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page