Nuvola NP-1 and NP-2 4K Media player starting at 300$ - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 147 Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The problem with all the android solutions is none of them have good drivers/software blobs that use the hardware to the full potential. The cheap Chinese brands just slap in the generic solution. It will take someone to make custom drivers/software blobs for the android based units. If you want to have it now why not buy the nvidia shield and root it. It is based on the tegra 4 and outputs 4k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 147 Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/chome-os-chromebox-asus-google-march,25947.html
post #93 of 147 Old 04-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Liked: 12
We have researched further and about all the players some can play 4k but none can output 4k some of the cheaper units will soon be available with 4k output got a letter back today from toucan said there player would play but the newest one will output.
post #94 of 147 Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Liked: 13
http://cdn.avsforum.com/9/98/9845deb4_image.jpeg

looks like NP-1 will be delayed and comes with Kitkat smile.gif

apple fan boy here but i am glad to see NP-1 will come with 4.4 instead of the 4.2

the press release didnt mention when it will be ready...its waiting for Google's approve to be shipped with 4.4 as per PR.

cheers,
h
Rudy1 likes this.
post #95 of 147 Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
If they keep going with the release delays, this preorder could turn into my Redray preorder lol tongue.gif

post #96 of 147 Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
post #97 of 147 Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds very unsurprising with regards to their access to content. Small independent 4K hardware maker doesn't have deep enough pockets to do major content deals and ends up with low grade content on their platform. The way this is going, the next gen Sony X10 will be more compelling with just the addition of Netflix 4K on top of their own Film and TV content offerings..

Think I'll be letting my preorder go just quietly. I don't need another 4K box with also ran content on it.

post #98 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
nanotech is now accepting pre orders for NP-1

Last edited by jjoboh; 06-27-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #99 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoboh View Post
nanotech is now accepting pre orders foe NP-1
What?? This thing still isn't out? I thought it was announced over a year ago?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #100 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What?? This thing still isn't out? I thought it was announced over a year ago?
apparently they did not want to release a half baked product
post #101 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
apparently they did not want to release a half baked product
or did not have a product to start. at announcement there website was full of mistakes there gamepad was a picture of an xbox 360 controller. Everything about it screamed cheap Chinese player. I am still not expecting much out of it but hoping for the best.
post #102 of 147 Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is this thing even real? It says its "out of stock"? Why is there no reviews yet?
post #103 of 147 Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXENTE View Post
Is this thing even real? It says its "out of stock"? Why is there no reviews yet?
they sold out pretty fast ,i wish someone could review it ,wonder why they did not offer one to avs for review
post #104 of 147 Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
they sold out pretty fast ,i wish someone could review it ,wonder why they did not offer one to avs for review
Below are reviews on the product from the company's website:

"Jason W
4/5
Works as depicted, loads fast, and is easy to hook up. I also have the TV tuner but works fine but my area has a small signal reach. I'm a developer so I'm looking forward to using my own android apps on it to interface with my home network.
14/07/2014

James Einhorn
5/5
The box is small, I believe the exact specification is 4'' x 4''. Very easily to hook up, just plug and play. Streams on my normal standard cable modem speeds without issue and the included content is great.
13/07/2014

Samsam
5/5
THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING. YOU SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING UNTIL YOU STREAM 4K.
13/07/2014

Andrew
5/5
Great product. Love 4k on my 65".
13/07/2014

Surinder
5/5
NP- 1 arrived this week and only took a few minutes to hook up to my 4K panel. Excited about all the apps but UltraFlix is what peaked my interest. Finally 4K content for my Seiki 65' UHD TV! I had tired of hearing "why did you buy a 4K TV ? There is no content". Well put that to rest. I have already watched 4K movies on UltraFlix. I had a question and called the tech line and Jim Rossi returned my call promptly (July 4th!). Not a tech person therefore unable to address that area. Needless to say, very pleased with the Nanotech NP-1.
10/07/2014"
post #105 of 147 Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Below are reviews on the product from the company's website:

"Jason W
4/5
Works as depicted, loads fast, and is easy to hook up. I also have the TV tuner but works fine but my area has a small signal reach. I'm a developer so I'm looking forward to using my own android apps on it to interface with my home network.
14/07/2014

James Einhorn
5/5
The box is small, I believe the exact specification is 4'' x 4''. Very easily to hook up, just plug and play. Streams on my normal standard cable modem speeds without issue and the included content is great.
13/07/2014

Samsam
5/5
THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING. YOU SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING UNTIL YOU STREAM 4K.
13/07/2014

Andrew
5/5
Great product. Love 4k on my 65".
13/07/2014

Surinder
5/5
NP- 1 arrived this week and only took a few minutes to hook up to my 4K panel. Excited about all the apps but UltraFlix is what peaked my interest. Finally 4K content for my Seiki 65' UHD TV! I had tired of hearing "why did you buy a 4K TV ? There is no content". Well put that to rest. I have already watched 4K movies on UltraFlix. I had a question and called the tech line and Jim Rossi returned my call promptly (July 4th!). Not a tech person therefore unable to address that area. Needless to say, very pleased with the Nanotech NP-1.
10/07/2014"

Don't know how inclined I am to take on board reviews published on Nanotech's own site as opposed to actual independent reviews.. Noticed now one who commented mentioned more specifically what the amazing 4K content they viewed on the 'Ultraflix' service consisted of.

Some real AVS user feedback would be far more useful. I'm certainly not leaping out of the gate for one as it stands.

post #106 of 147 Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Don't know how inclined I am to take on board reviews published on Nanotech's own site as opposed to actual independent reviews.. Noticed now one who commented mentioned more specifically what the amazing 4K content they viewed on the 'Ultraflix' service consisted of.

Some real AVS user feedback would be far more useful. I'm certainly not leaping out of the gate for one as it stands.
I received the NP1 yesterday. Using it on a sony xbr55x850a 4k tv.

I would take the reviews from The nuvola site half heartedly. This must be a "work in progress" device, as we might expect from such an unknown company.

First, the remote is such a piece of crap that it alone could tank the whole product. It isn't really a remote, but like an "air mouse". You have to use it to navigate a cursor and it is CLUMSY. My wrist was actually from just entering my email address.

The home screen has a Nuvola Startup Wizard in the top left, with icons along the bottom for some folders or apps (one of which goes to an app page for ultra flix, netflix, hulu plus, paramount, etc.)

Pressing the setup wizard asks for your name and email address, which is PAINFUL to enter with the air mouse. And then when you get through it and press DONE, the SAVE/UPDATE, the system tells you that unfortunately, nuvola startup wizard has stopped. The system will also not connect to wired Ethernet...when I go to settings and select TURN ON ETHERNET, I get a message: unfortunately Settings has stopped.

I am able to connect wifi. I am able to connect to netflix, enter my email, an play house of cards in 4k. Although I have to tell you, the picture does not blow me away. There is visible pixelization around text. It is very far from the best 4k I have seen. Maybe no good until hevc comes? FYI I have 100mb fiber internet in my house so bandwidth should not be an issue.
post #107 of 147 Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpduffy View Post

I would take the reviews from The nuvola site half heartedly. This must be a "work in progress" device, as we might expect from such an unknown company.

First, the remote is such a piece of crap that it alone could tank the whole product. It isn't really a remote, but like an "air mouse". You have to use it to navigate a cursor and it is CLUMSY. My wrist was actually from just entering my email address.

The home screen has a Nuvola Startup Wizard in the top left, with icons along the bottom for some folders or apps (one of which goes to an app page for ultra flix, netflix, hulu plus, paramount, etc.)

Pressing the setup wizard asks for your name and email address, which is PAINFUL to enter with the air mouse. And then when you get through it and press DONE, the SAVE/UPDATE, the system tells you that unfortunately, nuvola startup wizard has stopped. The system will also not connect to wired Ethernet...when I go to settings and select TURN ON ETHERNET, I get a message: unfortunately Settings has stopped.

I am able to connect wifi. I am able to connect to netflix, enter my email, an play house of cards in 4k. Although I have to tell you, the picture does not blow me away. There is visible pixelization around text. It is very far from the best 4k I have seen. Maybe no good until hevc comes? FYI I have 100mb fiber internet in my house so bandwidth should not be an issue.
are you able to stream other content like bluray iso ,mkv or play your own 4k content to/on the nuvola
post #108 of 147 Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
are you able to stream other content like bluray iso ,mkv or play your own 4k content to/on the nuvola
Can't really answer that as I don't have any personal 4k content. And I use kaleidescape for bluray playback. The NP1 UI is so clumsy that it is too frustrating to experiment much. Once I got it running, I really just used it for netflix House of Cards and Breaking Bad.
post #109 of 147 Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Can't really answer that as I don't have any personal 4k content. And I use kaleidescape for bluray playback. The NP1 UI is so clumsy that it is too frustrating to experiment much. Once I got it running, I really just used it for netflix House of Cards and Breaking Bad.
i wonder if it could use a jukebox UI like zappiti in dune players for better interaction,looks like it will need alot of updates to become "avs ready"
post #110 of 147 Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great insight into the reality of the NP-1 in real world use. Your experience with it kind of matches up with a lot of the talk going around about Nuvola generally - which has been rather interesting. I'm not terribly surprised the end product has ended up like you described. The only surprise I will say is that Nuvola actually managed to get the genuine Netflix 4K service on to the NP-1. I'm def keen to see how the FMP-X10 works out. I suspect thought it's Sony design will be a tad more polished and user friendly

post #111 of 147 Old 07-16-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Great insight into the reality of the NP-1 in real world use. Your experience with it kind of matches up with a lot of the talk going around about Nuvola generally - which has been rather interesting. I'm not terribly surprised the end product has ended up like you described. The only surprise I will say is that Nuvola actually managed to get the genuine Netflix 4K service on to the NP-1. I'm def keen to see how the FMP-X10 works out. I suspect thought it's Sony design will be a tad more polished and user friendly
The sony will definitely be more polished. However I think the compatibility with sony TVs only is a crock (and arguably illegal from what I've heard)
post #112 of 147 Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The sony will definitely be more polished. However I think the compatibility with sony TVs only is a crock (and arguably illegal from what I've heard)
That's more or less a given even based on the FMP-X1 first gen Sony. I was being a tad tongue in cheek when I said that. I agree re compatibility. Doesn't particularly worry me in particular though, only my 4K Samsung is out of the compatibility loop thought versus the 4 other Sony 4K display devices I've got at the moment.

post #113 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 0
NP-1 upscaling

Quote:
First post here on the avs forum. I noticed an error. The Nuvola NP-1 cannot stream 4K from Netflix. The Nuvola NP-1 can only decode AVC, not HEVC streams. Netflix only encodes in HEVC to conserve bitrates, save money etc. They produce nothing in AVC. What the original poster was seeing displayed on the Sony TV was upscaled content. So if the user was playing breaking bad from Netflix, it was upscaling regular content, not streaming 4K. That would also explain the grainy image around the text. Any upscaler is going to have this issue, in general.

I also have the NP-1. I'm on hardwired Ethernet and you don't even have to register your box, so the error is not a problem. You can pretty much do everything you want. The remote is cool. You just got to get used to it.

Last edited by halbaag; 07-20-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: additional details needed
post #114 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by halbaag View Post
First post here on the avs forum. I noticed an error. The Nuvola NP-1 cannot stream 4K from Netflix. The Nuvola NP-1 can only decode AVC, not HEVC streams. Netflix only encodes in HEVC to conserve bitrates, save money etc. They produce nothing in AVC. What the original poster was seeing displayed on the Sony TV was upscaled content. So if the user was playing breaking bad from Netflix, it was upscaling regular content, not streaming 4K. That would also explain the grainy image around the text. Any upscaler is going to have this issue, in general.

I also have the NP-1. I'm on hardwired Ethernet and you don't even have to register your box, so the error is not a problem. You can pretty much do everything you want. The remote is cool. You just got to get used to it.
How do you know this? Not sure I believe you.

NanoTech Announces 4K HEVC and VP9 Support for Nuvola NP-1 and NP-C Streaming 4K Ultra HD Media Players

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Support-Nuvola

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
Zotac GTX 970, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #115 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
How do you know this? Not sure I believe you.

NanoTech Announces 4K HEVC and VP9 Support for Nuvola NP-1 and NP-C Streaming 4K Ultra HD Media Players

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Support-Nuvola
A PR is just a PR. There is bits of truth laced in them and then hopes and dreams. On the final specs, they say it only decodes AVC. True they CAN support HEVC with TEGRA 4. In fact, I verified with Nvidia that TEGRA 4 has that capability assuming the HEVC decoder is present. They of course did not tell me the bitrate at which it can support HEVC at because that benchmark probably doesn't exist in publication. The NP-1 currently does not have the HEVC decoders installed. On their website they currently state that the NP-1/NP-C are HEVC upgradable.

I'm curious myself how well the NP-1 will perform in decoding HEVC streams, and whether it can handle the 16 Mbps required bitrate for Netflix 4K streaming. As of right now, it only streams 4K from Youtube and Ultraflix to my knowledge. Ultraflix has no intellectual content btw. I've watched it a bit. It's like where Netflix started out with hopes and dreams =) We'll see if that takes off or not.
post #116 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A PR is just a PR. There is bits of truth laced in them and then hopes and dreams. On the final specs, they say it only decodes AVC. True they CAN support HEVC with TEGRA 4. In fact, I verified with Nvidia that TEGRA 4 has that capability assuming the HEVC decoder is present. They of course did not tell me the bitrate at which it can support HEVC at because that benchmark probably doesn't exist in publication. The NP-1 currently does not have the HEVC decoders installed. On their website they currently state that the NP-1/NP-C are HEVC upgradable.

I'm curious myself how well the NP-1 will perform in decoding HEVC streams, and whether it can handle the 16 Mbps required bitrate for Netflix 4K streaming. As of right now, it only streams 4K from Youtube and Ultraflix to my knowledge. Ultraflix has no intellectual content btw. I've watched it a bit. It's like where Netflix started out with hopes and dreams =) We'll see if that takes off or not.
Dang. I though they were going to be released with that codec.
You get 10 free movies from UF then you have to pay per movie?
Does Android display in 2160?
Do you know what their return policy is? I couldn't find it. I am getting one. Might not keep it.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
post #117 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Dang. I though they were going to be released with that codec.
You get 10 free movies from UF then you have to pay per movie?
Does Android display in 2160?
Do you know what their return policy is? I couldn't find it. I am getting one. Might not keep it.
Ultraflix works by either paying a monthly fee or per movie is my understanding. Wait till they sign some of the major movie producers and get that kind of content (i.e. Sony, Warner Bros, Paramount, etc.). You get the first month free is my understanding. I don't know what the monthly fee is. I guess I'll look at that when it pops up. For now I just use it to play stuff like moving murals and fireplaces and such lol. It's fun in that regard..visually. At least everything loads almost instantaneously. I'm impressed by how fast Youtube/Netflix/XBMC/google play pop up..1 second maybe.

I'm not sure if the android OS interface displays in 2160. I would assume so. In the NP-1 user info panel, it has my TV pixels. I would assume it sizes to fit those automatically. It would be pretty sad if not. Nothing looks pixelated or anything.

There is a warranty link in the support icon. I think that you will go from there. My understanding is that if you are unsatisfied with the product, you will time within 1 year, to return the product. But this might be only if the product is defective. I hope this helps.
post #118 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ultraflix works by either paying a monthly fee or per movie is my understanding. Wait till they sign some of the major movie producers and get that kind of content (i.e. Sony, Warner Bros, Paramount, etc.). You get the first month free is my understanding. I don't know what the monthly fee is. I guess I'll look at that when it pops up. For now I just use it to play stuff like moving murals and fireplaces and such lol. It's fun in that regard..visually. At least everything loads almost instantaneously. I'm impressed by how fast Youtube/Netflix/XBMC/google play pop up..1 second maybe.

I'm not sure if the android OS interface displays in 2160. I would assume so. In the NP-1 user info panel, it has my TV pixels. I would assume it sizes to fit those automatically. It would be pretty sad if not. Nothing looks pixelated or anything.

There is a warranty link in the support icon. I think that you will go from there. My understanding is that if you are unsatisfied with the product, you will time within 1 year, to return the product. But this might be only if the product is defective. I hope this helps.
TYVM for the info!
One last question. Have you tried XBMC? That may be my primary use for this box.

post #119 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
TYVM for the info!
One last question. Have you tried XBMC? That may be my primary use for this box.

Yes. I was able to play the videos and TV apps just fine. I watched some news reports. I was able to also get music apps to work. I had some problems with a book reading app I downloaded (off the music section actually). I dunno if that is just the NP-1 or the app itself. I think for every 20 apps available, at least 2 were broken. But that could be XBMC itself. I'm not a big user of it.
post #120 of 147 Old 07-20-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good find re Netflix. I have to say I was skeptical to say the least regarding the NP-1 having access to Netflix 4K. Netflix have been pretty picky about who they allow to carry their 4K service. Given the lack of track record for Nuvola, I would have my doubts they'd have done a deal just yet for it.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
nuvola np-1 , Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page