Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Good find re Netflix. I have to say I was skeptical to say the least regarding the NP-1 having access to Netflix 4K. Netflix have been pretty picky about who they allow to carry their 4K service. Given the lack of track record for Nuvola, I would have my doubts they'd have done a deal just yet for it.
They are a new company, very clearly. And as a new company, they make new company mistakes. As a 1080p media player, it's solid. As a 4K streamer, it's a temporary solution, depending on how long AVC still dominates the scene. I think Netflix will push everyone to HEVC, even though they also admit that HEVC is actually not providing the encoding benefits researchers predicted. But they are still sticking with it. So whether the NP-1 will be able to decode HEVC at required 16 Mbps bitrates is the test which will determine if it will last on the market for any appreciable length of time. Either way, I have to give the Nuvola people credit for working towards a generic solution, whereas other 4k boxes are currently specific to a certain brand of TV. And of course, there are already some TVs out there with HEVC decoders built in, so there is that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm interested in using this device to load Plex onto it. I have several 4K movies that I have acquired that I would like to stream to my TV from my Plex Server. I have tried the built in DLNA server in my Sony TV (XBR55X900B) but it tells me that the content isn't supported.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfersd View Post
I'm interested in using this device to load Plex onto it. I have several 4K movies that I have acquired that I would like to stream to my TV from my Plex Server. I have tried the built in DLNA server in my Sony TV (XBR55X900B) but it tells me that the content isn't supported.
nanotech np-1 arrived today,fairly easy set up ,especially if you have set up a tv box like minix or google tv units
Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxman View Post
nanotech np-1 arrived today,fairly easy set up ,especially if you have set up a tv box like minix or google tv units
does it work with plex can you stream bluray folders/iso or 4k content from nas
Old 07-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I forgot when I ordered NP-1 that I can't plug it into my AVR and pass 4K. I'd have to plug directly into my TV. Which would only pass stereo back to AVR.
Going to try a HDMI matrix switcher so I can get HD audio. Just got it today. One HDM to TV, one to AVR for audio.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJFECDC/

It worked fine with an Amazon FireTV. But the FTV doesn't do HD audio. Just regular DTS and DD.
Audio didn't work at all with a WDTV live streamer. Might work with the NP-1. I hope. It won't be here until 28th. Shipped from San Jose, Calif. today.

Getting a new Denon x4100 AVR if they are ever released.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE's x 7, DefTech ProSub x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-980 ACX 2.0, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti, Asus AC-68 Router, 3 UPS's
Dell XPS 1820 18.4" AIO PC/Tablet
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I have an NP-1 but can't answer you on that. I posted it to the developers of the NP-1. I'll get back to you with their response.

Last edited by halbaag; 07-21-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
I forgot when I ordered NP-1 that I can't plug it into my AVR and pass 4K. I'd have to plug directly into my TV. Which would only pass stereo back to AVR.
Going to try a HDMI matrix switcher so I can get HD audio. Just got it today. One HDM to TV, one to AVR for audio.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJFECDC/

It worked fine with an Amazon FireTV. But the FTV doesn't do HD audio. Just regular DTS and DD.
Audio didn't work at all with a WDTV live streamer. Might work with the NP-1. I hope. It won't be here until 28th. Shipped from San Jose, Calif. today.

Getting a new Denon x4100 AVR if they are ever released.
The FireTV does DD+ which is an advanced audio codec like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA so it has the same requirements. Amazon streaming from the FireTV and NEtflix streaming both use DD+.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The FireTV does DD+ which is an advanced audio codec like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA so it has the same requirements. Amazon streaming from the FireTV and NEtflix streaming both use DD+.
I tried the matrix switcher on my Bluray player this morning. It does pass DTS MA when I select 7.1 on the EDID switch. But on Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track, AVR never showed TrueHD. It shows Multi Channel In with the EDID set to 7.1. When set to 5.1 it plays TruHD as DD. So I guess it works. I need to see if I have an 7.1 TrueHD Blurays.

The latest XBMC nightly's have HEVC support now.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE's x 7, DefTech ProSub x 2
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm still unclear if this device actually streams Netflix 4K or not. On the Sony X10, in the Netflix app, you get a whole row of specific UHD content. You can also check the info on the stream and verify if it is "2160" or not. Does Nuvola do all of this?

If it does, why aren't they promoting this fact on their website? I would have considered going with Nuvola over Sony as even with the pre-order discount Nuvola is much cheaper than Sony. Actually, with not having a HDMI output for audio, I still probably wouldn't have done Nuvola but bizarre they wouldn't promote the fact they offer it.

Matt
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
I'm still unclear if this device actually streams Netflix 4K or not. On the Sony X10, in the Netflix app, you get a whole row of specific UHD content. You can also check the info on the stream and verify if it is "2160" or not. Does Nuvola do all of this?

If it does, why aren't they promoting this fact on their website? I would have considered going with Nuvola over Sony as even with the pre-order discount Nuvola is much cheaper than Sony. Actually, with not having a HDMI output for audio, I still probably wouldn't have done Nuvola but bizarre they wouldn't promote the fact they offer it.
I sent them an email asking when HEVC will be supported. And if NF streams in 4K. I'll update when I get a reply.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I skimmed through the whole thread, but I missed the part where the myth of Netflix 4K streaming was debunked. The website says that they will support HEVC when it becomes available ("will be automatically updated with the latest H.265 (HEVC) codecs as they become available"). Well, its obviously available and has been for a while and the X10 has it and is shipping and working. They should be giving a definite date for implementation. I guess you could argue semantics and they really mean when THEY make the codec available.

Matt
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpduffy View Post
I received the NP1 yesterday. Using it on a sony xbr55x850a 4k tv.

I would take the reviews from The nuvola site half heartedly. This must be a "work in progress" device, as we might expect from such an unknown company.

First, the remote is such a piece of crap that it alone could tank the whole product. It isn't really a remote, but like an "air mouse". You have to use it to navigate a cursor and it is CLUMSY. My wrist was actually from just entering my email address.

The home screen has a Nuvola Startup Wizard in the top left, with icons along the bottom for some folders or apps (one of which goes to an app page for ultra flix, netflix, hulu plus, paramount, etc.)

Pressing the setup wizard asks for your name and email address, which is PAINFUL to enter with the air mouse. And then when you get through it and press DONE, the SAVE/UPDATE, the system tells you that unfortunately, nuvola startup wizard has stopped. The system will also not connect to wired Ethernet...when I go to settings and select TURN ON ETHERNET, I get a message: unfortunately Settings has stopped.

I am able to connect wifi. I am able to connect to netflix, enter my email, an play house of cards in 4k. Although I have to tell you, the picture does not blow me away. There is visible pixelization around text. It is very far from the best 4k I have seen. Maybe no good until hevc comes? FYI I have 100mb fiber internet in my house so bandwidth should not be an issue.
First post on AVS. I followed a link from ihub to here and started reading and decided to sign up and comment.
I too received the Nuvola NP-1 last week and can say that I like it quite a bit and appreciate the air mouse.
Having a ROKU 3 and going through the tedious process of typing on it just doesn't get it. The air mouse really helps to speed things up although it can be a nuisance when watching something and you are holding the air mouse and you see the cursor arrow moving on the screen with the slightest of hand movements. Fortunately, there is a button on the air mouse remote which disables the cursor arrow and causes it to disappear and reappear when you press the specific button again.

I also had bought a couple of Mele RF-10 Bluetooth Remotes with Keyboard on one side and it works great with the Nuvola NP-1.
Because there are some apps like "Big Star Movies" which require registration I found that there registration screen after entering an email address and password it's unable to move to the bottom of the screen for the save or next option and I was unable to drag the screen down or hit an "Enter" option to finish out the registration and there is no "Enter" button on the Nuvola remote. The "OK" button isn't the equivalent at least not with that registration. There may be a combination of buttons that equals an "Enter" button but I haven't learned of it should it exist.
The alternative is to either have a remote with a ENTER key or register via a computer and come back and logon through the Nuvola NP-1 and the App.

As for the visual quality...unfortunately, I'm only hooked up to a 1080p HDTV and cannot speak to the 4K aspects.
It streams 1080p fine using either my AT&T 6.5 Mbps (download) connection and my Comcast 20 Mbps (download) connection and the picture on my HDTV is pretty good.

I too was able to run and install some Repo's or plugins for XBMC and expect to install Plex as soon as I get my unit back from the couple I loaned it to, which isn't going to be easy because they like it so much.

I like the Home button on the remote which will take you back to the main screen at anytime from anywhere.

Hope to be posting more again soon! Nice forum you have going here.

Last edited by halkirk; 07-22-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Hi All,
I just got my NP-1 yesterday as well. Unfortunately i only have a 1080p TV, so no 4k review for you guys today. My internet is also 100/5mbit. My source content was, Streaming services such as netflix and the 4k streamer. Cloud applications, such as Bitcasa, and local media from my NAS in various forms of .ISO and h264 encodes.
Hardware is Samsung UN55B8500 and a Pionner elite VSX-53

First off, yes the Air mouse does take a little bit to get use to. However i can not imagine trying to use this interface without one. It does save a lot of time when entering information. A blue tooth keyboard is a great suggestion.

1. Video Quality.
They have four media players on this box. ES file, MX video, XBMC and one other one.
So far all of the video's that i have thrown at it have looked pretty good. I tried a .ISO bluray of the avengers which played (Through XBMC, but not the others) and looked great. I also tested a few other .MKV/H264 encodes i had to see how they looked and they all looked great through all of the media players. I tested several of the streaming services which also looked good. Netflix, the 4k streaming one that they had.

I also saw that the ES File player had a cloud option, which i was able to link my bitcasa account. I was able to also stream a 1080p/DTS audio (about 16gb file) from the cloud to the player without issue. I did run into some issues with the persistancy of the cloud connection. When i left my bitcasca folder and went off to do other things and came back to it an hour later it still had cached info from what it looked like, but it wasn't able to access anything. A close and reopen of the app worked fine.

XBMC is slick. I did have an issue of playback of American Ninja warrior's. For whatever reason they where incredibly choppy. They played fine on the stock media players.

2. Audio.
I've been having audio issues through XBMC. It won't detect that i have a DTS capable receiver, so it only sends 2 channel PCM and if I try to pass-through i get loud static. I opened a case to see if i can get this fixed some how. DTS Audio passes through fine through the other media players. [http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...21#pid1757121] so we will see.

I haven't been able to test DTS-HD audio yet, because my reference audio is in the .ISO format, which the native media player doesn't support.

I also had issues with the power button turning it off. And then when i tried to turn it back on i got a blank screen so i had to hard reboot it.

I didn't see a Plex app that was "supported" for this, so i don't know how i can get that on there. I'll have to look into it a bit more tonight.

The UI feels just like an android tablet. So it's def has a lot of things going for it, it just needs some more polish, and obviously to fix the audio pass-through issue
Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM

Hi Halbaag,
Can you tell me the difference between the MOJO and the NP-1? It appears the MOJO is the same device only 1/2 the price.
Thank you :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbaag View Post
They are a new company, very clearly. And as a new company, they make new company mistakes. As a 1080p media player, it's solid. As a 4K streamer, it's a temporary solution, depending on how long AVC still dominates the scene.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I should have noted that I tested the FTV by using XBMC which adds DTS.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The specs of the box say hdmi 1.4. To stream netflix don't you need
1)HEVC
2) hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2

Other than the internal tv upscaling don't think that box can stream native 4k from netflix
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
The specs of the box say hdmi 1.4. To stream netflix don't you need
1)HEVC
2) hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2

Other than the internal tv upscaling don't think that box can stream native 4k from netflix
To stream Netflix UHD programming you only need HEVC. HDMI 2.0 is required for 2160p/60Hz. HDMI 1.4 will only do 2160p/60Hz if the color depth is reduced:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8191/n...upport-kind-of
Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Nuvola never answered my emails. Fail!

It can't do HD Audio from XBMC. Current limitation of Android.
Anyone know what apps stream Dolby True and DTS HD on this device? They are listed on the box.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Some discussion of this issue is listed here:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...-uhd-streamer/

On the google play store, it says the device is not compatible with the Plex app. So it was stated that, "Standard procedure for trying apps that the Play Store says can't be installed on your device is to sideload with adb. Download it with another device, pull it off, and adb install it. If you're not familiar with adb, or sideloading apps, google it."

I haven't tried it yet. But I have enabled myself as a developer on the Nuvola. Seems like it should be possible to get the app on there.

Last edited by halbaag; 08-02-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, has anyone noticed any new content on Ultraflix? I've had the box for a couple of weeks and haven't seen anything new.
I'm still waiting and there seems to have been no update to HEVC 265 or any way to stream Youtube in 4K despite having the proper codecs for it.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4K View Post
So, has anyone noticed any new content on Ultraflix? I've had the box for a couple of weeks and haven't seen anything new.
I'm still waiting and there seems to have been no update to HEVC 265 or any way to stream Youtube in 4K despite having the proper codecs for it.
Found this:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nan...ork-2014-07-25

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201408083...#axzz39o98ARni
Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I didn't hear about the second one but its something to look forward to. i just wish they would update the box already. Aside from that, it was a good purchase.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4K View Post
You're really waiting for the next-gen product. Nuvola said they were going to roll out VP9/HEVC decoding through a third-party video codec but that hasn't happened. I'd say they will roll it out next year or during the holiday season, if they are in fact following through on that announcement.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
You're really waiting for the next-gen product. Nuvola said they were going to roll out VP9/HEVC decoding through a third-party video codec but that hasn't happened. I'd say they will roll it out next year or during the holiday season, if they are in fact following through on that announcement.
Uh, no. Their web page specifically states differently. They commit to providing new codecs as they were released, which at the very least should include 4K Netflix support, since that was out well before this box was available.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what specific codec has to wait for next-gen. Honestly, I find it hard to keep it all straight.

Matt
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Uh, no. Their web page specifically states differently. They commit to providing new codecs as they were released, which at the very least should include 4K Netflix support, since that was out well before this box was available.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what specific codec has to wait for next-gen. Honestly, I find it hard to keep it all straight.
Neither VP9 nor HEVC has "been released". Both are in the later stages of development leading to a wide roll-out in 2015 followed by several years of refinement, but HEVC just happens to be slightly ahead of VP9 in that there are a few hardware decoders available and they were finalized around the time that VP9 was put forth by Google for companies to incorporate into the next-gen decoders. Nuvola has reportedly licensed a third-party software video decoder from Ittiam for HEVC and VP9 decoding but I haven't seen any information that confirms they have actually put out an update to bring that to their products. Netflix 4K streaming is currently not open for anyone outside of a few Netflix hardware partners who use powerful dedicated ASICS for decoding high-bitrate HEVC streams, so don't expect it to arrive on the current Nuvola platform until you actually see it with your own eyes. Next year's release of Intel and Nvidia hardware will bring HEVC decoding for 4K Netflix, so look for it later in the year.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony is adding the UltraFlix Network to its 2014 TVs:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-into-uhd-tvs/
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member