Purchase for parents? No internet but want XBMC type experience with local files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I have a pretty sweet HTPC running XBMC and everyone that comes by LOVES the poster, info, fanart.....etc Especially my parents.It is a great way to experience a Home Theater. Anyone using XBMC knows how good just all the extra eye candy improves the whole experience.

My parents do not have internet and won't be getting it. They have no use for it really. I will however be loading the hard drive (3TB) with anything I have that they want and whatever new files I get.

So my question....I need an "inexpensive" way to give them that XBMC experience also. No HTPC and I don't want to build one either. It has to be simple and can be controlled via a remote control. Anything more involved than that just won't work.

Looking for a Set-Top box type setup. It will ONLY be used to watch files from a Local external drive. Most files are 720P and lower and any 1080p/Blu Ray content will be played directly from a Blu Ray player. Ideally....turn the unit on and it goes directly to XBMC and everything can be selected thru the remote control.

XBMC is certaintly not an absolute must but if there are other systems that give the same type of media interaction (posters, info, fanart) I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't think you will find what you want. Perhaps the easiest option would just be to get one of the Western Digital players. Those are an inexpensive players. Even then without Internet how do you expect the player to get the information to categorize the media?

Philip
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I don't think you will find what you want. Perhaps the easiest option would just be to get one of the Western Digital players. Those are an inexpensive players. Even then without Internet how do you expect the player to get the information to categorize the media?

Philip

If I find the right device and it uses XBMC then they won't need internet to categorize media because all the posters and fanart will already be in the file folders that I load on it. For posters I use folder.jpg and fanart I use fanart.jpg

XBMC will recognize those so no internet needed.

Do the Western Digital players also use the posters and fanart like the XBMC program???
post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Pivos XIOS DS, runs XBMC! Get the firmware here, all models currently sold are M3 models so get that firmware.

Use the confluence customize mod skin to remove all the unwanted extras of XBMC like music, add-ons, programs from the UI, you can whittle it down to just videos and/or movie/tv show library.

You will need a micro SD card (format it to FAT32) up to 64GB are supported & recommend if you have a large library as XBMC caches all the data to it, create a folder called xbmc-data on the root of the micro SD card and your good to go.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'm gonna look into that Pivos.

Any other suggestions?????
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Hd Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version