problems streaming over wifi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. I have some video files on my computer hard drive that I have been streaming across my wireless network to my three TV’s all over the house. until now it mostly has been working fine, recently I started adding more files and have run into the problem the various streaming devises won’t see everything over the network. I have the files in one folder and shared from the computer through the home group- read and write. I know the devices will read the media formats. Mostly avi with some mkv and mp4. I can take a thumb drive and my blue ray players will play them fine over that. But streaming, they all won’t see all the files; I am missing large portions of my library.
Wireless network with a Linksys N router connected to the main computer; running windows 7

TV #1 samsung 46” 1080p lcd
Blu-ray play is handling streaming Samsung BDD5700 with built in wireless

TV #2 Samsung 55” 1080p LED
Black newer model Xbox 360 doing streaming or Wiiu for Netflix

TV #3 Vizio 32” LED with built in wifi

What can I do to get all my devices to see my entire library and to ensure they are all working properly. My Vizio can see the most files but on some it says it has unreadable codec’s

TV #1 I don’t think it will stream any mp4 but it will play them fine if I plug a thumb drive into it?? And have some AVI files that I would like to play for my son but it won’t see those?? But will see other AVI files???mad.gif
Please help me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Your first problem is wireless. Your second problem could be that your devices have a file limit.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Use Serviio or Mezzmo as your DLNA media server, Mezzmo is best if willing to pay for it.
1) Supports allmost all media types.
2) DLNA works best for wireless.
3) Built in video transcoding so can convert when device does not support media.

Most devices do not support Homegroups (SMB windows networking) and even if they do SMB is not good for wireless, lastly you were probably using WMP12 DLNA server which has limited media support, for example it does not work with mkv.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltain View Post

I know the devices will read the media formats. Mostly avi with some mkv and mp4. I can take a thumb drive and my blue ray players will play them fine over that. But streaming, they all won’t see all the files...
...My Vizio can see the most files but on some it says it has unreadable codec’s

TV #1 I don’t think it will stream any mp4 but it will play them fine if I plug a thumb drive into it?? And have some AVI files that I would like to play for my son but it won’t see those?? But will see other AVI files???mad.gif
Please help me!!
How do you know that all your devices can read all the media formats you require when streaming over the network?

If your test for this was to see if a video file can be read via USB and assume the same file can be read by network streaming, then unfortunately this may not be the case. Most if not all media playing devices don't support the exact same set of media file types for their USB ports that they do when network streaming. Most devices will then simply not display the file type it does not support for a particular playing mode.

If your test was also/instead that a different video of the same file type of one that worked before should also work, then unfortunately this too may not be true. The avi, mkv & mp4 file types you mention are actually container files for different sets of video formats, each format requiring a different codec in order for it to be played. So one avi file can easily contain a different video format to another avi file, for example. Unfortunately most playback devices don't support all the possible video formats a particular file type can contain. Some of these devices may well display the file for playback, but fail when it does not have the codec to play the contained video format, with errors like 'unsupported video format' or 'unreadable codec'. Other devices are a bit more 'intelligent' and 'spookily' display only the files that contain a video format it recognises, resulting in the rather confusing situation of possibly not displaying ALL the files of the same type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltain View Post

What can I do to get all my devices to see my entire library and to ensure they are all working properly.
Unfortunately, this will require quite a bit of research as to what the actual sets of video file types and formats your devices support when network streaming. Hopefully, you are using a UPnP/DLNA media server to stream the files and also this server has the ability to be set up to transcode (convert while playing) those file types your devices don't support into the ones they do. You may get lucky with someone already having done this work for you, by providing a specific (transcoding) media server profile for each of your devices or be able to use a profile designed for a different device that works with yours. Otherwise, you'll have to use video converting software to convert the files you can't play when network streaming into a format you devices can play.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
New Samsung Blu Ray Disc Player Bdd5700 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page