Xbox for streaming Netflix and Vudu- Really? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I just went through the cumbersome process of creating an MS account, downloading apps like netflix and vudu, only to realize I would have to spend 70.00 a year to simply access netfilx. To access Vudu, while it seems to be free, is still a PITA. I may add I did all this through the iPad xbox app.

You have to be kidding me. People really deal with this to watch media? Or am I missing something?

I have first addition WD streaming boxes and I thought they were a bit slow and inconvenient....... holy sh*t the xbox is a total joke it seems.

Ya... I'm a little worked up after spending 30 minutes setting things up, with the iPad app, only to find out I'd have to pay for Netflix access on top of the Netfilx fees. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yup it surprises me too that MS gets away with it, access to those services are free on every other platform

MS clearly has enough suckers out there will to part with money. The Xbox platform in general is terrible and best avoided.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63

As much as I hate MS for putting Netflix access behind their Gold pay wall, the Gold subscription was originally for the online games and other stuff they offered. You're not subscribing to gold for NF, but the other stuff MS is selling.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Yup it surprises me too that MS gets away with it, access to those services are free on every other platform

MS clearly has enough suckers out there will to part with money. The Xbox platform in general is terrible and best avoided.

Good, it's not just me. I'll chalk it up to gaming only device.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We have the xbox for our daughter. In my attempt to figure out the best options I thought I'd give it a shot. People who do use it as a streamer must be patient. I was about ready to break it in a very destructive way.

I don't understand why the WD Live has everything but DTS HD. The Popcorn a-400 has everything but the online streamers (netfilx, vudu, etc)

The oppo 103 has them all, but it also has a lot I don't need and don't want to pay for. The Pioneer 62fd has it all but no vudu. I mean really..... it's quite frustrating. All I'm after is a blu ray player and a box that streams my movies from NAS or attached hard drives. Either on, the blu ray player or media device, needs to have the main online streaming services. It seems every combination of the two is lacking something. mad.gif

post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

We have the xbox for our daughter. In my attempt to figure out the best options I thought I'd give it a shot. People who do use it as a streamer must be patient.

I don't understand why the WD Live has everything but DTS HD.

The oppo 103 has them all, but it also has a lot I don't need and don't want to pay for. The Pioneer 62fd has it all but no vudu. I mean really..... it's quite frustrating. All I'm after is a blu ray player and a box that streams my movies from NAS or attached hard drives.
Game consoles -- why do people continue to try and use these things as streamers. They are made for playing games.

The current version WD Live-SMP will bitstream DTS and Dolby TrueHD but not DTS-HD -- it's a license thing, nothing more. If you can live without DTS-HD, then the Live-SMP offers excellent stable playback and a good selection of on-line streaming sites. If you must have HD audio then one of the more expensive streamers is in order along with a RoKu for the on-line stuff.

I think you will find in general that BD disk players make for terrible streamers. They are limited to being DLNA clients and the client implementation is usually crappy which serves to give DLNA a bad rap. On top of that, all newer disk players, licensed after 2/12, support Cinavia so they won't stream any Cinavia protected content regardless of file type -- that includes all Sony BD titles from the last couple years. Buy and use a BD disk player for its intended use -- playing disks.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The oppo 103 has them all, but it also has a lot I don't need and don't want to pay for. The Pioneer 62fd has it all but no vudu. I mean really..... it's quite frustrating. All I'm after is a blu ray player and a box that streams my movies from NAS or attached hard drives. Either on, the blu ray player or media device, needs to have the main online streaming services. It seems every combination of the two is lacking something.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63

It seems we'll never get that ''one box that rules them all''....frown.gif

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya, it does. But at this point I can't even find two.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page