Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried following to access media

1. Exposed a drive as NAS on one of the Dune player and tried to access from other Dune. I see stuttering.
2. Connected Hard drive to Belkin route (bought more than 1 and 1/2 year back) and I see stuttering

I thought it is problem with my network. However, when I connected hard disk to laptop and shared folder and so far I dont' see any stuttering. Is it really factor on the device that is sharing a drive as SMB? Do you think buying new router can improve streamign better?

If I buy Synolgy 1812 bay and connect exteranal drives, do I see problem like stuttering?

I am trying to understand how streaming speed depends on network and device that is streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
1. streaming from a dune can be difficult due to the limited 100mbps speed which is in fact lower in real life. Might work for SD, but no surprise if it stutters for HD. 100mbps is not a problem when you stream TO the dune because of the very good buffering job it does.
2. belkin is really not well known to be a good network brand. so it doesn't mean anything.

if you can stream perfectly from your PC to the dune, then your network speed and hardware is OK and using a NAS will give you the same (if not better) result.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page