Need a simple/basic streaming solution. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile and decided the time was right to post my questions/comments.

I have 2 Vizio M3D421SR TV's that I bought on black Friday 2011.
They are internet/wireless 802.11n TV's with the VIA apps.
I have tried several of the streaming software packages out there including, PS3 media server, Universal media server, Xbox media server (XBMC), and Windows media server with sharing turned on and all virus/firewalls disabled.

None of the attempts have been successful in making a connection from my server to the TV's media widget.

According to Vizio live chat, the TV's are DLNA compliant but will not stream from an external server. However they will stream from a USB drive connected to one of the USB ports on the TV. (this does work since I have tried it)

I'm reasonably sure I'm going to have to use an external streaming renderer box such as a Roku, WDTV, Ect.... connected to one of the HDMI ports.
(unless someone knows of a way to make this model of Vizio recognize an external server)

I am not really concerned with having the best resolution since everything I watch is SD quality anyway.

Since I'm not streaming HDTV, I figure a wireless connection should suffice. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

What would be some suggestions for reasonably priced wireless streaming boxes that could access a 1TB hard drive connected to the USB port on my router. (NAS)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'd opt for a WD SMP, either new or refurb at about 50% off. The Wds I have will play just about anything I through at them and smile doing it. Wireless "should" work for SD but YMMV....
post #3 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Chastain View Post

I have tried several of the streaming software packages out there including, PS3 media server, Universal media server, Xbox media server (XBMC), and Windows media server with sharing turned on and all virus/firewalls disabled.

None of the attempts have been successful in making a connection from my server to the TV's media widget.

According to Vizio live chat, the TV's are DLNA compliant but will not stream from an external server.
Not sure what advice you were given by Vizio live chat, but if your TVs are DLNA compliant then bare minimum there should be a TV menu option to search for & select the DLNA servers for TVs to connect to. If this option is available, then they should be able to pick up the DLNA servers automatically, so long as both the TVs and the DLNA servers are properly installed & connected to your network. It may be worth posting your DLNA questions on the official Vizio 3D TV thread, see:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1375713/official-vizio-m3d420sr-m3d460sr-passive-3d-owners-thread/180

Quote:

However they will stream from a USB drive connected to one of the USB ports on the TV. (this does work since I have tried it)

I'm reasonably sure I'm going to have to use an external streaming renderer box such as a Roku, WDTV, Ect.... connected to one of the HDMI ports.
(unless someone knows of a way to make this model of Vizio recognize an external server)

I am not really concerned with having the best resolution since everything I watch is SD quality anyway.

Since I'm not streaming HDTV, I figure a wireless connection should suffice. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

What would be some suggestions for reasonably priced wireless streaming boxes that could access a 1TB hard drive connected to the USB port on my router. (NAS)
There is an alternative to using a standard media streamer box that will play networked video files to your TV's HDMI inputs, so long as you are certain that the TVs support all the video file formats that you require to be played via the USB ports and you still wish to use wireless to stream. You can get network storage access via your TVs USB ports REMOTELY, by using Canadian company HSTI's wireless media stick. It allows shared folders on the network appear as folders belonging to a drive with a FAT32 formatted partition attached to the USB port. The only potential problems are that the USB device connects to the network wirelessly and access to any potential network share is governed by the restrictions of the FAT32 filing system (eg the video file must be no bigger than 4GB, etc) plus a maximum pseudo partition size of 1TB. See info from the HSTI website:
http://hsti.com/products/wirelessmediastick
It provides a simple way for devices to see shared network folders if they can't already do so, for when you need access to your networked data other than via a DLNA server. You need a pc (only) to set up the HSTI stick to connect to your network in the first place and it assumes that your router is capable of producing standard network Windows / SAMBA shared folders from the data on the HDD connected to its USB port.
Rod Chastain likes this.
post #4 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! This is what I have been thinking of all along but didn't know what to search for. Basically A wireless USB stick that can access my NAS. I KNEW there had to be something like this out there. Hopefully, weeks of banging my head against the wall are over :-)

I just need to verify with the company how long it is. There isn't much room in the cutout area of the TV's case. A Sandisk cruzer USB drive will not fit well in the space provided so I might have to use a USB extension cable or a USB right angle adapter to make it fit.

And Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. smile.gif

Again....MANY thanks,smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif
Rod

Just placed an order for 2 of them! Looks great!!
post #5 of 21 Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

See info from the HSTI website:
http://hsti.com/products/wirelessmediastick

Android HDMI TV media sticks are still only in the novelty stage and can not be relied upon. Even the latest quad core RK3188 sucks at streaming.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 AM

Please, please, please READ carefully before you write. It's not an HDMI TV media stick. It's actually a wireless SAMBA client appearing as a USB mass storage device.

So again please READ and perhaps do a bit of research - the product is certainly not at the novelty stage. It's been going for at least 2 years. If anything, there's a danger of it now becoming redundantant, with manufacturers of 'smart' devices also getting their act together in sorting out the early problems of supporting UPnP/DLNA and media file streaming in general.
Rod Chastain likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:

I just need to verify with the company how long it is. There isn't much room in the cutout area of the TV's case. A Sandisk cruzer USB drive will not fit well in the space provided so I might have to use a USB extension cable or a USB right angle adapter to make it fit.

And Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. smile.gif

Again....MANY thanks,smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif
Rod

Just placed an order for 2 of them! Looks great!!
I've noticed you've edited your post to mention you've already placed an order for the media sticks, but just in case you still don't know the dimensions, all that info (and more) is in this review of it on the reviewhorizon website:
http://reviewhorizon.com/2012/09/hsti-wireless-media-stick-review-model-wms186u02/
Rod Chastain likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've noticed you've edited your post to mention you've already placed an order for the media sticks, but just in case you still don't know the dimensions, all that info (and more) is in this review of it on the reviewhorizon website:
http://reviewhorizon.com/2012/09/hsti-wireless-media-stick-review-model-wms186u02/

Yep. I checked the physical size and they probably won't fit in the space provided but I just remembered I have some 3' USB M-F extension cables that should solve that problem. As soon as I realized how they worked I placed an order. Just what I was looking for. :-)
post #9 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 AM

Hopefully it all goes well, especially with it being wireless streaming video, though the device & your TVs are wireless 'N' (and hopefully your router too), so you should get best possible speed. Please keep us posted.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hopefully it all goes well, especially with it being wireless streaming video, though the device & your TVs are wireless 'N' (and hopefully your router too), so you should get best possible speed. Please keep us posted.

Yep, everything is 802.11n so it should stream SD quality. Got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for luck. :-) Hope they get here soon.

Vizio did tell me my M3D421SR TV's are DLNA compliant but will not work with an external server. I think Vizio needs to re-train on what "DLNA compliant" is. :-)

I will post when I get them and have it up and running.

Rod
post #11 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm getting a bit concerned. I have never received a confirmation of my order from HSTI and all of my emails have gone unanswered. I have my Paypal payment confirmation email but absolutely NO contact with HSTI. Would you have a phone number for them? They only list a fax number and email address on their site.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm getting a bit concerned. I have never received a confirmation of my order from HSTI and all of my emails have gone unanswered. I have my Paypal payment confirmation email but absolutely NO contact with HSTI. Would you have a phone number for them? They only list a fax number and email address on their site.

3016 19 St Ne Suite 218
T2E 6Y9 Calgary
Alberta Canada
Phone: (403) 250-8049
post #13 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Hi Rod,

Certainly not the 'news' I was expecting.
I did a quick search on Canadian local search sites and found the same number given by Stephen Ash:
from weblocal.ca - http://www.weblocal.ca/home-server-technologies-inc-calgary-ab.html)

The number is also on the ship to section of their T&C page, BTW (though it's not clear it's for phone calls):
http://hsti.com/terms-conditions
and also on their customer's login server:
http://hsti.rmaportal.com/Contact-Us/

I obtained my stick a few months ago via Amazon from a third party seller, rather than direct from HSTI, as it meant I got a better deal from the German seller via Amazon, taking the cost of shipping into account (I'm based in the UK). The fact that their main site is still up, customer login access still works and my stick's web software can still access their servers for online help, search for latest firmware update, etc, is a good sign, though it's not definitive proof that all's well with HSTI, of course. The good news is you paid via Paypal so you'll get your money back eventually if the worse comes to the worst, but hopefully it won't come to that and you get your sticks soon!

Best of luck
John
post #14 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Rod,

Certainly not the 'news' I was expecting.
I did a quick search on Canadian local search sites and found the same number given by Stephen Ash:
from weblocal.ca - http://www.weblocal.ca/home-server-technologies-inc-calgary-ab.html)

The number is also on the ship to section of their T&C page, BTW (though it's not clear it's for phone calls):
http://hsti.com/terms-conditions
and also on their customer's login server:
http://hsti.rmaportal.com/Contact-Us/

I obtained my stick a few months ago via Amazon from a third party seller, rather than direct from HSTI, as it meant I got a better deal from the German seller via Amazon, taking the cost of shipping into account (I'm based in the UK). The fact that their main site is still up, customer login access still works and my stick's web software can still access their servers for online help, search for latest firmware update, etc, is a good sign, though it's not definitive proof that all's well with HSTI, of course. The good news is you paid via Paypal so you'll get your money back eventually if the worse comes to the worst, but hopefully it won't come to that and you get your sticks soon!

Best of luck
John

I finally found that voice number but when I call it says the number has been disconnected. I guess time will tell.
I have sent 4 emails to all of the email addy's I can find..."Order", "Support", "Information", "Sales".... Hopefully it's just some kind of glitch.

Thanks for the help.
Rod
post #15 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Heyyyyyy, I just got a reply!! They said they were out of stock for a few days but my order was shipped on the 26'th. It was just strange that I was getting no reply from anyone. Now the waiting for snail mail to get here :-)
post #16 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Ok, that's hopeful.

Just in case you need to investigate further, I've found some contact info for a law firm that should be located in the same building & quite close to HSTI, in suite 220:
Ratcliffe, R. Brickard, & Associates.
Phone: 403-250-5444. Email: brick@ratcliffelaw.ca

You could ask them to check if HSTI really are there & possibly get a contact phone number.

John
post #17 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, that's hopeful.

Just in case you need to investigate further, I've found some contact info for a law firm that should be located in the same building & quite close to HSTI, in suite 220:
Ratcliffe, R. Brickard, & Associates.
Phone: 403-250-5444. Email: brick@ratcliffelaw.ca

You could ask them to check if HSTI really are there & possibly get a contact phone number.

John

Thanks John....The tracking number shows it's in the USA now, but I will keep your info just in case.

Rod
post #18 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The PlayPoint app skilfully extracted from a Vizio Co-Star just transformed my Sony Google TV NSZ-GS7 from a so so device into a great device now supporting content media streaming. See the Sony Google TV Thread.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I received another email stating that they had recently moved and apologized for not changing their phone number on the e-store.
I was hoping it was just some kind of glitch.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am an underwater videographer and have been shooting professionally for the last 30 years as well as writing reviews and articles on the Final Cut based websites and some magazines. However, I have no experience either with PCs or streaming. A club owner recently asked me whether I would film and edit some of the bands and crowds that play there. That part is easy, however, she also wants to stream the acts and is using a PC which leaves me in a conundrum. Can streaming be done at 29.97 fps or will I have to lower that? What is the suggested frame size to use for such a thing. Is there software that I can use on my Macbook Pro as opposed to her PC laptop?
Thanks for any info and help
Steve
post #21 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I received my drives from HSTI a few days ago but haven't' tried much yet due to being sick since they arrived. mad.gif
They do work but seem to be a little intermittent while connecting to the TV's media widget.
The few videos I have tried worked flawlessly. It may just be a matter of me not understanding or doing something wrong so no final verdict yet.
When I get some time I will do some REAL testing and post the results.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Vizio M3d421sr 42 Inch Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page