I'm trying to find a home theater setup that will satisfy the following requirements.
- user-friendly interface so my non-tech-savvy Mom can use
- 1080p Netflix support (that's user-friendly, unlike the hacks required in XBMC)
- smooth playback of local media, 1080p x264 MKV videos in 10bit aka Hi10P (now commonly used by anime fansubbers)
- support Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio at least
- playback of files on a NAS (ex. Synology NAS)
I've been using a Boxee Box
for the past year and it's worked decently, except it does NOT support playback of 10bit videos, and it is slow (interface is lagging, seeking in videos is slow, etc.)
I've recently tried running XBMC on a ZOTAC ZBOX ID83
(Core i3 3120M 2.5GHz). Local media playback including 10bit anime worked great, but Netflix support seems lacking. Also, the ZBOX died on me after 2 months.
Any suggestions for what's the best setup for my requirements? It can be either a set top box that works out of the box, or a small form factor computer running some kind of media center software.
Thanks in advance for your help.