Streamer with best picture quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of today, what media streamer has the best picture quality? I know there's quite a bit of subjectivity in this question, but for example by and large the blu-ray crowd will say the Oppo BDP-10x offers reference quality video. Not everyone agrees, but there's objective data and seemingly majority consensus on the subject.

From reading reviews, I get the impression the A-400 and Dune HD are the front runners for picture quality. Has anyone seen Spears & Munsil benchmarks, or any other accepted test measurements? I specify "today" because I've never held faith in the idea that so and so will have a great player out in Q4 - that just never works out as planned.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 18
Here's some "front-runner" reviews:

Dune HDTV 303D

Dune HD Base 3D

Popcorn Hour A-400

Mede8er MED1000X3D

All of these models have great picture quality, with its own share of strengths and shortcomings. There is no "perfect" media player. I recommend you read these reviews, to best suit your needs.

I currently have the Dune HDTV 303D, because of the ease of use, value, great support of TV Show cataloging, and third-party software support.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for those - I don't suppose anybody makes a media streamer that has a "source direct" or "original resolution" mode? Then I could use outboard scalers to beef up the image the way I like it.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 136
OP- FWIW I spent several days researching media streamers that seemed to be the top choices. The most well rounded, full featured, most operational was the dune 3d/zapitti without a question. It also has one of, if not the best, track record.

PCH has issues, and its been out far too long IMO to have the issues its having.

I bought the dune zapitti in the end for backed up media and the Netgear Neo streamer box, 300sl i think is the model. The Netgear was the only box with official VUDU 3D support and Dolby Digital plus passthrough audio. It does'nt have Amazon but that's not much of a loss for me.

The.n for BluRay i got a simple Pioneer bdp150.

Depending on your AVR you might not even need to worry about media streamer picture quality. Does your AVR support good video upscaling?

Here's a thread of mine that might help. I rant a lot but get a lot figured out too.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478255/what-the-heck-is-it-impossible-to-get-the-best-bluray-nas-harddrive-playback-and-streaming-services-in-one-package/30

Good luck!

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox , Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page