Are Blu-Ray disks 720p or 1080p? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all

Very sorry for posting this here, but I really couldn't find a disk specific section I could post too, so was hoping this might be the best place as am ultimately looking to put disks to my NAS system so can stream, btw for any mods, please feel free to move to a proper section if there is one.

Anyway, have just gotten my older system switch over across the board to be able to watch things in 1080p. And as well setup a NAS system so I can network stream to all my TV's

An, for some of the other sources I have (Roku, Cable) am seeing real 1080p for the first time over 720 and even more 480 an know some say it's not that big of a deal, but at least on my system and for me, I feel it is and have even tried writing some of my regular DVDs to my NAS, and even more now, see how they are lacking.

Anyway, am now starting to look for some of my fav movies in Blu-Ray but in looking, it seems I see either they don't talk at all of what Res it is and/or just say Blu-Ray....or say 720p.

So what is the standard res for Blu-Ray movies you would buy...is it not 1080p?

Is it natively to the disk 720p and thats all that can be gotten? And then it just for most standard players if then hooked up to a system that can do 1080p, upscale even the Blue-Ray 720p to 1080p for the players output to get this?

Or are the disks themselves capable to do both it just all depends on what it's playing on?

Was hoping someone could explain more on this to me.

As mentioned, ultimate I want to swap over my movies to what ever can be a source to then put them to my NAS and watch them in 1080p

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post

Hello all

Very sorry for posting this here, but I really couldn't find a disk specific section I could post too, so was hoping this might be the best place as am ultimately looking to put disks to my NAS system so can stream, btw for any mods, please feel free to move to a proper section if there is one.

Anyway, have just gotten my older system switch over across the board to be able to watch things in 1080p. And as well setup a NAS system so I can network stream to all my TV's

An, for some of the other sources I have (Roku, Cable) am seeing real 1080p for the first time over 720 and even more 480 an know some say it's not that big of a deal, but at least on my system and for me, I feel it is and have even tried writing some of my regular DVDs to my NAS, and even more now, see how they are lacking.

Anyway, am now starting to look for some of my fav movies in Blu-Ray but in looking, it seems I see either they don't talk at all of what Res it is and/or just say Blu-Ray....or say 720p.

So what is the standard res for Blu-Ray movies you would buy...is it not 1080p?

Is it natively to the disk 720p and thats all that can be gotten? And then it just for most standard players if then hooked up to a system that can do 1080p, upscale even the Blue-Ray 720p to 1080p for the players output to get this?

Or are the disks themselves capable to do both it just all depends on what it's playing on?

Was hoping someone could explain more on this to me.

As mentioned, ultimate I want to swap over my movies to what ever can be a source to then put them to my NAS and watch them in 1080p

Thanks for any help.

http://us.blu-raydisc.com/faqs.php
post #3 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Actually have read that and it doesn't answer the question I posed.

For instance in number 2, states full 1080p but with asterisk, to which at bottom talks about all kinds of variables, but not in definite such as exactly what is needed to get 1080p.

Then for number 3, talks about that it can deliver up to 1080p, but does not say if its native 1080p or how specifically you go about getting that delivered.

So again and along then in considering the notes of #2, again is not answering the question I asked.

As I mentioned and is why I wrote all this and asked it in this section... I am looking to copy disks to my NAS. To which and is common for things such as the Roku which will be delivering it, it needs to be of a certain file type. So will be using a converter that converts it just as its native resolution. So if it 720 going in, it's going to be 720 coming out, then is going to be played at 720.

So would say if the disk is 720 and it's the equipment such as the Blu-Ray player that upscales it, then for me streaming from a networked hard drive right to a TV its going to play in 720 correct?

So not to be rude but perhaps someone else could just tell me what the standard native resolution for Blu-Ray is, with as well if there are any that are native 1080p....and if there are, how I can go about being sure I get that.

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Most are 1080p, especially movies and films. Some concert and other discs are 1080i. I think you can find 720p occassionally. But 95% of the time it will be 1080p.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply primetimeguy.

So from what you said and i know this is kinda just a guesstimate...but might it be that when I see a product listed as 720p, that is actually is done as that is not the norm, sorta to cover themselves like.

An that if I see just the listing of BluRay, more then likely as 1080p is its normal standard, that I would probably be getting that?

Thanks again.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
720p Vs 1080p , 1080p Vs 720p , Roku Streaming Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page