Question for those who use a PC as a media server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will a Windows 7 based PC come out of standby when a media player is looking for a stream? Or do I have to send it a WOL?

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post

Will a Windows 7 based PC come out of standby when a media player is looking for a stream? Or do I have to send it a WOL?

Coming out of standby is always a risky thing with a PC. I leave my server which runs Windows 7 24/7. Just works better that way. I have never had success with WOL.

And media player software will not wake it up anyway.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consulant
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I agree with Bob. My Media-PC runs 24x7 and I have Win-7 spin down the drives after 30 min of idle. It even spins down the external eSATA array.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I agree with Bob. My Media-PC runs 24x7 and I have Win-7 spin down the drives after 30 min of idle. It even spins down the external eSATA array.

I have been reading about "away mode" in Win 7. Is this what you are doing? I have Win 7 installed on this also and was told in a automation forum that "away mode" is all I need to allow streaming from a idle PC. I am unclear though if "away mode" is all Win 7 or does it have to be supported in the PC's hardware.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

I have been reading about "away mode" in Win 7. Is this what you are doing?
Sorry, I don't know anything about "away mode".
My Media-PC runs 24x7, fully awake. In Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced Settings there is an option to set an idle time to spin down the HDD's. I have that set to 30 min. I have two internal drives and four external drives attached by eSATA. Win-7 spins down any internal/external drive after 30 min of idle time and spins them back up one at a time as they are accessed.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right now I don't have one single movie on this server. I plan to start backing up on Friday. However, tonight I did enable "away mode". After I get a few movies backed up I will try to access it from a borrowed media player to see if it will stream from that state.
It is supposed to.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had success with wake on lan in the past (with XP), but you have to send the magic packet before it wakes. It won't wake when you just try to access it.

Alternatively, to save power you can schedule your pc to boot at certain times on a schedule you set in the bios (this should be an option on most motherboards), and schedule it to shut down automatically with the task scheduler. You'd have to manually boot outside of those times though.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now I don't have one single movie on this server. I plan to start backing up on Friday. However, tonight I did enable "away mode". After I get a few movies backed up I will try to access it from a borrowed media player to see if it will stream from that state.
It is supposed to.

I've been having so many other problems with the ripping process that I completely forgot to report back about "away mode". I can tell you that it does work. My Win 7 work station/ server wakes right up when my borrowed Western Digital media player looks for a file. The only down side is you have to initiate a request twice if waking it back up is required. At least that's what I have to do with this WD. It will quickly report that it's unavailable before the server is fully back to life. Not worried. That's something that can be overcome in automation programming.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Hd Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page