My new ASUS AC66U router and network!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
On Monday, Comcast will be coming over to install the 50 Mbps internet service. At the moment, I've got AT&T U-Verse 12 Mbps service, which is the fastest internet connection I can get. However, I do not get 12 Mbps consistently all the time eek.gif. Therefore, I decided to give Comcast a try.

I was going to buy the new Apple Airport Extreme for $199.99, but I decided to go with the ASUS AC66U instead for 3 reasons. 1) Best Buy did not have the new Apple Airport Extreme in stock. 2) I got the ASUS AC66U for $164 dollars after taxes. 3) It has awesome reviews, and it has one of the best wireless connection. Reason # 3, is the MAIN REASON why I went with this router as well since I want a router that has excellent range.

I will be testing this router with the following wired devices with Cat6 ethernet cable: Win 7 Desktop, UnRaid Server, XBOX 360, XBOX Slim, PS3 Slim (not the newest slim), Dune D1, Dune TV303D, and Pioneer SC-1522-K.

I will be testing thie router with the following wireless devices: iPad 2 (two of them), iPhone 4s (two of them), iPad 4, Win 7 laptop.

The specification for the ASUS AC66U can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/#specifications

Some picture of the ASUS AC66U can be seen here: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/#gallery

This is a diagram of my network:

photo GussNetwork_zps4f84dbe3.jpg

It should be noted: I am no super duper networking geek. Do not expect extensive and in depth testing. I am doing this threat for those of use who want a router with excellent wire / wireless connectivity. At the moment, the supplied AT&T 2Wire 3801 router support N wireless connection, but it isn't reliable and consistent. I will try to stream high bitrate BD movies wireless, however.

FOR OTHER ASUS ROUTER OWNERS, YOU ARE WELCOME TO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE, PICTURES, DIAGRAMS, IDEAS, ETC.

A more in depth review:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718951

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
GusGus,
Looking forward to your review. I am pretty sure you can have dual bands going at the same time so be sure to set up the 5Ghz for your iDevices that will use it. (although I think only the ipad 4 has 5Ghz, but I may be wrong)
Streaming high bit iso's...I am not holding my breath, although I am sure some would work, be sure to check with some of the higher bit rate ones...
Best,
C
Ps you going to attach a hard drive to the usb ports for streaming purposes, just for sh!ts and giggles?
post #3 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE:

Comcast showed up at 8 AM, and they just barely finished the installation. Apparently, I was the lucky one to get the trainee while the trainer sat outside. After he was done, I was not able to connect to the internet. The trainer had to come inside eek.gif to show him what he did wrong.

Anyway, I just finished connecting all of the iPads and laptops to the wireless network. The speed wireless speed had increased tremendously, and the range covers pretty much the whole house. I've got to go get ready for work in a few minutes, but I will be doing some testing this week.

I've got an external 500 GB hard drive. I'll transfer some high bitrate movies to it, and I'll test the streaming capabilities wire and wireless!
L33TX43RT likes this.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are there any new laptops supporting this 5Gz range? I am also considering to upgrade this router. I also found the following link useful to test LAN speed.

http://www.totusoft.com/downloads.html

Only Lite version can be installed for free. This allows to share folder and test speed of LAN connection.
post #5 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a little bit of time to do some speed test. Download I got 55 Mbps, and Upload I got 11 Mbps. With AT&T U-Verse I used to get around 10 Mbps download and 3 to 4 Mbps upload. So far, I am pretty satisfied biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Hey, no one cares how fast your Comcast is, get busy on the router tests!!!biggrin.gif
post #7 of 62 Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Hey, no one cares how fast your Comcast is, get busy on the router tests!!!biggrin.gif

I wish I could be home right now testing. Before I left I had it hooked up to my UnRaid server to the router to the Dune TV303D, and it didn't have any issues streaming BD movies. My son was watching Kung Fu Panda 2.

It appears the biggest HDD you can have hooked up is 2TB, but you can have two of them since there are two USB ports.

After reading the manual, it says you can access the external hard drive via the cloud. If this is possible I will test streaming outside the network.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 62 Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys, I got home from work, and I was checking all the connection logs when I noticed that my UnRaid server network lease was being disconnected and reconnected every 15 min. I tried setting up a static IP address for it, and for some reason or another it would not take the IP address. I was about ready to blame it on the new router. I happened to remember that I put some linux code in the UnRaid GO file like 6 months ago to try to achieve a better connection. Well, this was causing for the server to lose a connection because the GO file had a different IP address than the IP address provided by the router. So, they were fighting each other.

I am happy that I got that fixed, but now I've got to cut this short since I've got to be back to work in 6 hours. I will be off Wed and Thurs. I will test streaming from an attached external HDD from the ASUS router, and thereafter, I will test accessing these file via the cloud from outside the network. I will post the results as soon as I can.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM

argh...just missed this router from newegg for $120. crap..Now, if only I had a good review of it from someone on the forum...
Hmmmmmm
post #10 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

argh...just missed this router from newegg for $120. crap..Now, if only I had a good review of it from someone on the forum...
Hmmmmmm

I'm apologize for the delay, but I've been fighting with "carrier lost /disconnected " for my server and the wife was pretty upset because the kids couldn't watch any of the movies. I think I finally found the issue and I am hoping it is fixed.

I am transferring three movies to an external hard drive to start streaming test from attached USB external hdd to the ASUS.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmmmmm

I'm apologize for the delay, but I've been fighting with "carrier lost /disconnected " for my server and the wife was pretty upset because the kids couldn't watch any of the movies. I think I finally found the issue and I am hoping it is fixed.

I am transferring three movies to an external hard drive to start streaming test from attached USB external hdd to the ASUS.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While, I was messing around with my network issues, I found out that the ASUS AC66U has a few cool options such as being able to access your external HDD from outside the network, and I am pretty sure I can make it to were I can access my server from outside the network as well. It has some other options for VPN account, which I am not too familiar on how to use, but will explore.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #13 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

STREAMING UPDATE:

I connected a 500 GB external hard drive to the ASUS router, which I can access from my network via Win7 PC / Laptop or via AiCloud. I can also access the router from outside the network vit https website address or the AiCloud as well. I can access the hard drive from both my Dune D1 and TV303D media players as well. I can stream both SD and HD movies from it without any sync issues or lag. This doesn't mean that I can stream wireless....WIRELESS DOESN'T WORK!!!

This are the good news. The bad news. Accessing the router outside your network is DEPENDENT of your internet speed. I WAS NOT ABLE TO STREAM SD OR HD CONTENT BY USING MY 3G connection with my iPhone (Verizon provider). I've got a 10 Mbps upload speed, which by Asus standard is supposed to be able to stream at lead SD quality. So, I will have to continue to do more testing.

I am going to create an account later on, and I might need someone to volunteer to access my network from their network and see if that person is able to access and stream my HDD. I will provide your with the https address, user name and password. I would prefer someone who is familiar with AiCloud app to see if they are able to use the AiCloud.

At the moment, my wife wants me to stop doing this testing "NON SENSE" (her words), and start getting stuff ready for July 4th party!!!

I CAN ONLY STREAM HIGH BITRATE CONTENT VIA WIRED ETHERNET!!!! THIS IS SOMETHING THAT Nethawk DOESN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #14 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM

GusGus,
Pretty cool. I like that you had success with the dunes, I figured outside your network might be iffy. Looking forward to more "non sense" as time permits...biggrin.gif
post #15 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

STREAMING UPDATE:

I connected a 500 GB external hard drive to the ASUS router, which I can access from my network via Win7 PC / Laptop or via AiCloud. I can also access the router from outside the network vit https website address or the AiCloud as well. I can access the hard drive from both my Dune D1 and TV303D media players as well. I can stream both SD and HD movies from it without any sync issues or lag.

This are the good news. The bad news. Accessing the router outside your network is DEPENDENT of your internet speed. I WAS NOT ABLE TO STREAM SD OR HD CONTENT BY USING MY 3G connection with my iPhone (Verizon provider). I've got a 10 Mbps upload speed, which by Asus standard is supposed to be able to stream at lead SD quality. So, I will have to continue to do more testing.

I am going to create an account later on, and I might need someone to volunteer to access my network from their network and see if that person is able to access and stream my HDD. I will provide your with the https address, user name and password. I would prefer someone who is familiar with AiCloud app to see if they are able to use the AiCloud.

At the moment, my wife wants me to stop doing this testing "NON SENSE" (her words), and start getting stuff ready for July 4th party!!!

If you only have a 3G cell phone, that is your bottleneck. You'll probably want to test remote access again from a friends house or work.
post #16 of 62 Old 07-03-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo75 View Post

If you only have a 3G cell phone, that is your bottleneck. You'll probably want to test remote access again from a friends house or work.

My current phone is the iPhone 3G so 3G is all I can get. I was thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5 since it's only $65 dollars + trading in my 4s, but I am going to wait for the new iPhone. I will try to access the HDD from my parents house via their wifi and see how that works.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #17 of 62 Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:

My current phone is the iPhone 3G so 3G is all I can get. I was thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5 since it's only $65 dollars + trading in my 4s, but I am going to wait for the new iPhone. I will try to access the HDD from my parents house via their wifi and see how that works.
If you are eligible or an upgrade do it now, the newer iPhone is not worth the wait...
The lte alone is worth it...
post #18 of 62 Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are eligible or an upgrade do it now, the newer iPhone is not worth the wait...
The lte alone is worth it...

The iPhone 5 will be free when the new iPhone comes out. So I'm not really worried about it. If it isn't free then I won't upgrade.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #19 of 62 Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've been using two AC66U for a few months now (one in bridge mode) and so far I am reasonably happy.

The biggest issue is that the connection between the two drops periodically, sometimes requiring reboot of both.

The latest firmware improved it a bit, so it disconnects much less regularly, but the issue is still there. Much less noticeable and no longer frustrating.

The performance is good, I have fast local data transfers and full internet speed through the bridge (just over 50mbps).

It is not ugly, but it does look like a router, albeit a very decently-built one. However, were I buying today, I would probably have gone for the Apple product, since I find Apple's design considerably better suited to my taste.
post #20 of 62 Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

I've been using two AC66U for a few months now (one in bridge mode) and so far I am reasonably happy.

The biggest issue is that the connection between the two drops periodically, sometimes requiring reboot of both.

The latest firmware improved it a bit, so it disconnects much less regularly, but the issue is still there. Much less noticeable and no longer frustrating.

The performance is good, I have fast local data transfers and full internet speed through the bridge (just over 50mbps).

It is not ugly, but it does look like a router, albeit a very decently-built one. However, were I buying today, I would probably have gone for the Apple product, since I find Apple's design considerably better suited to my taste.

I thought about returning it and trying the AirPort Extreme, but the Asus beats it hands down on functionality, features and price. I don't have dual Asus so I haven't suffer any connectivity issued. My wife and I are very satisfied with it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #21 of 62 Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I went with the Extreme myself, personally for me the added features of the AC66U don't matter much aside from the extra ethernet port. As long as it's fast and stable is all I care about. Aside from playing around with the features of my previous Linksys router when I first got got it a few years ago I haven't touched it aside from the occasional reboots.
post #22 of 62 Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 10
I have that Asus' baby brother, the 56.... also a stellar performer.

I live so far back in the hills, the only internet service available here---so far---is suckegg AT&T DSL. mad.gif
Not sure that'll ever change, here in Resume Speed,KY. rolleyes.gif
Where the mail is delivered bi-weekly.
By a Druid priest, riding a burro. wink.gif
post #23 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

STREAMING UPDATE:

I connected a 500 GB external hard drive to the ASUS router, which I can access from my network via Win7 PC / Laptop or via AiCloud. I can also access the router from outside the network vit https website address or the AiCloud as well. I can access the hard drive from both my Dune D1 and TV303D media players as well. I can stream both SD and HD movies from it without any sync issues or lag.

But wait. According to you that doesn't work. rolleyes.gif

post #24 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

But wait. According to you that doesn't work. rolleyes.gif

Let me explain again:

I can access the attached external hard drive via USB to the ASUS router within my network. I can access it with my PC and laptop. I can access it via my iPhone and iPad as well, but I need to buy / download an app that is capable of playing the video files M2TS and MKV.

I can access the attached external hard drive from outside the network. However, I cannot play the video files at all. This is using 3G Verizon cell phone connection. I have not tested accessing the files outside the network from another PC or wifi connection yet.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #25 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me refresh your memory here:
Quote:
I do not stream HD content wireless since it doesn't work.

and here:
Quote:
And then there are those like you... streaming low bitrate content or transcoding on the fly and streaming isn't the issue. The issue is when you try to stream high bitrate content via wireless.

I'll accept your apologies whenever you're prepared to extend them. biggrin.gif

Moving on, congrats. I'm glad you have it working, glad that another's doubts have been laid to rest.

Cheers.

post #26 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, even with LTE, trying to extend HD content across carrier networks is going to be a big challenge. I think I've seen you participate in forums discussing Plex, this to my knowledge is the best transcoding solution available for mobile clients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by attitudeRN View Post

I have that Asus' baby brother, the 56.... also a stellar performer.

I live so far back in the hills, the only internet service available here---so far---is suckegg AT&T DSL. mad.gif
Not sure that'll ever change, here in Resume Speed,KY. rolleyes.gif
Where the mail is delivered bi-weekly.
By a Druid priest, riding a burro. wink.gif

My cabin in the foothills of the Blue Ridge is in the same situation. I think I pay $70 per month for 4Mbps DSL from my local carrier. Just enough to get HD content from Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go. We do have regular mail delivery, and based on the way he curses at my [very friendly] dogs he was never associated with priesthood, but I can and have readily associated him with an ass. biggrin.gif
attitudeRN likes this.

post #27 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Let me refresh your memory here:
and here:
I'll accept your apologies whenever you're prepared to extend them. biggrin.gif

Moving on, congrats. I'm glad you have it working, glad that another's doubts have been laid to rest.

Cheers.

Again, wireless of high bitrate content doesn't work. However, the only possibility to work would be to have AC capabilities for my PC or Laptop. If you read my post correctly, I've only been able to stream high bitrate content via wire ethernet and not wireless biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #28 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 18
The only solution that I can suggest to break the high bitrate barrier wireless (well, mine was just done on a Wifi-N Router), would be to use Plex Media Server w/ Dune Interface, as long as you don't mind leaving your PC running.
post #29 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33TX43RT View Post

The only solution that I can suggest to break the high bitrate barrier wireless (well, mine was just done on a Wifi-N Router), would be to use Plex Media Server w/ Dune Interface, as long as you don't mind leaving your PC running.

I would need to try to install the Plex plugin in my unraid server, which most likely I won't do since I've had issues before trying to install plugins with unraid.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #30 of 62 Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, wireless of high bitrate content doesn't work. However, the only possibility to work would be to have AC capabilities for my PC or Laptop. If you read my post correctly, I've only been able to stream high bitrate content via wire ethernet and not wireless biggrin.gif

Yeah, ok. rolleyes.gif

Based on this statement, and the fact that you're moving on outside of your network, it might be easy to presume that you have wireless streaming working.
Quote:

Clear as a bell. How did I ever get that wrong?

Carry on.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Asus Rt Ac66u Wireless Router Ieee 802 11ac Rt Ac66u , Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - 1522k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page