Make ISO from home authored DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a few older home shot and menu-authored DVD's that I would like to play with a WDTV live streaming player while retaining the menus. I understand many prefer to use MKV files to immediately just play a disc, but in this case having a menu would be beneficial.

Since the player will play streamed DVD iso's, I am trying to figure out the best tool to rip/convert the disc into an iso.
I don't need or want any compression, shrinking, or anything, just an ISO container for all the original data without losing the menu OR any image quality. Audio is DD 5.1. I saw a thread or two on it here but the ones I saw were over a few years old and dealt with commercial media and older ripping software that I am not sure is still the best tool.

In my case, I can do whatever I want with the files, copy, etc. as there are no restrictions.

FWIW I have NERO and suite editing/authoring software. I can try to find all the original source media and editing project files and re-render and author....but that would be difficult if even possible.

Finally, for those that I don't care about a menu is it better to just copy over the file structure from the Disc to the NAS or should I make MKV's of them?

Thanks,
BJBBJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 430
The program to use is ImgBurn. It is free and really good. Just use it to make an .iso image of your disk and then use the WD Live to play the image. What you will see on the screen is the same as if you were playing the original disk in a player. I do this with all my DVD's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post

Finally, for those that I don't care about a menu is it better to just copy over the file structure from the Disc to the NAS or should I make MKV's of them?
When it comes to DVD's and the WD Live, just leave everything as an .iso. The WD Live works so well with DVD.iso, my feeling is why mess with success. I have hundreds of TV series DVD's ripped as DVD.iso to my servers for playback using WD Lives. In those cases where you have a single title on the disk, like a movie and you just want the movie and not the extras -- I use DVD Shrink to extract the main movie into a main_title.iso and play that on the WD Live.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

When it comes to DVD's and the WD Live, just leave everything as an .iso. The WD Live works so well with DVD.iso, my feeling is why mess with success. I have hundreds of TV series DVD's ripped as DVD.iso to my servers for playback using WD Lives. In those cases where you have a single title on the disk, like a movie and you just want the movie and not the extras -- I use DVD Shrink to extract the main movie into a main_title.iso and play that on the WD Live.
+1 to everything he just said...
a reminder though on copyrighted material you will need anydvd running to remove copy protection on commercial dvd's..
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the help! Everything is non-copyrighted and ImgBurn worked like a charm. Now if I could just get my WDTV to see my Readynas shares! But that is more appropriate to post elsewhere. smile.gif

BJBBJB
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DVD Shrink also converts to .iso & one is able to edit after a fashion, (re-authoring) saving 'clips' as FF's, combining & 're re-authoring' & save as iso
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page