Anyone here try an Ouya as an XBMC Box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm really tempted to pick one of these up to try it out as an XBMC box. I know it's not "fully" supported yet, but I also know it will be. Has anyone used this? The WDTV SMP was NOT a good enough replacement for the Boxee Box by a long shot. It might be that XBMC is the only way I get the movie wall experience I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

you should read this..may be this will help.http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA

there are also some posts from Ouya users on the official xbmc forum as well.Some users reported the xbmc is not stable yet on Ouya but this box does have potential.you just have to wait and see its too early now.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Finally received my Ouya yesterday after ordering last October. I got a chance to load XBMC on it tonight. The hardest part was figuring out the remote, as I didn't realize the center acted as a touch pad. Once I figured that out and how to use the browser (type a URL), I was able to download the package listed on the following page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA. I installed the package, launched XBMC and then had a heck of a time trying to add a source with the Ouya remote. I ended up shutting it off and hooking it up to my PC so I could browse with Windows Explorer since it appears to be lacking SSH. After locating the userdata folder, I copied over my sources.xml file that I had created for my Pi.

How does it run? The first thing I noticed is that the menus are much snappier than the Pi. I didn't notice any lag while browsing. I then tested ISO playback since my Pi refuses to play them. I found that any ISO ripped without the menus played fine. Any ISO with the menus refuse to play, just like on the P, which sucks. CPU usage shows readable numbers for CPU0 and CPU1, but that is all I can see. They consistently total to about %70 which looks like a little less than a quarter of the CPU meter overall. Memory is sitting at about 56%. This is after starting the Ouya, launching XBMC and heading directly to System Info. While streaming an ISO via a SMB share on my NAS, memory only went to 57% and the overall CPU meter bounced between about 25% and 40%. Playback was very smooth for me. I don't have any HD rips to test with, sorry. I'll see if I can find something to test with and report back. With that said, understand that I'm coming from an original XBOX and then a Pi without HD content. The Ouya runs circles around the Pi in my opinion.

If there is anything specific someone wants me to test, let me know. If I can figure out how to take a screenshot while in XBMC with the Ouya remote, I'll be happy to post some pics. I think I'll try a Flirc or an IR reciever next to see if I can use my Harmony remote. If those don't work I'll invest in a bluetooth keyboard.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

I'm really tempted to pick one of these up to try it out as an XBMC box. I know it's not "fully" supported yet, but I also know it will be. Has anyone used this? The WDTV SMP was NOT a good enough replacement for the Boxee Box by a long shot. It might be that XBMC is the only way I get the movie wall experience I want.

Really you should be looking at the Pivos XIOS DS if want a more stable XBMC experience, use the linux/xbmc firmware on it and that will give you want you want. The XIOS is also licensed for Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio, the Ouya is only licensed for Dolby.

You will also need a micro SDcard for the XIOS to save all the data to like the coverart works XBMC downloads, the Ouya has no SD card slot at all so your screwed if you want to use the media library.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 AM

The Ouya does have a usb port though.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammenwurfer View Post

The Ouya does have a usb port though.

Yeah but theres a reason the XIOS doesn't use the USB port, if I recall Android randomizes the USB ports, basically your USB drive wont stay in the same place as the OS sees it (regardless of what you see) so XBMC cant count on folder X being in the place it needs to be in order to save data. If the folder is not in the right place then it throws a massive spanner in the works, maybe the Ouya team can rework the way USB works on Android but I wouldn't assume they will resolve it just yet.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Ouya Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page