Connecting Two Routers Possible? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^ This is correct. With same SSID a device can hand off to a different AP as it roams about a space. Choose different channels, be sure they don't overlap. With a particularly large home it may be necessary to install more than one bridge. I would start with two, see if there is a big loss of speed between the two APs, then consider one in the middle depending on results.

You should be able to auto-connect to a network (SSID) if the client already knows about it. If this is causing trouble broadcasting the SSID until the client learns the network should help. Note though that broadcasting your SSID in an area where multiple networks exist (apartment building, for example) allows for a performance hit each time another device tries to connect. Since devices will attempt to auto connect this could be a pretty big hit.
dmarqueset likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I had the same requirements as you and here's the product I used. I needed ethernet connections in the basement theater for my AVR and blu-ray player. This isn't technically a bridge, but a range extender. Picks up the wifi signal from my main router and re-broadcasts it. Also has 4 ethernet ports on the back. I have mine in a closet under the stairs and have no problems with signal strength. I am not a techie and hate setting up computers, networks, etc. This was pretty easy to get up and running.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN2000RPT.aspx#
mijotter likes this.
post #33 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

I had the same requirements as you and here's the product I used. I needed ethernet connections in the basement theater for my AVR and blu-ray player. This isn't technically a bridge, but a range extender. Picks up the wifi signal from my main router and re-broadcasts it. Also has 4 ethernet ports on the back. I have mine in a closet under the stairs and have no problems with signal strength. I am not a techie and hate setting up computers, networks, etc. This was pretty easy to get up and running.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN2000RPT.aspx#

Bacon, I have the same unit but through the standard setup and Netgear recommendations, they prefer you stick with the SSID_EXT naming convention and were recommending against using the same SSID. I may have to go back and ensure channels are different between devices because I may have been experiencing issues due to that when I kept the SSID names the same.

Thanks all - appreciate the data points.
post #34 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Mine does indeed use the SSID_EXT when it rebroadcasts.
post #35 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Guys thanks so much for the help. Would I need to hook my BD player, Receiver, and PC to the desktop switch in order to have them all on the same network? Or since the Bluray will be connected to the AVR via HDMI do I not need to cat6 that that as well? So I know how many cables to run before I put my drywall up this week hopefully.

Is this open drywall just in the basement? Is it possible to run a cable from upstairs to the basement? If so, then you wouldn't need the bridge.
post #36 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarqueset View Post

Is this open drywall just in the basement? Is it possible to run a cable from upstairs to the basement? If so, then you wouldn't need the bridge.

The open construction is only in the basement.

post #37 of 56 Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 PM

I always recommend wired if possible. Do you know if you have a good signal in the basement? Will you stream video from the web or will it all be on the HTPC? If you are not going to stream things from the web then disregard my questions as everything would be local. I have a U-verse router as well and it's wireless performance wasn't great. I wasn't able to stream Netflix and other video wirelessly reliably using the U-verse router. I purchased a Netgear router (WNDR4500), connected it to the U-verse router via CAT6 and turned off the wireless on the U-verse router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

If your access point is properly connected, the correct term would be a wireless bridge, yet this setup will work. A traditional access point requires a hardwired connection to the network and then wireless devices connect through it. A bridge will connect w wired device to the network over a wireless path. There are specific devices dedicated for this application (example).

Obviously, all of your devices in the basement will be limited by the quality of the wireless connection. If there is any way to run a hardwired connection to the basement instead, that would be the ideal setup.

edited for clarification

edited to add emphasis on signal quality
post #38 of 56 Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The wireless signal in the basement is actually pretty good. I can stream a 1080p video on youtube no problem. I will be streaming video from my HTPC as well as Netflix and such.

post #39 of 56 Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

The wireless signal in the basement is actually pretty good. I can stream a 1080p video on youtube no problem. I will be streaming video from my HTPC as well as Netflix and such.
You do realize that Youtube 1080p is not really 1080p, and that the bitrate is only around 6-7mbps, just like every other IPTV service out there, with the exception of Vudo or Amazon.com
post #40 of 56 Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I was able to stream Transformers on Netflix no problem at all down there so that's good:)

post #41 of 56 Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Liked: 16
mijotter = find a way to get it wired man. you'll regret that someday when you'll get addicted to HiFi's and FLAC files as well as HD videos.

nethawk = please educate me on how to do the DHCP reserve on every device connected. im a newbie too. but i did labeled with stickers each of my devices with their specific IP and didn't include those range to the DHCP IP range. thanks!

so far, im good with that. but devices connected are growing specially on the coming thanksgiving and black friday where family gatherings and electronic shopping is too hard to resist.

XIM edge, ps3, yamaha RX-A1000, adcom GFAii, polk SDA2a, 65" toshiba LCD......more and more to come.....work, work, work!!!!
post #42 of 56 Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Well I was able to stream Transformers on Netflix no problem at all down there so that's good:)
That is because the max stream size for Netflix is around 6-7mbps as I stated above.
post #43 of 56 Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What should I do as a true test then?

post #44 of 56 Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Do you have any full Blu-ray rips? One test you can do is to connect one machine or network harddrive to the U-Verse router via CAT6 and try to stream the movie from another machine. If there is buffering, pixelation, etc. then that may mean you have speed issues.
post #45 of 56 Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

some test video samples

http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/
post #46 of 56 Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygax View Post

nethawk = please educate me on how to do the DHCP reserve on every device connected. im a newbie too. but i did labeled with stickers each of my devices with their specific IP and didn't include those range to the DHCP IP range. thanks!

Every router is different, but this capability should be in either network setup/DHCP server settings or DHCP configuration - active leases. The web interface of your wireless router should have an option to reserve each host.

post #47 of 56 Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, reviving this because there are some sales going on and i'm actually to the point where I'm ready to buy what I need. Would this work for what I need it to do from my original post?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HO9DK4

Does it need to be DLNA certified?

Also, for a desktop switch. What specs am I looking for for good quality performance.

Thanks.

post #48 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #49 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
How many devices do you need to connect? I say go simple and just get a wireless bridge (think of it as a wireless AP + 4 port switch built into one device).

If I was buying a bridge right now, I'd go with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-AC-Universal-Connector-WUMC710/dp/B0090DX8O8

I haven't used the one above, but I've had good luck with the Linksys Wireless N bridge which is similar.

You many not have Wireless AC right now with the Uverse router, but I'm guessing you'll probably want to upgrade to it eventually. I'm not sure if Uverse allows you to use your own wireless router or not.
mijotter likes this.
post #50 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Also, for a desktop switch. What specs am I looking for for good quality performance.

Thanks.

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/

Now this is the low end of their "business" line - I have had good luck with them.
mijotter likes this.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #51 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO-Phoenix View Post

...using the same SSID. I may have to go back and ensure channels are different between devices because I may have been experiencing issues due to that when I kept the SSID names the same.

I cannot imagine why they would suggest using different SSIDs. If you do AND you are moving around the home (say with a phone or tablet) then each device has to be configured with settings for each different SSID.

There are brands which use a centralized controller (software or hardware) and the default is typically the same SSID for all units (except in special cases).

There are also brands which offer "zero handoff" which is intended to improve performance which moving around the home with a device - when this feature is configured you will typically set all APs to the same channel as well as the same SSID.

Example:

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

post #52 of 56 Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

I cannot imagine why they would suggest using different SSIDs. If you do AND you are moving around the home (say with a phone or tablet) then each device has to be configured with settings for each different SSID.
I can't either. Your connection would need to be re-established every time you moved between SSIDs. Bad things happen then.

When I was running two access-points (one Buffalo and one D-Link), I had them both set to the same SSID and the same channel. For the most part, hand-offs were seamless when moving between access-points. Even when I had them on separate channels, hand-offs were reasonably reliable. I've never had hand-offs be 100% reliable, but I assume that was due to coverage issues. I have since gone with just one access-point and a high-gain antenna, which is 100% reliable.
post #53 of 56 Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #54 of 56 Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So this Netgear router wouldn't work as the bridge?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRJY4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

in general most retail devices sold as a "router" do not have an option for use as a "bridge". I'm not familiar with this router in particular to know for sure. It is possible for many routers to install 3rd party firmware to allow bridge mode use, however, I do not know whether this router has any 3rd party firmware available.

In my experience, hacking firmware to enable bridge mode is a mixed bag at best and overall a frustrating experience. Unless you enjoy debugging networking issues, I would just advise buying a bridge if that is truly what you want.
post #55 of 56 Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
An Apple Airport Express is a good quality and low cost bridge capable router you can buy (5Ghz 802.11n supported, most cheap bridges only do 2.4Ghz), use an ethernet switch with it to add more ethernet ports.

1) Power on the Airport
2) Install Airport utility and it will look for the device
3) Select manual set-up
4) Go to the Airport\Wireless tab and select join a wireless network
5) Select existing wireless and input password then hit update
5) After the Airport reboots plug in your ethernet.

Some of the high end Netgear 802.11ac routers do have a bridge mode in their settings but those cost quite bit more.
post #56 of 56 Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

If the OP wants to extend a wired network using a bridge he can just use a wireless access point in client mode.

No need to confuse the issue with talk of a second router.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Netgear Prosafe Gs108p Ethernet Switch
Gear in this thread - Gs108p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page