Seeking suggestions for a media player with .iso file support, Amazon Instant video support, vudu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Seeking suggestions for a media player with .iso file support, Amazon Instant video support, vudu (these three I need).

I would prefer android based systems, if possible but I can't seem to find a unit which would support .iso files. I have converted all of my DVDs and home movies to .iso files already. I need this format to be supported.

Currently using Micca ep600 media player with Mediasonic H82-Su3S2 8 bay external hard drive enclosure with 5 drives of 2 TB each.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576012

I want to replace the Micca with a new media player with Amazon Prime's instant video app.

Suggestions?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 195
HTPC? Does all that and then some, including DVR duty and live TV.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 592
HTPC is your answer. I know that WDTV Live plays Netflix, Hulu and Vudu, but it doesn't do Amazon instant video.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A Roku can do everything you need. ISOs can be streamed via Plex, and there is a dedicated Amazon Video and Vudu app.

An Android stick will play ISOs via Plex and will have a Vudu app. Sadly Amazon hasn't released a video app for it.

A Google TV device will do Plex and Amazon, but I don't believe Vudu is available.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

A Roku can do everything you need. ISOs can be streamed via Plex, and there is a dedicated Amazon Video and Vudu app.

An Android stick will play ISOs via Plex and will have a Vudu app. Sadly Amazon hasn't released a video app for it.

A Google TV device will do Plex and Amazon, but I don't believe Vudu is available.
I have to ask why you'd consider Plex (which has to run on a PC to transcode and serve the video) a better solution than using that PC directly as a HTPC. confused.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I would prefer not to use htpc. I would not want to use anything with Windows operating system - for sure it would slow down. Besides, I don't want to deal with "which graphics card", boot up etc.. Btw, on a side note, I got out of the Windows dependency. I have been using linux/ubuntu for a few years and am pleased but I don't want a Ubuntu htpc either.

While I dislike all things microsoft, I am a fan of all things google. How ever, I see that google tv media player devices are not yet perfected (fan of amazon and its user reviews).

The Micca I have works fine but it does have an occasional trouble, recognizing all of my drives from my media bay. It does not have amazon instant.
I tried two xtreamer media player models in the past and they are just junk. I bought the second/newer unit only because I didn't want to reprogram my universal remotes. I threw the xtreamers out.

I don't know what plex is but it does not seem to me that it would be suitable for me.

I am seeking a "simple" device like a WD or Micca or any such unit..

It seems to me that there is no device, (other than a htpc?) which would do what I seek. I just wanted to check here.

I might have to keep my Micca for .iso files and get a Roku for Amazon.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've been using HTPCs for years, and they're terrible for streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc. These companies typically don't make 10 foot interfaces for PCs (there's the ancient WMC Netflix app but it's terrible now). Most of the solutions are hacked together by 3rd parties and break constantly. Hell, Netflix even stopped providing an API to new developers.

If you want both you generally need two devices these days. Roku for streaming services and then a network media tank or HTPC for your own videos. I have heard the Roku will play dvd iso's via Plex, but I haven't tried it myself.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I would prefer not to use htpc. I would not want to use anything with Windows operating system - for sure it would slow down. Besides, I don't want to deal with "which graphics card", boot up etc..
What do you mean slow down? Also, deal with what graphics card problem? My box has zero slow down, uses the chips gpu (intel 4000 I believe) and has absolutely no issues playing up to max bitrate 1080 files.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would prefer not to use htpc. I would not want to use anything with Windows operating system - for sure it would slow down. Besides, I don't want to deal with "which graphics card", boot up etc.. Btw, on a side note, I got out of the Windows dependency. I have been using linux/ubuntu for a few years and am pleased but I don't want a Ubuntu htpc either.

While I dislike all things microsoft, I am a fan of all things google. How ever, I see that google tv media player devices are not yet perfected (fan of amazon and its user reviews).

The ... Micca for .iso files and get a Roku for Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Quote:

I would prefer not to use htpc. I would not want to use anything with Windows operating system - for sure it would slow down. Besides, I don't want to deal with "which graphics card", boot up etc..
What do you mean slow down? Also, deal with what graphics card problem? My box has zero slow down, uses the chips gpu (intel 4000 I believe) and has absolutely no issues playing up to max bitrate 1080 files.
The crux of the biscuit is he's a Windows-Phobe...rolleyes.gif
(and a fool for trusting Google)
post #10 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

As lockdown571 wrote, HTPCs are often riddled with "issues" - maybe not yours. About the graphics card.. I have to try and figure out which graphics card to buy for the HTPC. They have so many varieties of graphics cards.. from $120 to $1000. Over the years, my son bought a few graphics cards ($300 to $400 range).. Some of them have had issues. I don't want to have to deal with HTPC or graphics card.. I don't know about yours but my windows computers all slow down, in about 6 months of operation. I don't want to turn this into a debate about Windows or HTPCs.. Simplyl stated, I am seeking suggestions for a media player, excluding HTPC

PS: I just ordered a Roku 3.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you want both you generally need two devices these days. Roku for streaming services and then a network media tank or HTPC for your own videos. I have heard the Roku will play dvd iso's via Plex, but I haven't tried it myself.
It seems that my fear that there is no "single device solution" came true. I did order a Roku 3. What is Plex? Is it a device I can buy? How do I play .ISOs on Roku, with Plex?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

It seems that my fear that there is no "single device solution" came true. I did order a Roku 3. What is Plex? Is it a device I can buy? How do I play .ISOs on Roku, with Plex?

See here and here. It's software that runs on a PC, Mac, linux machine, or NAS that serves your media to numerous devices including phones, tablets, PCs, and the Roku, in and outside your network. It's an amazing piece of software IMO but typically requires a powerful machine depending on the kind of media you have. Again, I haven't tested ISOs, but I heard they work on the Roku. Otherwise, Plex generally doesn't support ISOs. MKV's are much better.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Micca Ep600 G2 1080p Full Hd Digital Media Player With 3d Playback 7 1 Hd Audio , Mediasonic H82 Su3s2 Black Probox 8 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page