Video Encoding for Smart TV's. HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awhile back I encoded all of my DVD's and put them on a NAS (Synology DS411). Recently we've purchased 2 "Smart" TV's, both of which have the ability to access a DLNA server. I'm seeing 2 different symptoms with my videos on the 2 TV's. I'll list the TV's and the issues i'm seeing.

All videos were encoded using Handbrake with the "Apple TV" or "Apple TV 2" profiles.

TV 1: Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50

Nearly every video will get to a point and then just stop playing. If I re-encode the video using handbrake "Normal" profile, and be sure to change the audio source from "aac (ffmpg)" to "aac (faac)" then I can get a copy of the video that plays fine on the tv, but I had to re-encode and loose all of the video quality.. plus we're talking a lot of video files.

TV 2: Samsung UN60F7100

This TV can play the same files the Panasonic crashes trying to play, but seems to get out of Sync the further into the video you play. In the course of a 1.5 hour movie the A/V sync is horrible at the end. Once again, re-encoding the video solves the problem using handbrake "Normal" profile, and be sure to change the audio source from "aac (ffmpg)" to "aac (faac)".

Other interesting info: I have a Boxee box at home and the Video file plays perfectly on it, as well as plays perfectly on the PC

So my first question is... is this a problem with the TV, the DLNA server, or the Video files.
1) The fact that both TV's have some issue with the files leads me to believe that the Software playing the files on the TV's just isn't as good as the software in the Boxee box and whatever is wrong, it's just not sophisticated enough to deal with it... It's unlikely I'll get a fix from either TV manufacturer.
2) I tried playing the video on the Samsung tv by playing it off of a USB thumb drive, the video was still out of sync by the end of the movie, but possibly not as out of sync.. but that probably rules out the DLNA server.
3) The video file - This must be at least most of the problem.. considering that a re-encode solves it. Now I just need to figure out what's wrong with the video file/what part of the encode it is that these TV's don't like. I THINK it might be the audio encoding that's messed up.. but that's just a hunch.

Does anyone have advice as to the best way to analyze the video file to try to hunt down the root of the issue? Once I figure that out I need to figure out the quickest/least destructive way to repair the files.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You could try outputting MKV container with AC3 audio. That should be compatible with the widest range of devices. If that plays okay, you'll know that the problem was indeed with the audio.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

yes, I will definitely be using a different profile when encoding videos in the future... though I'd like them to be in a format that allows them to be copied to apple devices, so I'm stuck with mp4's with pretty strict parameters... as far as fixing the existing videos I'd like to not re-encode the video if at all possible.. I'm ok with re-encoding the audio. At this point I'm almost certain it's a combination of the inferior software on the TV's and some sort of glitch in the audio of the files.

Unfortunately all of the DVD's I've copied onto the NAS are packed away somewhere in the basement and I'd REALLY rather not dig out the box and go through the process of ripping them all again.... so I'm looking for a way to get them to a good format while touching the video as little as possible.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
1) TV media players tend to be not so robust or polished as dedicated ones.

2) It's odd that your audio was encoded in aac (ffmpeg) as ATV2 & Normal profile in Handbrake defaults to aac (faac).

3) I suspect it's your audio track is the problem , however the tools to re-do the audio, pass-through the video and output in MP4 container I'm not sure on.

If you have a Apple Mac you could try IVI which has a video pass-through option, not sure if you can force it to re-do the audio.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I have access to a mac, so I'll try out that software.

What's interesting is that I'm not positive what it used for audio when it was encoded, when i was playing with different encoding options I saw that it defaulted to ffmpeg, so I switched it to faac, it's possible that I had messed with the profile at some point or something.. I couldn't even find a way to change the default encoder. I think on the one that ended up working I actually just used the "normal" profile and switched the default audio encoder.. so there may be some difference between the "Apple TV 2" and "normal" profiles that I don't know about.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L42e50 42 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv , Synology Ds411 4 Bay Nas Server For Workgroups And Offices , Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - L42e50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page