Home media networking question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current setup consists of an Apple Time Capsule as our wireless router. I have an external hard drive with all my movies and TV shows on it connected to the Time Capsule via USB. Sometimes when I playback the video on a Mac Mini or another computer altogether (via the Wi-Fi) the picture can get all pixelated and freeze. I then usually have to transfer my files off the external HD onto whatever computer I'm watching them on so they play smoothly. Is there any "smoother" way to set this up?

Some more details:

The Time Capsule's memory is too small for me to transfer all my videos to it. (Although I am open to buying a new bigger 3TB one if that will solve my issues.)

I watch the videos using VLC. The formats are usually AVI, MP4, and MKV.

I watch on a 2009 Mac Mini hooked up to a TV, a (not the newest but last years model) MacBook Air, a 2 year old Gateway PC, and a late 2012 iMac.

I'm guessing the problem is streaming off a USB device over Wi-Fi, I'm just not 100% certain on the speeds. What is the speed of USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11n, and average playback speeds of the above formats (I know this depends on how it was created).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If you have a Mac Mini hooked up to a TV why connect the USB drive to a TC at all, just plug it into the Mini. Might even perform better if streaming to other devices, especially if you install a UPnP/DLNA server on the Mac Mini like TVMobili or Serviio as DLNA works best for wireless links. The PC's and Macs would have to access media through a UPnP/DLNA client though, in VLC View --> Playlist -->Local Network -->Universal Plug’n Play or in XBMC for instance (go to videos/files add source browse UPnP, add server).

Buying a new TC is not a good idea, buying a Synology DS112J NAS and sticking your HDD inside is. TC's are very limited devices and do not perform as well as a proper NAS for streaming media, also Synology comes with DLNA server built in.

Another option is buy powerline adapters which send network over wireless, tend to be faster than wireless links.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Since that Mac Mini is a couple of year old (2009), would it be better just to get an external that can connect via Thunderbolt to my new iMac and share it that way?

I have almost 3TB of media, I definitely think some kind of a server may be necessary too.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since that Mac Mini is a couple of year old (2009), would it be better just to get an external that can connect via Thunderbolt to my new iMac and share it that way?

No that would be utter overkill, the USB2 link is not the problem. It's a combination of the TC, wireless, Samba/AFP (network protocol). Installing a DLNA server on Mac Mini should give it the necessary speed boost but if it doesn't then the wireless simply isn't good enough.

You can get Thunderbolt drive and hook it up to your iMac if you really want but it's completely unnecessary.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

...DLNA works best for wireless links. ...

What is your source for this? I've never seen anything that suggests that DLNA is somehow optimized for wireless.

Craig
post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeklo View Post

I have almost 3TB of media, I definitely think some kind of a server may be necessary too.
Your problem lies in your wireless network vs your files bitrate.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post

What is your source for this? I've never seen anything that suggests that DLNA is somehow optimized for wireless.

Craig

In terms of network protocols transfer speed DLNA is the fastest which makes it ideal for wireless where transfer speeds are often an issue.

Samba/SMB has a lot of overhead which can impact wireless media streaming, NFS is also faster than Samba so a better fit for wireless but not many people have access to that. So if your files are stuttering over wireless then simply changing to DLNA can give it the extra boost needed. It cant work miracles if your files are beyond your wireless network speed then there's nothing that can be done.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

So either install a server on the Mac Mini and connect the hard drive to it

Or put an internal hard drive into a DLNA powered bay and connect it to the Time Capsule (or Mac Mini?)
post #9 of 11 Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeklo View Post

So either install a server on the Mac Mini and connect the hard drive to it

Or put an internal hard drive into a DLNA powered bay and connect it to the Time Capsule (or Mac Mini?)

Yes, Mac Mini seems the best approach really if thats what you use primarily to watch media. Also simply try it before spending money on anything else.

With Time Capsule as a router you would need a NAS with DLNA server plugged into it, see anything from Synology.

The Time Capsule itself although a NAS cannot function as a DLNA server as Apple do not support the technology, hell they don't even support their own iTunes Homesharing on the thing.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

In terms of network protocols transfer speed DLNA is the fastest which makes it ideal for wireless where transfer speeds are often an issue.

Samba/SMB has a lot of overhead which can impact wireless media streaming, NFS is also faster than Samba so a better fit for wireless but not many people have access to that. So if your files are stuttering over wireless then simply changing to DLNA can give it the extra boost needed. It cant work miracles if your files are beyond your wireless network speed then there's nothing that can be done.

Again, what is your source for this?

I am not a network guy but my understanding is that DLNA is a set of protocols focused on interoperability between devices. I've been following this stuff for years and I've never seen any study that concludes that it provides a lower-overhead transfer of the media files than other alternatives. I seriously doubt that the choice of protocol could have a noticeable impact. Wireless is at the mercy of the everything else in the electromagnetic spectrum in that specific location. I think that is far more likely to be the source of the OP's problem.

However, I could be wrong; that's why I'd like to see your source.

Craig
post #11 of 11 Old 07-13-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It does offer lower overhead as dlna/upnp are basically http streams. But the deference is small and the lower overhead still does not make up for wireless latency which is were the issue is.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds112j 1 Bay Nas Server For Home Users
Gear in this thread - Ds112j by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page