Streamer with Genre sorting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does any of the current streamers have the ability to sort movie collection by genre?
I have close to 1500 BD rips(mkv/1080p) on my network and currently organize them alphabetically. Would love to be able to sort by genre(comedy, si-fi, etc).

My current setup is wdtv live via NFS to synology 1812+

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Morbidz,

I have a Dune Smart D1 running the Zappiti jukebox, and a Netgear NeoTV-550. They are both end-of-life, although they are not that old.

On its own, the Dune does no sorting. But Zappiti allows the Dune to access your movies by "Categories", which is its version of genre. It is not a "live" sort, but a pre-built index created on your PC by Zappiti and then loaded for access on the Dune.

The NeoTV-550 is much better. It is a live sort that allows you to access movies by genre, director, actor, year or decade.

Sorry, but I can't answer for the newly-released players, as full BD menus is one of my requirements.
morbidz likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-06-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Pch a400 is a dynamic jukebox that supports sorting by year, genre, rating and almost anything else on the fly.
morbidz likes this.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pivos/Aios with the SRJG video jukebox does. Also allows text searches for movie titles.
morbidz likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Halfelite,
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Pch a400 is a dynamic jukebox that supports sorting by year, genre, rating and almost anything else on the fly.
How does that work? I would love the ability to do an arbitrary sort. Specifically, I have a need to select by studio. Selecting by DP and editor would be nice, as I do with the director on the NeoTV.

I would get the A400 this second if I could sort by studio.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Halfelite,
How does that work? I would love the ability to do an arbitrary sort. Specifically, I have a need to select by studio. Selecting by DP and editor would be nice, as I do with the director on the NeoTV.

I would get the A400 this second if I could sort by studio.

I will check in a bit if you can do by studio. The A400 scanner scans to a sqllite db so in theory any option that is in the db would be able to be sorted They have the presets so let me check which options it lets you sort by and if its not there maybe start a thread on NMT forums for more sort options. Yamj is also going to a db driven structure so eversion and things will be able to sort again by any information. Yamj3 and eversion is most likely the best option for sorting by editor and things as that is most likely a rare request. But give me a few hours, in the process of grouting my bathroom so cant check NMJ sort options
post #7 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Funny, this is one of those things that the Boxee Box always did well. smile.gif And with no configuration necessary.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

Funny, this is one of those things that the Boxee Box always did well. smile.gif And with no configuration necessary.

boxee box has an awesome UI But sadly it was the rest of the box and playback performance that took the hit. It had the potential just no one will to bring it all the way.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

boxee box has an awesome UI But sadly it was the rest of the box and playback performance that took the hit. It had the potential just no one will to bring it all the way.

True, but XBMC plays very well on moderate performance pcs. For me the Intel NUC, Flirq and OpenElec with XBMC streaming media from my network storage has been the best setup I've ever had.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post

True, but XBMC plays very well on moderate performance pcs. For me the Intel NUC, Flirq and OpenElec with XBMC streaming media from my network storage has been the best setup I've ever had.

Yes xbmc is nice, My only gripes with xbmc is the cost of buying the machines. 350$+ for each room is pretty expensive. and the whole family experience is lacking, to maintain the db for multiple units you have to run sql and things it becomes a hassle.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Well, you can get into xbmc for a LOT less than 350. My Pi's do 1080 just as well as my NUC. The interface isn't near as fluid though. But there are several options that will play more intense skins and be well under 350$, can even do it for under $200.

I have used dozens of different players, I haven't had an optical drive in my entertainment setup for 6 or 7 years now and I have yet to find any device that offers the experience that xbmc does.
I have 3 xbmc devices in the house now, my nas does a sql server, but I really didn't think it was worth the effort, each device scrapes on start up.

But to each their own. I have yet to find a interface that is more flexible and configurable than xbmc. To me, the xbmc interface is an experience in it's own.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the original rasp pi before revB. the one that had issues with 1080p so it left a bad taste. Its hard to get working hd audio for under 350 unless there is a new box out. Isn't the nuc 350$ and sql for my setup is a must to keep track of already watched I'm a heavy tv watcher so keeping track of last ep is a must. I have been waiting for a sigma or realtek based box that could do it all with an xbmc interface for under 150 $
post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I had the original rasp pi before revB. the one that had issues with 1080p so it left a bad taste. Its hard to get working hd audio for under 350 unless there is a new box out. Isn't the nuc 350$ and sql for my setup is a must to keep track of already watched I'm a heavy tv watcher so keeping track of last ep is a must. I have been waiting for a sigma or realtek based box that could do it all with an xbmc interface for under 150 $

How are you managing watched shows between devices now? As far as I know xbmc is the only device that even has this option.
Yea, the nuc is ~350, but I'm sure if a person was to build a htpc one could do it for ~200 as on the xbmc forums. The nuc is nothing special hardware wise, it's actually less than what my ultrabook is spec wise, I just went with it cause it was a nice all in one solution and its so small.

The gbox mx2 does hd audio I believe and it's $100, I'm sure there are other android based solutions, although I personally don't like them but lots do.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post

How are you managing watched shows between devices now? As far as I know xbmc is the only device that even has this option.
Yea, the nuc is ~350, but I'm sure if a person was to build a htpc one could do it for ~200 as on the xbmc forums. The nuc is nothing special hardware wise, it's actually less than what my ultrabook is spec wise, I just went with it cause it was a nice all in one solution and its so small.

The gbox mx2 does hd audio I believe and it's $100, I'm sure there are other android based solutions, although I personally don't like them but lots do.

Popcorn hour boxes, using both YAMJ and NMJ they all share the same DB. NMJ uses an SQLlite db so as long as you let PCH create the db on a share that all boxes can see they all share the same watched db and any box can add new content to the db. Yamj with PCH is a little bit more work and not as neat, as you have to have multiple things running, I have a cron job set to update my yamj xml files every 6 hours then i run tracktv user script which monitors what the PCH boxes play then passes this information to my yamj scan. So the YAMJ solution is not as realtime as the NMJ but I like yamj better.

I did not think there was any android they supported full passthrough, Guess I will research again, I have tried all the android units start with the orginal mele, the rasp pi verA that had trouble with 1080p, now I have an ouya im playing with.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Popcorn hour boxes, using both YAMJ and NMJ they all share the same DB. NMJ uses an SQLlite db so as long as you let PCH create the db on a share that all boxes can see they all share the same watched db and any box can add new content to the db. Yamj with PCH is a little bit more work and not as neat, as you have to have multiple things running, I have a cron job set to update my yamj xml files every 6 hours then i run tracktv user script which monitors what the PCH boxes play then passes this information to my yamj scan. So the YAMJ solution is not as realtime as the NMJ but I like yamj better.

I did not think there was any android they supported full passthrough, Guess I will research again, I have tried all the android units start with the orginal mele, the rasp pi verA that had trouble with 1080p, now I have an ouya im playing with.

I was just reading up on how to put XBMC on the Ouya, from what I read it looks like it handles XBMC and heavier skins (Aeon Nox) just fine. Might have to pick on up to play with.

Very interesting to know that feature is available with the Popcorn hour. Is it any specific model or all models?
post #16 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

all models from 200/300/400 series support the New NMJv2 jukebox. Coming from xbmc the jukebox would not compare much its lacking items like no boxsets and such
post #17 of 17 Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Replying to my own question wink.gif
Picked up wdtv smp and genre sorting is great! Actually got 2 of them and with media library on I'm able to resume watching the video on either player.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player , Netgear Ntv550 , Popcorn Hour A 400 Network Media Jukebox
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page