Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey guys,

I have an MED600X3D running F/W v2.0.0, hooked up to an Anthem MRX700 receiver via HDMI. Audio is set to Passthrough, and video is set to HDMI Auto, with 23.976 enabled and Auto Frame Rate off. My Anthem receiver is set to pass HDMI video through to my Sony projector untouched. All of my media streams to the MED600 via a wired Gigabit network from my Windows 7 PC running Hanewin.

All of my Bluray rips stream and play fine. Absolutely no stutter. They all play as 1080p/23.976fps correctly. However, if I try to watch one of my few DVD rips, they stutter. Not a network stutter, but a framerate stutter, like there is a mix-up somewhere. Media Info for one of my DVD rips shows that the video is 480p/23.976fps (with 2:3 Pulldown) but when the MED600 sends the video to my Anthem receiver it is picked up and displayed as 1080p/29.970fps therefore causing onscreen stutter.

I have also tried two other MED600X3D's in my house on two separate TV's (a Panasonic plasma and Sony LED) with Yamaha receivers but the same issue happens with the DVD rip being playbacked as 1080p/29.970fps instead of 480p/23.976fps. This shows that it is not my receiver/TV setup causing the playback issue (as all three TV's and all three receivers are all set to "Through" for HDMI video). I have also tried enabling Auto Frame Rate on the MED600 and forcing 1080p/60hz output on the MED600 with the same result. I can further confirm it is the Mede8er where this problem starts because simply hitting the Info button the Mede8er remote shows that the movie is playing as 1080p/23.937fps.

I used MakeMKV to rip all my DVD's to MKV format and then TSMuxer to convert to .TS format (stock settings for each program).

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I think this is actually an issue with makemkv you can follow this http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3778 and again here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3871

its something to do with makemkv and the pulldown flag.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

I think this is actually an issue with makemkv you can follow this http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3778 and again here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3871

its something to do with makemkv and the pulldown flag.

Combining your helpful links with some hardcore Google searching regarding MakeMKV and 24 vs 30fps for DVD's, it actually seems like this is a software issue during ripping and not the Mede8er's fault.

If that's the case, what is the easiest way for me to test that this is the case later tonight? I can play all of my DVD rips in VLC (whether its .TS or .MKV format) just fine.....it's only when I stream them to the Mede8er that there is a problem.
Since it's only about 30 movies that have this issue, can I just Remux the movies in MKV Merge or TSMuxer with some sort of custom setting to fix or bypass this issue?

Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Figured it out.

As stated, I used MakeMKV to rip all of my DVD's to MKV files. However, I had then taken some of those ripped MKV files and remuxed them to .TS format (using tsmuxer). It was these movies, the one that I remuxed from MKV to TS, that were having the jerky/stuttering issues. When the DVD movie is in MKV format Media Info reports it as 29.970FPS with no pulldown and plays back fine on my Mede8er. But if I remux that same MKV to .TS Media Info reports it as 23.976fps with 2:3 pulldown and then during playback on my Mede8er this is when the jerkiness/stuttering happens.

Luckily only 9 of my DVD's were in .TS format, so all I had to do was demux them into separate video+audio streams (using tsmuxer), then remux into MKV format (using MKV Merge) and voila!

Interesting note: If I tried to directly remux a .TS movie into MKV format (using MKV Merge), the jerkiness and stuttering would still happen. It wasn't until I demuxed each movie into it's video+audio streams separately and then remuxed with MKVMerge did the issue get fixed.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page