Device recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an atom based server hosting my media collection (1200+ movies, 50+ TV shows and 20,000+ songs). I am currently using a Boxee Box running Boxee Hacks in each room to watch the video content. While they do work they are slow, cumbersome and outdated. The videos are all mkv using h264 and 5.1 audio. 1/3 of the movies come from BluRay while the rest come from DVD.

I recently purchased a Roku 3 with the intent of running plex to play all my media. I am certainly glad I only bought one as a test unit. My network is all gigabit and functions fine. After looking at the plex logs my server is keeping up with the transcoding of the mkvs fine but i am experiencing long load times and frequent buffering even at the lowest 1080p setting.

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to play my current files without any problems, be easy to use once setup, be somewhat future proof and most of all just work. The difficulty of setup does not matter but I would like to have an easy to use interface because many people will be using the devices. As for budget I am willing to pay what it takes to accomplish what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for any help and if you need any more info just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Pivos XIOS and use XBMC firmware, should handle all your content no problem.

You will need a micro SD card so it can save data XBMC downloads to, also to flash the firmware. Create an xbmc-data folder on the SD card and thats where XBMC's internal scraper will save everything too also given the size of your library I'd get 64GB micro SD card just to be sure. Alternatively have XBMC run on your Atom server with it's UPnP server active, XBMC clients can access the media library that way. There are some long terms plans to improve this but at the moment XBMC must run for that to work.

You can even use skins, though I dont think there are any Boxee skins that match the exact look of the Boxee Box, there is one based off real old early days Boxee that works but it's completely different. Edit: Work in progress forum has Boxee Inspirat which looks closest but don't know it it will work on XIOS.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I do not mind if it looks like the boxee just need to be intuitive. Will the XIOS handle the 1080p streams ok? Also I currently have a folder structure on my server with fanart backdrops nfo and XML files etc. Because where I live I am limited to 4g. So the less the device hits the net the better.

I just want to make sure this time around i get the best device for me.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #4 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Yes it will handle 1080p video no problem.

As long as the NFO/XML stuff is compatible with XBMC it should work, but I cant say with certainty on that. You could try a dry run with XBMC on your PC.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

The nfo are boxee format the XML are xbmc format so it should be good. How does the XIOS compare to say a dune box or popcorn hour?

post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsvt View Post

The nfo are boxee format the XML are xbmc format so it should be good. How does the XIOS compare to say a dune box or popcorn hour?

XIOS doesn't support HD sound. I own two Dune media players. Mede8er is another good media player and currently the best 3D media player at the moment. FYI none of these media players are perfect.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsvt View Post

For H.264/AC3 content it's perfectly fine.

As GusGus748s says HD audio pass-through isn't supported but that isn't an issue for you I would assume, some older video codecs aren't supported either, basically the main codecs are covered MPEG2/MPEG4/VC-1/H.264. The XIOS has a AppleTV style remote but it could be better, the one major thing going for the XIOS/XBMC is you can meddle with it as much as you like, for instance, dont like the button layout on the remote no problem you can change that. Also Pivos offer probably the fastest tech support of any media player I've seen over the years & that includes turn around time in fixing bugs, I remember asking Boxee to fix my Sony digital camera videos not working and they never did, asked Pivos same and they fixed it in two days.

As to Dune/PCH they have hugely inferior GUI's, if you thought that Boxee was slow wait to you get a load of these. It's not just UI speed it's not very slick in action either.

On the other hand they are old but proven technology, their players will handle most things you throw at them including stuff the XIOS might choke on. Downsides are that in talking to them, Cloud Media (PCH guys) and Dune seem a bit detached when it comes to support or filing bugs though some PCH reps are on their own forums. The players are also locked down you cant make any changes to the underlying software.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

For H.264/AC3 content it's perfectly fine.

As GusGus748s says HD audio pass-through isn't supported but that isn't an issue for you I would assume, some older video codecs aren't supported either, basically the main codecs are covered MPEG2/MPEG4/VC-1/H.264. The XIOS has a AppleTV style remote but it could be better, the one major thing going for the XIOS/XBMC is you can meddle with it as much as you like, for instance, dont like the button layout on the remote no problem you can change that. Also Pivos offer probably the fastest tech support of any media player I've seen over the years & that includes turn around time in fixing bugs, I remember asking Boxee to fix my Sony digital camera videos not working and they never did, asked Pivos same and they fixed it in two days.

As to Dune/PCH they have hugely inferior GUI's, if you thought that Boxee was slow wait to you get a load of these. It's not just UI speed it's not very slick in action either.

On the other hand they are old but proven technology, their players will handle most things you throw at them including stuff the XIOS might choke on. Downsides are that in talking to them, Cloud Media (PCH guys) and Dune seem a bit detached when it comes to support or filing bugs though some PCH reps are on their own forums. The players are also locked down you cant make any changes to the underlying software.

DUNE and PCH have some of the best jukeboxes. Zappiti and Yadis is probably the best jukeboxes I've dealt with. XMBC and the remote is responsive unlike Pivos remote. The only thing XIOS got going for them is the XBMC support.

MEde8er has excellent support. Better than Dune and PCH. Pivos has good support via this forum due to Asaaro (sorry if I misspelled the name).

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #9 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

If the pivos doesn't do hd sound its out. I have a pretty high end surround so i would like to utilize it. Looks like it's between the top model of pch dune and mede8er. Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Keep it coming.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

DUNE and PCH have some of the best jukeboxes. Zappiti and Yadis is probably the best jukeboxes I've dealt with. XMBC and the remote is responsive unlike Pivos remote. The only thing XIOS got going for them is the XBMC support.

MEde8er has excellent support. Better than Dune and PCH. Pivos has good support via this forum due to Asaaro (sorry if I misspelled the name).

Different priorities I guess, I don't care about the look of the jukebox but how fast the GUI is and how well animated it is, from having seen Dune/PCH first hand they both fail on these counts. Having the UI almost stutter and seeing UI elements pop in on a PCH is unacceptable to me, it's like comparing Samsung Smart TV to AppleTV.

Quote:
If the pivos doesn't do hd sound its out. I have a pretty high end surround so i would like to utilize it. Looks like it's between the top model of pch dune and mede8er. Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Keep it coming.

If HD audio is a requirement then you can forget about any XBMC based solution that isn't a PC.

The Mede8er 1000X3D might be worth a look it does HD audio, but frankly speaking the GUI leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page