J.River and ASIO causing stuttering, popping, artifacts (audio and video) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having some trouble setting up my new HTPC for music and ripped bluray playback.

Firstly, what does work:
I can play music (flac) through foobar with direct sound mode.
I can play bluray (mkv) through Windows Media Center.

If I use ASIO drivers with foobar, then I get sporadic skipping once or twice per song..very annoying

Now, in order to simply my setup and make network streaming, smartphone integration, and playback more seamless, I downloaded the trial version of J.River Media Center based on the support on the forum and from many high end media server companies. So far I cannot get smooth playback of any file type on the local machine with any settings. (have yet to try networked devices)

Audio playback has cracking, popping, skipping, jumps....its absolutely horrible. ASIO is the worst mode, but no mode gives me an acceptable result.
If the audio playback was bad, the bluray performance is abysmal. The audio is constantly cracking, popping, and skipping...makes me fear for my speakers. The video is pixelated, freezes and is full of artifacts. I have tried Red October and Red October HQ, both failed miserably.

My system is not the most powerful, but given that it has no problems with bluray through WMC, (CPU usage around 40%) there should be no problem with J.River. Nonetheless the specs are:
CPU: AMD A4-300
MOBO: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333
OS drive: 500GB 7200RPM
Data drive: 2x2TB 7200RPM
Sound: Asus Xonar STX
PSU: 600W

MOBO VGA->18" LCD
MOBO HDMI->Vizio 65"
ASUS STX-(RCA)->Adam A7x

WMC is set up with Shark007 64bit drivers

The J.River software seems to have all of the features I need to manage my music and video libraries, local playback, and network streaming, but if I cant get smooth playback it doesnt matter. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Use UNi Xonar drivers and see if that fixes the audio problems. Asus own drivers are terrible, I got cracking on my Xonar too and the UNi drivers fixed everything.

WMC does not support mkv and that shark007 pack is nothing more than a cosmetic hack (plus codec/driver packs = bad), you will run into problems with things like subtitles.

Plus Windows media center is a dead end, it has no future Microsoft have made that clear, basing a media center around that is not a good idea for the long term, I'd look at XBMC or Plex even J River as alternatives.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I would suggest to post this as the HTPC dedicated forum.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page